Angels and Discus-A good fit? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
george
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
george will become famous soon enough
Default Angels and Discus-A good fit?

Hi guys,

I have a75 g tank that I want to set up in the near future. The problem I have is that I can not decide if I should get angels or discus.

Would I be able to keep both in the same tank? If so, what do I need to pay attention for? Are there any cons regarding keeping discus with angels together?
Also, I am planning on getting an Eheim 2215 and a power filter AC70 for the tank. Do you think that will be enough?

My ph is around 7.8 therefore I'll get some Netlea to lower it.

Appreciate all advice to start my tank.
Thanks!
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
BillD
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
BillD is a splendid one to behold BillD is a splendid one to behold

The main concern is the size of the tank. Normally one would keep discus in a group of around 6 which doesn't leave enough room for a group of angels (the discus will outgrow the tank alone). The other concern is that discus are generally kept in the mid 80s and angels around 80. Playing with the pH is a bad idea, especially if you are relying on substrate to lower it. Every time you do a water change (and generally with discus you do many), you will have fluctuations in pH, which shouldn't be a real concern if the TDS of the water stays the same, but is still something to consider. Most serious discus keepers don't use any substrate, as it makes it harder to maintain pristine water conditions.
So, while it can be done ( more than a few have done it successfully) I wouldn't. The angels would be an easier fish to keep and do fine at the higher pH.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Will
PEARLING

Feedback Score: (18)
Will has much to be proud of Will has much to be proud of

Master both species independently, before trying to mix them, imo.

Bill made many important points. The small tank size is a big obstacle.

On top of that, Angels tend to be aggressive feeders, and while discus are gluttonous feeders, they would likely shy away during feeding, missing out on a majority of the food. Another complication a big tank would help resolve.

Live Plants for sale in Burlington! PM me.
How's my posting? Click the on left to let me know...
Will is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
george
Devoted Member

All right, so you convinced me... I will start with about 6 angels in the 75g tank and afterwards add some cardinal tetras, about 5 cory and one german blue ram pair. I'll keep you posted how it goes. For now I am still waiting for the lights and need to get the filter...etc.
Thanks for the advice !
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Roberacer1

Feedback Score: (0)
Roberacer1 is on a distinguished road

If you are buying the filter new why don't you just go up to a 2217. The 2215 would be pretty minimal for that tank. Forget the Aqua Clear all together. It isn't really going to do much anyways. It won't do what the Eheim will that is for certain. Once established the Eheim will be all you'll need. I have an AC150 on my 30 gal with my Eheim but I'm running Phosguard bags in it. It is just so I don't have to open the main filter all of the time. Phosguard doesn't last too long. A Phosban reactor in line of the main filter would work a ton better and that is in the plans for the future. I've diverted my funds to my 75 for now. I'll get rid of the HOB filter all together then. I also have a 35 with a 2215 on it and that is all that is on it. Never an issue...ever.
Roberacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
george
Devoted Member

Can I use for example the AC70 with a sponge filter? That way i keep the filtration and do not introduce as much water movement.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Roberacer1

Feedback Score: (0)
Roberacer1 is on a distinguished road

If anything added drive units are going to create more current. I actually run my 2217 flow constricted. It's surface area that does the filtering and there is no way the Hagen sponge houses anywhere close to the bacteria that the guts of an Eheim does. Oh, while I am on it. A mod I did. I have a surface skimmer on the input side of the 2217 so it is actually being fed with surface water (well airated, more bacteria). It works awesome. So much so that I did the same mod to the 75 gallon right away.
Roberacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote