on deaf ears.... - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GTA AQUARIA > Site Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Site Feedback Comments, Questions or Concerns related to GTA Aquaria? Heck, even leave suggestions on how we can improve.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #21
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

It's great to see you are still around, Ciddian!
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #22
Abner
I drink my fishwater!!

Abner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciddian View Post
Awee tom... I know its been a change hasn't it. I think tom is just missing a bit of that nostalgia from when the forum was first created. He's been around for a long while and a bunch of you have for sure! I remember migrating over to this forum when an old hangout forum kinda fell apart one day.

That was before I had kids... oy... Wow!

We can always make this place tight knit again if you want too. I do miss forums and felt kinda out of the loop when I started my family.... So I totally do get it. I am the biggest FB user too but forums for me are still pretty cool.

The admin I think can start smoothing out the forum approval system and stuff like that. I don't even think the users have to post in that first sandbox type forum before being allowed into the rest of the place.

We used to have meet and greets, I remember having like four gta members come hang out in my basement because we got rained out. My first meet and greet was with Wtac, me and my husband at the three monkeys. lol

Now I feel like the newbie, so many new faces! I should really get meeting and greeting again for sure.

It'll be okay tom. <3
Would be great to do a meet and greet fish store crawl. Even better if all the experienced reefers just came to my place and rearranged all my equipement for free. I have drinks and snack!!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #23
Jeepcarpenter

Feedback Score: (10)
Jeepcarpenter is on a distinguished road

Abner: I think we all want that.

I'd be up for a meet and greet within certain area's, unfortunately that new GTA aquarium club is a bit further than I can usually make it to. As for the fish store crawl, I doubt I could manage that considering the distance between many of them, would have to set aside a day to remain in TO all day which doesn't happen much. I would be up for having everyone out at my shop in Markham for coffee or BBQ but it's awfully dusty being a carpenter and as well would have to look into insurance's take on the matter as I am 'not supposed to' have anyone but clients and employee's after hours, but can look into if there's interest; and well, i haven't got anything aquarium related at all in the shop due to aforementioned dust.. so we could just sit around workbenches or all huddle in the office at the TV and water cooler, with a good ole fashioned Canadian Winter BBQ and talk aqua.

I'd love to have an event at my home in the Kawartha's for everyone, but that's a bit of a trek for GTA'ers; I will wind up offering anyways once the greenhouse and ponds are back up. Anyone else have any suggestions? What can we do besides word-of-mouth and social media to advertise? What new threads would be of great interest to see?
What do you know now in the hobby that may not have been addressed to you in your beginnings? Have any crazy things you'd like to try? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeepcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #24
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default meet up

hey there sounds like minds are working here , glad to see that many of you are thinking one of the things u guys can do is a general meet up at a local bar or rest , pool hall small simple .. everyone takes care of there own bill ..
the hardest part is trying to get everyone to agree on where what and when . sometimes u just have to pick a date and let everyone interested work around it . may also have to have a few meets going for the east enders and west enders , traveling could be a issue for some
keep the brainstorming going guys and gals

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #25
Abner
I drink my fishwater!!

Abner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
hey there sounds like minds are working here , glad to see that many of you are thinking one of the things u guys can do is a general meet up at a local bar or rest , pool hall small simple .. everyone takes care of there own bill ..
the hardest part is trying to get everyone to agree on where what and when . sometimes u just have to pick a date and let everyone interested work around it . may also have to have a few meets going for the east enders and west enders , traveling could be a issue for some
keep the brainstorming going guys and gals
Pool is something i enjoy so i would always be up for that. I dont know how it is for everyone else but anywhere less than an hour from Toronto is not far for me. So im down for LFS crawl in the east or the west. Im already that weird guy that randomly sparks conversation with you at the fish store. I just want to learn and make sure i do the best i can with my reef tank.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
VS_Admin
Administrator

Feedback Score: (2)
VS_Admin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciddian View Post
Awee tom... I know its been a change hasn't it. I think tom is just missing a bit of that nostalgia from when the forum was first created. He's been around for a long while and a bunch of you have for sure! I remember migrating over to this forum when an old hangout forum kinda fell apart one day.

That was before I had kids... oy... Wow!

We can always make this place tight knit again if you want too. I do miss forums and felt kinda out of the loop when I started my family.... So I totally do get it. I am the biggest FB user too but forums for me are still pretty cool.

The admin I think can start smoothing out the forum approval system and stuff like that. I don't even think the users have to post in that first sandbox type forum before being allowed into the rest of the place.

We used to have meet and greets, I remember having like four gta members come hang out in my basement because we got rained out. My first meet and greet was with Wtac, me and my husband at the three monkeys. lol

Now I feel like the newbie, so many new faces! I should really get meeting and greeting again for sure.

It'll be okay tom. <3
Would a Meet and Greet specific section help out in this where members can post events? Is that something you'd be looking for?

_ jb
VS_Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default meet and greet

I don't think it would hurt ..

nice to see whos avail if anyone is interested in meeting winters coming so always nice to be able to meet for a coffee or what not .

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
characinfan
Eats plants too

characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

Coffee would be great. It would have to be close to a subway stop. I was even hoping to go to the Aquarium Club meetup tonight but got off work too late to get there.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #29
Jeepcarpenter

Feedback Score: (10)
Jeepcarpenter is on a distinguished road

Agreed on the pool, coffee and such. Start an east end aquarium group maybe?
The event thread might be a good idea, simple way to put it out there of a few ppl getting together, but dependent of availability; could easily turn into a large gathering, or just those original few people. I know my way around the GTA but don't know good meet locations aside from local Timmies or LFS of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeepcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
VS_Admin
Administrator

Feedback Score: (2)
VS_Admin is on a distinguished road

So, since others suggested it, how about a Groups and Greets section?

One part for all the meetups, or big events, and the others broken into sections. GTA East, West, Ect, where people can be more local about their scheduling/discussion of places to see/meet at?

- JB
VS_Admin is offline   Reply With Quote