720 gallon plywood aquarium build - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > DIY
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

DIY Show us what you've made! Questions, tips and guides on how to do it all yourself!

Old 02-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
vincel892
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough

UPDATE February 8, 2020

Just started on actually putting the tank/stand together. Got the stand completed using 2x6's. The top and bottom frame/verticals are doubled up 2x6's for extra strength. Will be dressing the outside with some finished plywood and most likely using sliding glass doors for the front of the stand.

I also glued the double 3/4" thick pieces of plywood together. Going to let it sit for a week then start assembling the tank itself.
Still not sure about the sump design. Looking into different forms of mechanical filtration as this has been the biggest struggle for me with big tanks. Considering a DIY swirl filter but not sure if that can integrated into a bean animal type overflow. (Any thoughts?)

Last edited by vincel892; 02-08-2020 at 05:50 PM..
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

As they say "K.I.S.S."

Use a dollar store slotted basket and stuff with Dacron floss/batting from FabricLand. Can't get any cheaper than that LMAO.

If its a conventional sump you will be building/farming out, a 12" section with a drip tray and incorporated overflow should the Dacron get clogged.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
vincel892
Devoted Member

UPDATE Feb 16, 2020
Got the main structure built. Top bracing will be installed after glass is put in. Now to seal any gaps, screw holes with bondo.
Then onto painting the inside with epoxy followed by glass installation.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road

Great progress! Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #15
vincel892
Devoted Member

Update March 20, 2020
No better way to spend self isolation than building an aquarium. External overflow box built and installed. Applied 3 coats of black macropoxy to the interior, back and right side. Viewing panels will be painted with a lighter epoxy. I wanted a nicer design on the exterior but cant figure out what or how to do it. Any suggestions ??

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
fish_luva
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (22)
fish_luva is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great project so far. Have you spec'ed out the costs of the materials and glass yet? i might be interested in doing something like this so am very interested and tagging along here.

what are you using for the base of the tank? Plywood? as i noticed in your second last picture with the tank up on the stand that it has not floor in place and next picture it's black... thanks,, keep it going and good work
I Gost MTS in such a short time Is there are cure?, Now have 20 tanks running with copachromis mlotos, Lithobates zimbabwe rocks colony, Peacocks:(lwanda, blue orchid, sulpherhead, sunshine, ngara, stunning German red, Various pleco's, Fossorochromis rostratus, Geophagus, etc..
Member of THE DRAS CLUB & Fishlore : http://www.dras.ca/member.php/719-love-my-fish
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/me...e-my-fish.html
fish_luva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
vincel892
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_luva View Post
Looks like a great project so far. Have you spec'ed out the costs of the materials and glass yet? i might be interested in doing something like this so am very interested and tagging along here.

what are you using for the base of the tank? Plywood? as i noticed in your second last picture with the tank up on the stand that it has not floor in place and next picture it's black... thanks,, keep it going and good work
I honestly lost track of the cost. So many tiny things like hardware, glue etc that just adds up lol. Would say it's definitely cheaper than going all glass or acrylic of the same size. That picture is the tank turned onto its front. So the bottom is plywood.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
fish_luva
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (22)
fish_luva is on a distinguished road

thanks vince and for answering my Pm's... great job
I Gost MTS in such a short time Is there are cure?, Now have 20 tanks running with copachromis mlotos, Lithobates zimbabwe rocks colony, Peacocks:(lwanda, blue orchid, sulpherhead, sunshine, ngara, stunning German red, Various pleco's, Fossorochromis rostratus, Geophagus, etc..
Member of THE DRAS CLUB & Fishlore : http://www.dras.ca/member.php/719-love-my-fish
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/me...e-my-fish.html
fish_luva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium , build , custom , monster , plywood