Redfish BlueFish TwoByTwo's Fish... 120g reborn - Page 4 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Marine Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Marine Photography Show us your stuff! Post pictures of your tanks here.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #31
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

Feedback Score: (17)
twobytwo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesso clown View Post
looking good mate! Just read through.
Could you have (can you still) drill a hole in the stand to allow for the return plumbing to pass through rather than all the way around?

Cheers
Thanks Fesso! The stand is just one of the cheap Marineland Monarch stands - Not exactly the pillar of strong construction, so I don't want to create more holes in a weak stand than I need. I'm going to get a decorative sheet/panel from Homedepot, cut it to size and paint. maybe use magnets to hold it to the stand and it should cover most of the opening.

My ATO is acting up and I need to figure out a solution. I have a Hydor Smart Level and a TOMS aqualifter. The problem is that the pump isn't getting enough water into the sump fast enough. For those that don't know, this ATO runs for a max of 10 minutes and then shuts off so it doesn't burn up pumps. If the water doesn't reach the MAX line in that time, the ATO beeps like crazy. I'm waking up each morning to the ATO beeping. So, I need a faster pump (more than 3.5gallons per hour - for the aqualifter) because dumping .59gallons in 10 minutes isn't enough to overcome the Max line for my ATO and not have the alarm go off. or a new ATO... which is stupid because I just got this Hydor replaced under warranty - it's brand new.

Or I need a new ATO. I might break down and just buy the pre-made with float valves one. Tomg has it and has been happy.
twobytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #32
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

Default ATO problem solved

I had a spare MJ400... cleaned it in vinegar. then I tossed it in the ATO container and attached it to the Hydor ATO. Much better! Fills to the Hydor "Max" line in just over a minute, then shuts off - no alarms. Glad to get that sorted out before I just bought a new pump.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #33
altcharacter
Not a mod!

Feedback Score: (80)
altcharacter has much to be proud of altcharacter has much to be proud of

I literally told you to do that months ago!!!
altcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #34
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcharacter View Post
I literally told you to do that months ago!!!
I was using it at the time for circulation in a frag tank.

Anyway, here's a quick video of my boxing day livestock purchases... Striped Puffer, Goldstripe maroon (looking for a second!) and 2 cleaner wrasses:

Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #35
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

NEW Fish! got a trigger!

Its in my QT:

Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #36
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

just having some fun with my puffer and trigger in qt:

Old 02-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #37
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

Update video...

A bit of algae on my sand. Had to shut down GFO but I'll get it going this weekend.

Puffer and Trigger moved from QT to DT. Cleaner wrasses were also moved but started picking on my Puffer, so now thy live in the sump

Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #38
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

Default Big Day!

WOOOHOO!

After reefing for 2 years and having clowns for much of it, my clowns finally are being hosted by an Anemone!

Previously I had 2 Ocellaris Clowns that lived on my overflow box... Literally. They were stuck to it and often swam up and down facing vertically all day and night. And then later, in the GSP on my overflow box. It was interesting, especially when the female laid eggs (about a week before shutting down before moving) but not as special as it would be seeing them host with a nem.

But, after moving and getting a Pair of Gold Stripe Maroons, I just put them in the Display after QT a few days ago. For the first few days they drifted around the tank, not really showing interest in anything. They didn't even seem to be paired, wandering around independently. But today, just before feeding, I saw the little one checking out my BTA's, just underneath the body, with the bigger one hovering cautiously nearby. After a few moments, the were both having a nem party:

**Just checked on them after the lights went out, they're nice and snug under the tentacles, together

Last edited by twobytwo; 02-12-2017 at 02:15 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #39
twobytwo
Sh!t Disturber

So, I'd been having trouble with my skimmer for a couple weeks...

I would run it at the normal setting thats it had been pulling well at. I would empty the cup, and in the morning, the cup would be overflowing. I'd turn the bubbles down and leave for work. Come home and the bubbles were at the bottom of the neck. A few hours would go by and the level wouldn't change.

Wake up the next morning, and the cup is full and overflowing. Turn it down a little more. A couple hours later I'd return to check on it and the cup would be full. Sometimes the bubbles were overflowing over the top of the neck... but sometimes the bubbles would be at the bottom of the neck, giving no evidence that it would have been full to the top at any point.

This was causing all sorts of problems. My ATO was working extra hard to keep up with the lost water. I also wasn't pulling anything much out of the sump, just a light watery "tea".

I started exploring ideas but was lost. Nothing really had changed in terms of water level in the sump, how my auxiliary pumps were placed/running (e.g. pump for UV), it just didn't make sense. I moved where the ATO dumped into the sump, and other little tweaks. The skimmer was still sitting with a super low level for hours, then I would come back to it and the cup would be full. I was almost done - started shopping around for replacement skimmers. My last hope was to clean out the skimmer - maybe something was stuck inside or cracked.

I pulled the skimmer out and examined the body - in good shape, nothing cracked or broken, hoses/pipes were intact. So I start to disassemble the pump and then I see this:

A broken impeller shaft. I had a moment of panic, then remembered I have spare parts! The pump failed a year ago and I got a replacement from CAD Lights. So I searched and found the spare, which is in the picture. Reassembled everything, and the skimmer is running like a champ again!

Anyway, heres some more pics of whats going on. First, my new fish - thanks to Goobafish!

And, I set up a frag tank. I used sand on the bottom because I might have a cuc for algae, and I might put my walking dendro in it.

Here's a pic of my clownfish hosted by my BTA's

and heres my puffer photobombing while I try to take a photo of my clowns

Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #40
CoralPatron

Feedback Score: (0)
CoralPatron is on a distinguished road

I would help you if I could - amazing project! Congrats!
CoralPatron is offline   Reply With Quote