GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Deeznutz 120 extra long

11K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  deeznutz 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, been here for a while but I never really did a build thread here. Tonight I took some pictures and thought I would share.

The tank is just over a year old and its been through a lot of ups and downs, mostly downs but things are starting go my way.

The tank is a Miracles 84x18x18 3/4 starphire

Enjoy :)

IMG_3146 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3141 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3132 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3133 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3131 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3130 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3116 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3115 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3105 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3095 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3096 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3101 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3102 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3103 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3104 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

See less See more
#44 ·
Thank you

WOW. what a beauty.

Looks like i need a new tank urgently :mad:
We all know you will have one soon!

IT Lives!!!!!

Yes, this is indeed an inspiration!
Thanks man. Im pleased at the moment :p

wow gorgeous tank but gorgeous home also! the reno looksamazing. can't believe the change. looks like something off property brothers or something, haha
Thanks man, its been a lot of handwork. Worth it in the end :)

#47 ·
Picture time!

So it a been a while since I posted pics. Actually, I don't think I've ever posted sps picture in this thread. So here are some marcos. I'll post more as I go. I have a ton. lol
I also did a bunch of top down pics. I'll add those as well.

Ok, on to the pics!

[/URL]IMG_4926 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_4931 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5299 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5286 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5277 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5274 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5273 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5265 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5264 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5259 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5258 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5257 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5254 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_5253 by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

#52 ·
Basement Set Up

Hey Deez

I read in another thread that you have a basement sump.

Can you show pics of your set up and how things run down there, very interested in how you made it work.

I think you have one of the best most clean streamline tanks on this forum and was wondering how your sump and mixing station work.

If you have time that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks

#54 ·
Hey Deez

I read in another thread that you have a basement sump.

Can you show pics of your set up and how things run down there, very interested in how you made it work.

I think you have one of the best most clean streamline tanks on this forum and was wondering how your sump and mixing station work.

If you have time that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks
Holy smokes reef at its best...great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. I can and I will describe my basement sump as best as I can. Its my second basement set, although its not perfect and a mess; I will post some pics later tonight.

#55 ·
Ok, so here goes. My fish room, an area I can make a mess and just leave and not have to worry about my wife giving me crap for it.

I'll warn you guys, it still work in process, but it's fully functional. I have a few things I want to add and a few things I want to removed. Theres a 20amp dedicated circuit just for fish stuff :)

Heres a pic of the work area and such. To the left, I have the almighty laundry sink. A must for a basement sump. If i could do it again, I'd look for a double wide sink. Something that I can set up a fragging tray over the sink.

Then comes the sump. I raised it off the ground for a few reasons.

First of all the return pump is pressure rate for 21 feet, but if the pump were to be located on the floor, it would have to pump around 15' of head. Return rate would have been very low about 400gph. Raising the sump 20"gets me to about 750gph which works for my setup. I didn't want to run a high wattage pump so the one I'm using is a Pan world NH-100px and draw rated for 90-115watt and fairly quite.

Secondly having the sump propped up still allows you to siphon water out of it at a decent rate where you can actually siphon out detritus.

And lastly, it makes working on the sump a lot easier on my back and not hunched over or on my knees.

The sump is basically a 125 long tank 72x18x18. I only have one baffle for the skimmer section and the rest of the sump is mainly for live rock. No micro bubbles as they dissipate by the time it moved from one end to the other. Another reason is I'm running a modified bean animal setup that runs the main drain at full siphon where there are no micro bubbles. I also have my auto top off connected directly from my rodi unit. I haven't topped off fresh water in 8 years ;)

[/URL]Fishroom. by deeznutz398, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next is the back wall, I've incorporated a 20 gallon frag tank(recently) and its starting to do well and not grow algae lol. I'm running a Sun blaster 2x 24 watt t5 bulbs and a mp40 for flow.

I also have my dosing equipment on the left. It's an older GHL stand alone unit. Dosing ESV b-ionic. Although expensive, it works the best in my experience. I had my controller there as well, but the control head got wet when my frag tank overflowed. I left the snail guard off the drain :eek: and a snail got in. Unfortuanlty I set the control head down on the counter in front of the frag tank.:mad: I need a new control head now, hence why I'm using a light timer.

Heres my work station, where I do all my testing and data logging. I also do my fraggin here as well. I'd like to put up a large dry erased board as well to keep track of things on the fly. Im usually a fairly neat and organized person, but for some reason this fish room just gets out of hand.

My mixing station is just a 20g brute with a maxi jet. I usually don't run a heater as I find it doesn't impact the temp of the tank when I do water changes.
I basically siphon out 4 five gallon buckets of water out of the skimmer section or frag tank while I'm pumping the fresh mix in. I plan on attaching a tee from the return pump straight into the drain. Also build a high stand for the newly mixed salt water so i can just gravity feed it back into the sump.

Anything and everything work bench. Here I do all one my fish related, and not fish related stuff. You can see on the left the All IN ONE tank I built for my dad.
Just cycling it before I drop it off :)

[

Future plans

-More shelving
-New frag tank and Q tank
-Install a trough style drain so I can just wash down the floors and squeegee it dry.
-Gravity drain salt water mix tank
-tee off return to main drain for water changes
-wiring clean up and organizers.

So that's about it. I'm happy to answer and questions that might arise from this post.

Tanks for following :)

-deez

#56 ·
Wow I tought I loved your tank but your basement is even more impressive.
Your wife must be the most understanding wife/spouse on this forum. Lol.

Thanks for taking the time for showing us your set up.

Do you use chemical filtration?
GFO?
Carbon?

thanks again.

#58 ·
Wow I tought I loved your tank but your basement is even more impressive.
Your wife must be the most understanding wife/spouse on this forum. Lol.

Thanks for taking the time for showing us your set up.

Do you use chemical filtration?
GFO?
Carbon?

thanks again.
Thanks man, it's a great place to get away from the wife and kids. I believe in simplicity and functionally in this hobby. Lets face it, noone likes husbandry. So why not make it as easy as possible? No more are the days on lugging out 5 gallon buckets to siphon out water, just to drag them to the washroom to dump them down the drain.

I used strong skimming from my BK Alpha 250, bio-pellets and a ton of Live rock. I'm also debating on this Siporax?

I used to run a lot carbon and gfo, but I spotted for months. Now I just run a few table spoons of GFO and carbon passively in the sump here and there.

Super sexy working station..luv it...Can you tell me where did you get those spa flex hoses from. I am looking for a 3/4" for my return plumbing of my fragtank. Thanks.
Thanks man, you can get it at any hot tub, pool supply place. I don't think 3/4 is common size for them though.

-dan

#57 ·
Super sexy working station..luv it...Can you tell me where did you get those spa flex hoses from. I am looking for a 3/4" for my return plumbing of my fragtank. Thanks.

#61 ·
Yep I did the same as well and trust me I did not get any skimmate..as soon as I took it off the skimmer started thick skimming again and corals are responding good with growth tips...I am not sure but maybe becus I had 3 reactors running at the same time...

#62 ·
Your tank is stunning. I really like the dimensions gives you a lot of room...great job overall....are you still running those radions at 75% and how high are they from the surface of the water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.