Clearing up Discus Myths (Need Help!) - Page 6 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #51
lybrian1
University Student

Feedback Score: (19)
lybrian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

now i wouldnt pay $30 at aquapets when i know i could have gotten it for $21 lol
lybrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #52
Holidays
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (9)
Holidays is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lybrian1 View Post
now i wouldnt pay $30 at aquapets when i know i could have gotten it for $21 lol
not the end of the world eh?
Holidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #53
lybrian1
University Student

Feedback Score: (19)
lybrian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but im in no rush, mind aswell wait until the next sale
lybrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #54
Roberacer1

Feedback Score: (0)
Roberacer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Discus Myths

I noticed a post earlier in regard to a few Seachem products. "Discus Buffer" definitely brought the PH down and softened the water in my tank. I have now this issue that my tank likes to grow red algae. This is really bad for plants not to mention that in any real amount "Red" (AKA Black Beard or hair) algae emits significant toxins into the water. Discus Buffer is a phosphate based product. My phosphate levels were off the scale. Which encourages algae growth. red was growing at least on par if not better than the green (good) algae. Phosguard city to say the least. I always used peat but switched Discus Buffer for Acid Buffer (non phosphate). The red is starting to go away and green (algae and plants) is slowly taking it's place. Ph is down and water is starting to soften again. I let it get hard when I stopped using Discus Buffer a few months back before I went Acid Buffer. Was hoping the Peat would be enough by itself. It isn't. The plants didn't like the hard water and I don't think the fish did either.

"Prime" and "Safe" were also mentioned. They are almost the same product. One is granular instead of liquid and much more concentrated. In a basic sense these are to remove the chems (primarily chloramine and/or floramine) that the city adds to the water to make it safe for us to drink as well as try to kill anything living in it (our fish). If you are using one of these products in tap water why are you letting it stand for days? Temperature...OK but PH and hardness (the main differences between our water and "Blackwater") aren't being effected one bit by that alone. I am not sure if you can overdose with that stuff but I am Leary of that. When in doubt follow the directions on the label I always say.

RO you do know that if you only use RO water in your tank unless you replenish the trace elements your fish will eventually all die... right? (Check out Osmotic shock) Like us they need vitamins and minerals too. We get them mostly from our food but they get them mostly from their water. If you like Seachem they make a product called Discus Trace for that very purpose. Incidentally, Seachem states on their web site that Salt is not usable for Discus as they are not very tolerant of it. In truth their waters are about the least brackish on the plant. That makes sense. Does anyone know what one should use to replenish minerals in a planted Discus tank. Discus Trace says that it only adds what the fish need. RO or in my case chemical dissipation depletes the water of these very necessary elements so we need to add them back. With what? I've been using Equalibrium only because I don't know of anything else but I have to keep dissipating that in order to keep the hardness down.
Roberacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #55
Arkerone
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (4)
Arkerone is on a distinguished road

I've been using Seachem "Replenish" to reconstitute my RO water, it has a dosing rate on the label for discus.
Arkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #56
Roberacer1

Feedback Score: (0)
Roberacer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Discus Myths

Awesome. Replenish it is.
Roberacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote