Discus Club - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
Ciddian

Feedback Score: (33)
Ciddian has a brilliant future Ciddian has a brilliant future Ciddian has a brilliant future

I always have issues making it to meetings but I would be in!

Where is your calimari? ~_^

Ciddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
hironobu

Feedback Score: (7)
hironobu is on a distinguished road

Meetings can rotate between East/West/North/Central to encourage participation and attendance. I'm located in Markham and already knows several amateur breeders in North York, Markham, and New Market. I have no problem being involved in the logistics and organization of the club.

Personally I've had confirmed pairs of PB and MR, turqs, LSS. I know people with RC, Albinos, Leopards, and BD pairs. With the amount of discus sold in the GTA I've always wondered where are all the enthusiasts. I'm really looking forward to getting to know more fellow discus lovers. Also it is proven that locally bred discus are MUCH better than ones sold in LFS.

Joshua
hironobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Poco

Feedback Score: (0)
Poco is on a distinguished road

Sounds good Joshua. I am flexible on the location. We just need to get this rolling. Would love to meet all the discus crackheads

Come on people let's do it!
Poco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
hironobu

Being in a group will help with group buy as well from US and other reputable sellers. The quality and selection in Toronto is just SOOO horrible. Many owners at LFS will admit its just not worth the cost to import good fish; and you can't blame them because they're running a business after all. I always drool over the selection they have in the US just browsing through SimplyDiscus.com.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Poco

Poco is on a distinguished road

Agree with you regarding the LFS. There are few Canadians who are importing/breeding quality fish. We can discuss all this and more at our meeting
Poco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #26
fbi

fbi is on a distinguished road

Here's my wife and my tank. Recently added 4 bush nose L183 ( I think 183, spotted with white dots and striped white tail fin)

We're 4 hours from you guys, though. May I suggest asking an admin here to give you your own section on the forum?
-B

EDIT: that's a really old picture haha. I'll update that later.

Sent from my Xperia X10 using Tapatalk 2
fbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
cichlidsam
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (9)
cichlidsam is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested as well. I used to breed discus and would love to get back into things...or at least see what others are doing!
cichlidsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
ezdone
It's all about the hobby!

Feedback Score: (26)
ezdone is on a distinguished road
Cool Discus

I would love too join a Discus club if there was one in the G.T.A........I would like too share some shoots of my 8 foot 240 gallon Discus and rare pleco setup!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121216_212308.jpg (128.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091130.jpg (188.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091135.jpg (157.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091141.jpg (105.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091146.jpg (176.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091153.jpg (119.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091200.jpg (159.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20121229_091212.jpg (134.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20121126_223617.jpg (101.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20121126_223536.jpg (122.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by ezdone; 12-31-2012 at 05:42 PM..
ezdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
Bigbutt
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (2)
Bigbutt is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in joining a discus group.
Bigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
hironobu

Just to get the ball rolling... We obviously need an (or several local) informal meeting(s) first to gather some interests and momentum. Later we will need a formal meeting for members only to sort of the logistics, elect officials, and determine the purpose and function of the club. This is the GTA, we definitely have enough people to keep this club together. I'm sure there are tons of closet discus experts here that have awesome fish and knowledge about the fish. It'll be a shame to see their talents hidden from the world. Heck there are competitions every year all over the world and discusmania is definitely alive and well.

Here are some proposals for member sign up and what we can do as a club. Again these are tentative proposals only and are open to change.

Member sign up (First name, Last name) (Can initial last name for privacy reasons)
Contact info (either email or phone #)
Years of experience with discus
Have you bred or current possess "confirmed" breeding pairs (if yes which strains)
Do you wish your information be made available to other club members
Your availability to meet up
[any other suggestions?]

Now the basic club functions is to promote and spread this wonderful fish we all love. My personal goal is to connect the enthusiasts together so we can all enjoy high quality discus fish. Unfortunately the quality of discus has deteriorate at the LFS in recent years and prices have definitely gone up. With limited selection it feels most people have to settle for 2nd rate quality fish at premium cost and that is unnecessary. I also know there are some local breeders that produce quality fish. There are several awesome suppliers like Bob in Barrie (http://www.uppercanadadiscus.com/index.html) and Vern in Whitby (http://archersdiscus.com/index.htm) that offer world class discus. There are also suppliers from Ottawa and Vancouver (April @ http://www.aprilsaquarium.com/ and Rick @ www.canadianaquafarm.com/) that have awesome varieties.

So through this club we can do group buys. We can offer assistance and recommendations of pairing and genetics to help breeders or aspiring breeders to further quality of their stock. For those that are willing we can even arrange "marriage" to induce confirmed pair (your female high body LSS with my male spotted eruption for examples). The owners then can pick the best fry and continue their bloodlines for future generations. Of course there are a lot more we can do... this is only the tip of the iceberg. We all want to join the club for different reasons. So time to start meeting and talking!

Joshua