6K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  dl88dl 
#1 ·
Durham Region Aquarium Society's
43rd Annual Fish Show and Auction
Aquariama 2011
April 10, 2011
Ajax Community Centre

More info at www.dras.ca
This is one of the big ones of the season.

#7 ·
will people be able to bump items up for auction by paying a dollar?

will it be a cash as you go type of auction?

when is the latest time to get there to sell stuff?

will sugerglider (John) be there ?

thanks

#8 ·
Hi there Bill,

What is a runner Sir?
I am thinking of attending this 10th annual.
Not a member and have never been to an aqurium show. I am just now at the ripe age of 40 wanting to get involved and invest some of my time into this hobby. I am curious about one of these shows and maybe even lend a hand to those old guys that need a break ; ] as you put it.

#9 · (Edited)
I can answer the runner part for you sir.

Auctioneer auctions a bag of fish off and the "runner" takes the bag and a clip board and delivers the bag to the winning bidder and collects the money and get winner to initial a chit of paper to verify item sold and delivers the money to the people that are collecting all the funds. every bidder has a card with there number on it. It's a great way to see the fish up close and you can bid on them as well when you are a runner. Oh and you make change for winning bidders as well.

Word of caution, once you go to one auction you will be hooked and will spend a great deal of money. ;)

#16 ·
#17 ·
Dang, you got some neat stuffs at great prices too.

BTW, I got there around 2:30pm. Got a new book on waterfalls for $4. A $15 gift certificate, a new net and 3 small bottles of fish food all for $11. A large size anubias on a ABS elbow pipe for $8 lol. At the used item table I got a 6 outlet powerbar for $3.

Something new - I saw a sign on the wall and it says - "Bump a item for $2" This is a great idea if you have to leave early and can not wait for an item that you want.

#20 ·
I picked up 4 pearscale Koi angels for $10, and 4 C. weitzmani corys for $10. There were deals at odd times. Some fish held their value right to the end. Those guppies that went for the high prices were of good quality, according to Doug White. I think there was a pretty good mix of fish and plants, although the auction was a little smaller than other years, probably around 1,000 items.

#28 ·
But this can be a very slippery slope, you can get carried away with having too many fish and tanks. I have to control myself and have 7 tanks I wish I could get down to 2 tanks. :(

#32 ·
Stopped in briefly around noon, had to go to Newmarket for 1 so I just took a look around but was really considering bumping some of the koi angels, they had a lot of orange on them - but I'm in the process of cycling a tank and will be away for a week, not the best recipe for success so I passed.

Does anyone recall how much they went for?

#33 ·
Stopped in briefly around noon, had to go to Newmarket for 1 so I just took a look around but was really considering bumping some of the koi angels, they had a lot of orange on them - but I'm in the process of cycling a tank and will be away for a week, not the best recipe for success so I passed.

Does anyone recall how much they went for?
Three of them goes for anywhere between $15 to $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.