Rescuing a discus - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
RevoBuda

Feedback Score: (24)
RevoBuda is a jewel in the rough
Default Rescuing a discus

I was given a pigeon blood that has an air bubble far down its side, about 3/4 the way down. I know it's an air bubble because I have attempted to treat by extracting whatever may have been in there, there was only air in there. After doing so the bubble flattens but then it fills back up.

He's doing fine... He apparently has been like this for a year. I just want to help get him to swim properly again, he's been face down for a long while apparently.

If anyone has had any similar experiences please help me. If not, does anyone know a marine biologist I can contact to assist me in my attempt to save this guy??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
RevoBuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
loonie
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (28)
loonie is on a distinguished road

Try using indian almond leaves, this might help. I have use it for discus that are getting thin and they recovered. Alot of betta breeders use them.

Last edited by loonie; 12-16-2012 at 02:00 PM..
loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Altumnut
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Altumnut is just really nice

If what this fish has is a swim bladder or Head Standing disease...there is no known cure. Try to contain it in a smaller tank say 10g or 20g. You can assist it by lowering the water level which helps its buoyancy. You can try adding salt 1-2 TSP per 10g and crank up the air.
Could be an internal bacterial issue. Kanamcyin treatment may help but not cheap $$$ Very clean water is a must.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...standing.shtml
You may consider putting it under if meds prices or space is a factor.
Best of luck,
...Ralph
Altumnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
RevoBuda

Feedback Score: (24)
RevoBuda is a jewel in the rough

It is definitely not swim bladder or head standing disease... It it literally a air bubble under its skin. I will keep you guys up to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
RevoBuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
baozi2089
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
baozi2089 is on a distinguished road

Ok here goes nothing.

How's the fish poop? Is the fish having diarrhea?
I think initially the fish probably got some internal parasite either worms or amebae. With inflammation and infection, the gut wall got broken down and gut flora/bacteria starts to infect the fish.

Based on what I learnt in school, C dif can colonize humane gut at least and sometimes after the gut is destroyed people get infection that produces gas. So the gas underneath the skin might be from a C diff infection.

So you seem to have a few things going on here. Worms, amebae, and C diff.

Luckily, both Amebae and C diff are sensitive to metronidazole/flagyl. You need to prepare a food mix with metronidazole and feed it to the fish and also dose the tank with metronidazole.

For the worm, if it's tape worm you can cover it with prazipro. If it is round worm, you can kill that with some panacur, it's usually for dogs. I got it online for a couple dollars.

I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best for the poor fish!

Cheers
baozi2089 is offline   Reply With Quote