GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Silicone for Sump

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GTACORAL 
#1 ·
which Silicone you guys use to make aquarium or sumps chambers

#5 ·
The GE1200 stuff is awesome. Stinky, but awesome.

One thing I will add here, is that there is a difference between building an aquarium, and just adding baffles. When building an aquarium, you absolutely have to use something like the GE1200 product, which is a structural silicone adhesive. That's the key, it has to be a structural adhesive, not a sealant.

For baffles, odds are the pressures on either side of the baffle will be similar, so for this application, you can use a standard silicone sealant, as it still has strength properties, just not nearly to the level of a structural adhesive. One VERY important point here, is that if you use the typical bathroom sealant stuff for baffles, it CANNOT be the anti bacterial stuff. We want bacteria in our systems.

#7 ·
Personally I would stick to the SC1200, simply because you know it's 100% aquarium safe.

#12 ·
I used SCS 1200 from Canada Corals to install my baffles. Classic dimension 75g tank. Tallest baffle is 16 inch. Tank is 18 inch wide. After a week of curing I filled only 1 side of the baffle. 18" thick, 20" long, 16" high. No leaks, no flex on the silicone.

Stunk real bad for a couple days, so I gave it the full week or more to cure. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.