LF Stendker/ Piwowarski Discus - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Cichlids Discus, angelfish, oscars, lake, african/american, etc.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Lorano
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
Lorano is on a distinguished road
Post LF Stendker/ Piwowarski Discus and people for group order

Hi everyone. I'm planning to grow out some discus for the next few months and was wondering if anyone had some discus from the two breeders/lines mentioned in the title. Both lines, the Stendker and Piwowarski discus, are German discus lines. Is there anyone in the gta that has these specific discus lines?

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lorano; 10-24-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Lorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road

Piwow were available a few years ago, upper canada discus had some red turk pairs. Not sure who else had some. Only recently have they become available in the states. Piwowarski had shut down for a few years and just started back up in the past year or so.

As for stendkers Google discus paradise in Quebec for a list, they ship throughout canada. I know one person that dealt with then and they were happy

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Lorano
Devoted Member

Yes, discusparadise does have Stendkers but the only problem with them is that they charge $120 for shipping unless you buy 2 full boxes plus they are a bit overpriced. DiscusHans in the U.S in comparison is cheaper but will only ship to the border. Will have to choose one or the other when the time comes but for now price distance are an issue.

As far as Piwowarskis there doesnt seem to be anyone in Canada that imports them. To buy them as an individual costs about 440 Euros for the first box for freight if they are ordered directly from Germany. Plus he seems to be out of stock of all his discus in smaller sizes. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road

Too bad no one else speaks up or is around. There for sure should still be some red turquoise piwows some where around here. I'm not sure if upper canada discus still sells. His name was bob garside (I think) in barrie. I know for sure he sold a few breeding pairs to people in toronto

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
saltyfish

Feedback Score: (11)
saltyfish is on a distinguished road

Maybe if there was enough interest there could be a group buy to save on shipping costs

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
saltyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
vincel892
Devoted Member

vincel892 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyfish View Post
Maybe if there was enough interest there could be a group buy to save on shipping costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorano View Post
Yes, discusparadise does have Stendkers but the only problem with them is that they charge $120 for shipping unless you buy 2 full boxes plus they are a bit overpriced. DiscusHans in the U.S in comparison is cheaper but will only ship to the border. Will have to choose one or the other when the time comes but for now price distance are an issue.

As far as Piwowarskis there doesnt seem to be anyone in Canada that imports them. To buy them as an individual costs about 440 Euros for the first box for freight if they are ordered directly from Germany. Plus he seems to be out of stock of all his discus in smaller sizes. Any ideas?
I also spoke to discusparadise with regards to shipping to Toronto. I am interested in purchasing some of their f1 altum angelfish. I'm pretty sure mix/matching is fine. If there is enough interest, we may be able to fill two boxes.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
saltyfish

saltyfish is on a distinguished road

Even if you only get 4 or 5 people getting 2 or 3 fish/person dividing the shipping would only be an extra $50 each.

saltyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Lorano
Devoted Member

Decided on going with Discus Hans in the US for some Stendker discus. He can ship the fish to a FedEx location near the Niagara Falls border. Anyone interested in a group order so that the cost of shipping can be split? Also anyone willing to share a ride for pick up?

For those that don't know Hans is the largest Stendker discus importer and seller in North America and has been said to have some of the highest quality discus that can be found either in the US or Canada. Furthermore, Stendkers are supposedly bred to survive in tap water and are therefore hardier than most Asian discus that you can find in fish stores.

UPDATE: Hans (the seller of these fish in the US) has given a maximum rate of $80 US for shipping any number of boxes to the nearest border FedEx Shipping Center (unless there aren't enough people to fill even $80 worth of boxes in which case it will be lower). This cost will be split among all participants in the group order. Considering the cost of these fish,if even 4 people split the order, that's only $20 US or approximately $25 CAD (at today's exchange rate) per person which is a huge cost reduction when compared to shipping costs for individual purchases.

Comment or PM for more info, or visit Stendker Group Buy thread in Group Buy category in the marketplace for more info.

Last edited by Lorano; 10-26-2017 at 01:32 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
Altumnut
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Altumnut is just really nice

I'll get back to you shorty. I may be interested.

...Ralph
Altumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #10
Lorano
Devoted Member

Look forward to hearing from you... anyone else interested?