Skippy/Wendy Filter > Can you explain the size to gallons ratio? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
YMS_1975 is on a distinguished road
Question Skippy/Wendy Filter > Can you explain the size to gallons ratio?

I was running an EHEIM Professional 3 - 1200XL - 2080 canister filter prior to this post, however because it was sitting flush (levelled) with my poly stock tank (on the ground level), I was constantly running into problems with the water flow. That's when I learned it's intended use was to be under an elevated aquarium/habitat. Lesson learned.

I've been researching this online and I belong to another community (geared towards turtle owners), and the subect of the "Wendy" or "Skippy" filter came up.

I'm sure you fine folks understand the concept of what that is, but if there's anybody out there reading this, who is as ignorant to the matter as I was...it's basically a make-shift filter, run by a pond pump into your own make-shift canister.

Here's where things get kinda confusing for me. My previous filter was rated for up to 320 gallons; at least that's what it said on the box. Despite not being a trusting fella, I decided I'd trust EHEIM on this one. Having said that, the canister itself held 6.6 gallons. The motor/propellor pumped out 450 gph. I never measured this, but I'll trust them on that too.

SO.... knowing what we know about my previous canister filter held 6.6 gallons, pumped out 450 gph, and was rated for up to 320 gallons.....how powerful a pond pump do you think I would need for my skippy/wendy filter?

Keep in mind that this time around, I want three times the filtration than what I had before. So, instead of a canister filter that's rated for 300 gallons (I'm rounding down from 320), I'd like to make a skippy/wendy filter that's rated for up to 900 gallons.

1) Is it the canister size that determines the gallons ratings?
2) Is it the GPH that the pump pushes out/pulls in that determines the gallons ratings?
3) Is it simply a matter of me multiplying the numbers by 3 to get my answer, or is there a more accurate method of doing this???

Sorry for the long post, but this is a bit tricky and my poor turtles have no filtration right now (I've been doing weekly changes in the absence of their filter), so I want to get this right.

Last edited by YMS_1975; 03-01-2013 at 07:13 AM..
YMS_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

Ryan.Wilton is on a distinguished road

So from what my math tells me about the filter. .1 gallons needs 68.2gph, (450/6.6). If the effective rate of 0.1gallon is 68.2gph, then the statement for the filter capacity could be (350/6.6) 48.5gallons per 0.1 gallons of water held in the unit.

Therefore, 6.6gallons=320gallons, so logically 900gallons should = to 18.5625 gallons, or 19 gallons (for the canister)

So, if the statements above are true, then 68.2gph x 18.5625g give us your flow rate that you wish for the pond pump, 1265.9625 or 1266gph. You need a pretty powerful pump in order to do this wish. You'd be basically making a sump filter.

So in closing, you pretty much need a pond pump that flows 1300gph, combined with a minimum 19gallon cylindrical water vessel.

Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
pyrrolin
Devoted Member

pyrrolin is just really nice

capacity for tank size is a combo of media volume and gph.

If its a turtle tank, I assume its more water cleaning than bio load. I would recommend high gph pump and not worry to much about the size, but this depends on the bio load.

I guess basically the media volume is for the bio load and the gph is more for the size of the tank.

Not sure if I actually helped any

about 20 tanks sitting unused in storage due to lack of space

Yes I have MTS
pyrrolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

If turtles, I agree with Pyr. It's more about the water, so changing it often is very useful (believe me I have 3 turtles in a 55gallon... That water stinks weekly if I don't do a 50% w/c at the very least, I usually do 75%)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Wilton View Post
So from what my math tells me about the filter. .1 gallons needs 68.2gph, (450/6.6). If the effective rate of 0.1gallon is 68.2gph, then the statement for the filter capacity could be (350/6.6) 48.5gallons per 0.1 gallons of water held in the unit.

Therefore, 6.6gallons=320gallons, so logically 900gallons should = to 18.5625 gallons, or 19 gallons (for the canister)

So, if the statements above are true, then 68.2gph x 18.5625g give us your flow rate that you wish for the pond pump, 1265.9625 or 1266gph. You need a pretty powerful pump in order to do this wish. You'd be basically making a sump filter.

So in closing, you pretty much need a pond pump that flows 1300gph, combined with a minimum 19gallon cylindrical water vessel.

Hope this helps
Yeah, this is what my math came out to as well
So now, all that's left is getting a good pond pump.

I'm leaning towards Oase. I heard they make a great pump. Any thoughts on Oase?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

For my pond I use a Tetra Pond filter (I think it's tetra brand.) and a laguna powerhead for the internal pond flow. I've always had luck with lagunas, but you will have to find a pump that'll fit your needs. You may want to actually invest in an large capacity one, similar to what people use on their larger reefs. (go to home depot lol)

Oh and just a though for this, why don't you set up the sump instead. If you use say a trash can, sealing it is going to be a huge issue. Especially when you need to open it back up to clean/change the media.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Wilton View Post
For my pond I use a Tetra Pond filter (I think it's tetra brand.) and a laguna powerhead for the internal pond flow. I've always had luck with lagunas, but you will have to find a pump that'll fit your needs. You may want to actually invest in an large capacity one, similar to what people use on their larger reefs. (go to home depot lol)

Oh and just a though for this, why don't you set up the sump instead. If you use say a trash can, sealing it is going to be a huge issue. Especially when you need to open it back up to clean/change the media.
Not sure I understand the need for sealing the lid. The way I see it, I'd have the pond pump in the habitat. The tubing (running from the pond pump) would be connected to PVC piping which runs into said trash can. But that PVC piping doesn't necessarily have to gain access from the top lid. It could be running into the trash can from below the lid.

Opening & closing it (for the sole purpose of media changes), would simply be a matter of using the lid as one normally does (on and off). I'd apply either some sort of a silicone or adhesive (which was outlined in the video I saw on Youtube) to ensure no leaks occur within the access hole (which I'll be creating below the lid) for the PVC piping to get in there, when gaining access to the trash can.

Hope that made sense.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

I suppose, I figured he wanted to make a mock canister. I guess if the PVC was attached through the side, and below the lid line then I guess. I was just thinking if the water was being evacuate through the top, if the edges weren't sealed it had an overflow risk lol
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Default ...

That's true; something I've considered as well but I plan on giving the output a significant diameter output size of 3" or possibly even 4".

So I think I should be ok. *Fingers Crossed*
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Ryan.Wilton
Devoted Member

Hope so for your houses sake lol. Other wise a little DIY, could turn into a lot

Tags
canister , diy , filter , skippy , wendy