GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Bob Garside - Breeding Wild Caught Alenquer Cuipeua (Pic Heavy)

10K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Pruss 
#1 ·
Afternoon all.

So I've been chatting with UsAndThem about the group buy for Stendkers discus as I am hoping to take the plunge into a Discus tank for the first time.

At his, and others, encouragement I also got on the horn to Bob Garside and Vern Archer to learn what they currently have coming out of their hatcheries.

Bob was super responsive to emails, and really friendly in his replies. He let me know what he's currently breeding, and shared some exciting news. Last Saturday one of his pairs of Alenquer Cuipeua spawned. He's given me permission to post his photos here, as I thought you guys would get a kick out of them.

In follow up chats, he thinks he has another pair about ready to spawn, and he's also trying to spawn some wild Red Spotted Greens. So exciting things are afoot in Upper Canada.

Here is the link to Bob's website, but I'd encourage you to reach out to him via email for the most up to date information: http://uppercanadadiscus.com/

And now... the pictures:

Cheers,

-- Pat

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm pretty sure I bought my breeding pair off Mr. Archer. It's been so many years I can't remember. But He has pictures of Jack Wattley in his fish room and amazing wild caught discus that he personally caught on one of his trips.

I always hear stories about discus as big as dinner plates and assumed it was an exaggeration Until I was at his house.

If it's the same guy he must be in his late 70's

#13 · (Edited)
The chemistry aspect of sw never appealed to me but I'll give it a try.

The problem with discus is they too are a huge commitment. Huge daily water changes if you're seriously wanting to grow them out. Then RO water to breed them. When they start laying they do it every week like clock work. But some times you have two females and they trick you into thinking you have a pair.

The eggs are hard to hatch and its hit and miss to get the parents to care for them. Then it's hatching brine shimp and feeding them many times a day.

Most growers and breeders recommend a bare bottom tank for all stages.

50% water changes it can get crazy.

After years of raising and getting a few fry grown up to adults.

I decided that if I ever wanted to keep them it's best to buy them as adults pay the money up front. It will cost you that in food and care alone to get them there anyways.

Put them in a nice planted and scaped tank and enjoy.

Issue is they are cichlids and they act like them and you will get a group dynamic that usually ends up with one being bullied. You have to have six at least to spread out the aggression.

All this talk has my palms sweaty just thinking about it.

But good luck, I wish you well and it's a learning experience. But beware it can become a sickness and all you do is think about them.

#16 ·
I'll likely split the difference and go for juveniles in a tank with sand bottom, and hardscaped with driftwood. I'll go with muted and directional lighting and plan to go black water, with an over large canister filtration, UV sterilizer and surface skimmer in place with an inline heater. Once i get the equipment in house I'll start my build thread.

I know that multiple feedings and impeccable water quality make growing out juveniles a challenge, but that's part of the fun. I've reared Angels successfully and am convinced that I can do the same with Discus.

I know that they are a hands on fish, but the level of husbandry required I'd well within my family's capability. Reef keeping? That's a knife edge we need to postpone got a bit.

-- Pat

#17 ·
With discus do not ignore the experience that others have had. Sure try sand bottom and getting decent growth, it's very difficult. I did the same you did when I got my first discus, didn't work out great and I changed alot of water. Goodluck with whatever you choose

#18 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I don't plan on ignoring the well intentioned input from those who've already reared discus. But, for me, that doesn't mean only listening to the folks who prostleatize the merits of bare bottom tanks alone.

The nice thing about our hobby is that there are exceptions to many rules, and many creative people who are constantly pushing the envelope trying new things.

I don't plan to rear fry, and do plan on buying discus that are through the majority of their development. This should help relax the pressure for near constant water changes and feedings which are required while fry are developing.

This isn't to say that water parameters, and feedings, won't need to be rigorously overseen and managed. I fully expect this to be the case, especially at the beginning.

As for water quality, I anticipate using an Eheim 2229 wet dry filter for added bio filtration, plus an Eheim Pro3 2080, plus a UV sterilizer and an Eheim surface skimmer. This all in a 79g tank. So in addition to water changes the water quality should be excellent.

Lastly, I plan to buy strong discus from solid stock which have been raised on tap water. I believe, strongly, that strong genetics aid the hobbyist, and will help me have a successful discus tank.

-- Pat

#26 ·
So I started my journal/build-thread here: http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I'm going to go bare-bottom to start, and then probably will go with TBemba's suggestion and plant in pots or low planting trays once the discus have grown out to more than 4". Given the temps I'm going to be running until they're young adults I think planting might be a mistake.

-- Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.