Bob Garside - Breeding Wild Caught Alenquer Cuipeua (Pic Heavy) - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
UsAndThem
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
UsAndThem is on a distinguished road

Good Post ! , I'm single and have no kids I have all the time in the world to take care of my Discus
UsAndThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #22
Pruss

Feedback Score: (6)
Pruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
With discus do not ignore the experience that others have had. Sure try sand bottom and getting decent growth, it's very difficult. I did the same you did when I got my first discus, didn't work out great and I changed alot of water. Goodluck with whatever you choose
I've been schooled on discus today by Vern Archer. I've seen the light on bare bottom tanks. I'm pulling the sand from my build. This old dog only needs to hear the same command so many times before he learns the trick.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Dis.

-- Pat
Pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #23
UsAndThem
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruss View Post
I've been schooled on discus today by Vern Archer. I've seen the light on bare bottom tanks. I'm pulling the sand from my build. This old dog only needs to hear the same command so many times before he learns the trick.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Dis.

-- Pat
Feces still build up at the bottom of bare bottomed aquariums. with little to no current in a discus setup you will notice that. Gravel has a lot of area for debris to collect below the surface which can go undetected for quite some time if you do not spend a lot of time doing aquarium maintenance in a week.

Sand on the other hand does not leave room for debris to disappear but rather to collect on top. this can be offset by vacuuming it up. Nitrates can be kept in check with large water changes or by using products such as Chemi pure elite.

I absolutely hate the look of a bare bottomed aquarium. I Keep up on my cleanliness of my aquarium and my water levels are pristine. I am running overkill filtration.

This is why I have chosen to go with Stendker, they are known as the Goldfish of this discus world. this means they are very hardy and can withstand a lot of abuse.

Line bred fish have the clear advantage as only the strongest most suitable candidates were chosen to extend the blood line. Stendker has been breeding discus for I believe over 50 years now and not one mention of a bare bottom aquarium with these fish.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #24
UsAndThem
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
With discus do not ignore the experience that others have had. Sure try sand bottom and getting decent growth, it's very difficult. I did the same you did when I got my first discus, didn't work out great and I changed alot of water. Goodluck with whatever you choose
Hey Dis , why is it that you experienced more growth with a bare bottomed aquarium as opposed to one with sand ?

Just out of curiosity, I want to know as my belief is that clean water, proper nutrition and larger aquariums would give any fish a decent shot at growing.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #25
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road

It was harder to remove all the detritus. I went with bare bottom to make sure that I was removing everything as well as making it easier for discus to find the food.
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #26
Pruss

Feedback Score: (6)
Pruss is on a distinguished road

So I started my journal/build-thread here: https://gtaaquaria.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I'm going to go bare-bottom to start, and then probably will go with TBemba's suggestion and plant in pots or low planting trays once the discus have grown out to more than 4". Given the temps I'm going to be running until they're young adults I think planting might be a mistake.

-- Pat
Pruss is offline   Reply With Quote