Urgent help - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
riguitin

Feedback Score: (0)
riguitin is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent help

Yesterday night before bed time my discus were fine this morning i woke up to see one of them in the bottom of the tank he is almost black with some white near the head the spots are to injuries but look like there is no color i have no idea whats wrong
all parameters are good
the fish was fine last night eating well
please help
riguitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
SandeepD

SandeepD is on a distinguished road

A pic of the fish might be better so that the members can provide you a proper solution

I currently have a similar situation with a pair I have, treating them for the last 4 days, things have improved. The symptoms were
- Both fish went very dark
- both had a huge slime coat on them
- one has a big white patch on the body
- activity was minimum, fins were down, very lethargic..they were eating

Some of the basic actions (I did) you can do:
- move the fish (assuming that other Discus in the tanks are doing well, I had mine alone in a 29g) to a QT. That will take care of the water change. Might be better to do a water change for the main tank.

Temp of 84 deg.C with heavy aeration

I cut down their diet, actually didn't feed for 2 days..don't know if this helps. they were not eating a full cube

I used 2 TBSP of Epsom Salts for a 29 gallon tank with 2 caps of Methylene Blue for the last 4 days.

White patches have reduced, much more activity, still dark,

I tried searching the net, but no conclusive information. posting a pic and getting one of the members advice will be better.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...l/fungus.shtml

One thing to remember that MB is a bacterial medicine...

Last edited by SandeepD; 02-18-2012 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added link
SandeepD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Sunny
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (2)
Sunny is on a distinguished road

I think there is some sort of "Discus Plague" going around. I just lost 8 "Red Covers" to the same thing.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
SandeepD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I think there is some sort of "Discus Plague" going around. I just lost 8 "Red Covers" to the same thing.
That's sad to hear...any particular change in the routine ?

For me, I thought it was the live blood worms that I fed the leopards, the quality of the bws was horrible from BA, so never gave them to the reds. The reds and the fry are doing well on frozen bw's, the leopards are struggling with the fungus.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Sunny
Devoted Member

Sunny is on a distinguished road

No I'm still scratching my head over it. They were in the tank beside the Checkerboards but the checkerboards are fine, only have two red covers left out of ten
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
riguitin

riguitin is on a distinguished road
Default Thats shcks

Ok i will try to post a pic tom but he does not have any exess slime the only way i can discribe it is as if someone erased his color verry sad all this happend in a few hrs and there is no change
riguitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
loonie
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (28)
loonie is on a distinguished road

My opinion, I feel this has something to do with the chemistry of the water.
Each city the chemistry is different, like mississauga water has higher PH.
Our discus comes from asia where the water is soft and they do not add all the chemicals that is added to our water here due to weather etc.

Two weeks ago two of my discus died after a water change, why I can never tell. Some two years ago I lost 200angels, my own breed after a water change. No medication could help, so what they are adding to our water on some days, we do not know. If we only know which day, they add what chemical to the water, then we can avoid changing water on that day but this is something we will never know unless we have inside contact.

I was breeding discus in the far east for many years, had very little problem compared to here in Canada. Just my two cents experience.....
loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
SandeepD

wow..its scary that you may be right...man, do so many water changes every day, its a bit crazy to test every single day but I see the importance since it could wipe out the whole stock.

Don't think that was the case with me as I do water changes for all the tanks at the same time and only the 1 tank was affected. Still I'm going to stop making 80% wc with tap water after this discussion.

Never tested my water before but I need I will get a test kit tomorrow or on Tuesday.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Ralfie Boy
Up-and-comer

Ralfie Boy is on a distinguished road

Could be that you added too much chlorine remover. When my bottle was empty a while ago I added water to the bottle and poored it into the bucket. My cichlids did not like that and I got a white film all over my heater, ornaments, and aquarium glass. It killed all the good bacteria in my opinion. 80% water change is a lot all at one time as well.

Good luck, I hope the fish recover.
Ralfie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
SandeepD

Ralfie, that has to be the answer for me....exactly what had happened with the leopards (few last drops, so dipped the bottle into the tub).
For the leopards I did the big changes as the water was after an unsuccessful spawn.

For the melons, most of the time I've used RO as they were breeding like clockwork, so never added any chlorine remover.

For the fry, I do use fresh water but generally different batch, so possibly put in less chlorine remover and am doing 10 - 15% wc change.

Peter, any possibilities ?