GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Acrylic vs. Glass Tanks

934 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Lorano 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Will be posting this in both freshwater and saltwater to get opinions from as many people as possible. So after not having a tank for a while I'm finally getting back into it. Only question now is what type of tank I'll be buying, glass or acrylic. I know there are pros and cons to both, but the main thing I'm concerned about regardless of material is leaking and split seams.

Here are the two tanks I'm comparing. The glass tank I've got my eye on is a brand new Miracles custom 300 gallon, 3/4" starfire glass, rimless with internal overflow (can be eurobaced and can add reinforced seams) with internal overflow. The acrylic will be made by a hobbyist that's built many tanks like it, about 300-350 gallons, 3/4" acrylic, eurobraced with internal overflow (can add reinforced seams). So almost identical except for material and maybe dimensions.

I want to hear opinions on all differences between the two types (clarity, strength, durability over the years etc.) but as I said, the thing I care about most is durability and strength of the seams . I can deal with one being more clear than another or more easy to scratch but what I can't have is 300 gallons of water on my floor.

Finally, a little less important but still significant factor is cost. Not of the tanks, those are very close. The moving cost for the glass tank is much higher because I need to pay for the manufacturer to drop off the tank and then again for a moving company to bring enough people to bring it into the house. Estimated cost will be around $600. Plus my patio door is not very wide so a glass tank will have to be put on its side to be brought in which at this size concerns me in terms of damaging the seams or glass because of the stress it places on the bottom facing panel when turned over. The acrylic tank is much easier. It's a lot lighter so half or even quarter the number of people can move it, which means I just need to get 2 more people I know to help me. Even if it has to be turned on its side to be brought in, with less weight I'm not as worried about the stress placed on the bottom facing panel and seams once turned on its side. Might even be able to carry it in without putting it down. In other words a free move not including gas to pick it up.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.