Discus and RCS in a Planted Tank - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
hendy8888

Feedback Score: (3)
hendy8888 is on a distinguished road

I have had Discus in my planted tank for a while and don't recommend growing them out in one. I grew mine out a little in a bare bottom and power fed them, I moved them to my planted tank early but didn't have a larger grow out tank.

I was OK not getting super large fish and had low quality Discus to begin with. The lowest quality fish were stunted and always struggled with disease . They were nice fish to learn with but died one by one on the pecking order. I had 3 other Discus from a better source, one ended up being a runt and took the same fate as the others. The other 2 grew to about 5" which were fine with me, look very nice. Of course one ran into the glass wall and died... Now I only have 1 and it's looking like it's got an internal parasite.

84 degrees is not ideal for a planted tank, doable since mine is around that now but plants take a while to adjust. Plants bring parasites and low quality Discus are not immune.

Last edited by hendy8888; 03-21-2014 at 04:06 PM..
hendy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
george
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
george will become famous soon enough

As far as the general rule is that you feed the juvies several times a day with high protein food ( in general beefheart). In order to maintain the water quality in acceptable conditions (nitrate <10-15 ppm), the number of water changes is being increased. In order for that process to be as quick and simple as possible, they use bare bottom tanks. Once the discus does not require that much food to grow, you can switch them to a planted tank. Keep in mind that as cichlids, they will produce a lot of waste.

In the end, it is up to you whether you can provide them clean water based on your conditions.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
hendy8888

Feedback Score: (3)
hendy8888 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to add, I moved and broke a tank so I put about 100 RCS in with the Discus. Fairly well planted.. The Discus hunted them down and ate every one of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
cinsal09

Feedback Score: (1)
cinsal09 is on a distinguished road

I'm new to both Discus and planted tanks...but I've got juvies in a planted 120 right now. Using RO water and I change it out three times a week 30% each time....all levels are proper and both the discus and plants are growing.

Its definitely a little hard to vacuum around the plants but I got a nice slim tube for my siphon and its been helping. I also keep a few apple snails in the tank and they seem to help with cleaning up leftover food as well.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cinsal69

Instagram: @cindyscichlids
cinsal09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

I've been thinking about this idea again. In the wild, discus eat small crustaceans. Cherry shrimps seems like the ideal food for young discus. I'm thinking of two tanks: one planted discus tank, and one dedicated cherry shrimp tank.

The discus tank would have a sand substrate, and be planted with fast-growing plants, but leaving a lot of open areas for the discus to graze.

The shrimp tank would be dedicated to breeding, and excess shrimps would be fed to the juvenile discus.

The shrimps can act as a source of food all day long, which means I wouldn't need to feed several times a day. Furthermore, the shrimps are living creatures and will not affect water quality.

The only problem with this setup that I can see is one of scale. Assuming one feeding of normal discus food per day, how many shrimps would I need to provide to the discus? How big a colony would I need for this to be self-sustaining? Relatedly, how many discus could this practically sustain?

Any thoughts?
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
Tropicana
The GBR Guy

Feedback Score: (11)
Tropicana has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Tropicana

I like the Idea, but I dont know if its viable. My brother had two discus and hundreds of cherry shrimp in a 75g. I am uncertain if they ate any, and if so it didnt sustain them at all. he had to feed his discus often like usual. I think discus eat more bugs and other types of small crustaceans then they do actual shrimp.

My Collection.

180 Gal

20 Gal Mikrogeophagus ramirezi tank.

20 Gal Nano reef.

5 Gal Brine shrimp grow out.

My Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/Canadian...?feature=guide

- Kelly
Tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Mykuhl
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (29)
Mykuhl has a spectacular aura about

You would be much better off breeding Daphnia and usng that as their source of food. RCR reproduce way too slow to feed a number of discus daily. That is unless you have a huge population or only want the shrimp to constitute a very small amount of their food volume.

Growing fish eat a lot of food, you will need something th at reproduces quickly if you want it to be sustainable.

Daphnia reproduce approximately every 3 days and it just another few days for them to become adults. With that being said you will still need quite a big population of Daphnia if you want them to consist of a good portion of their food, and not just a supplement. If you are not looking to just supplment and want to feed more then just a few fish, then I would set up at least a 20 gallon long just for the daphnia.

To give you an idea to how much they need to eat: I had a 5.5 gallon set up to feed my Apistogramma fry(about 70) and the number of daphnia could not keep up to keep my fry properly fed(it was their only food source). So, if this was not enough to feed my Apistogramma fry(being much smaller than discus) then you will need a heck of a lot more to keep the discus constantly eating.

Last edited by Mykuhl; 08-06-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Mykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
darkangel66n
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (21)
darkangel66n is a jewel in the rough

Not a discus person but I would like to comment on the shrimp. RCS and cherry shrimp are two different types of shrimp. While cherries can adjust to the high temps of a discus tank red crystal shrimp would in all probability die. Both shrimp start to have trouble over 80* though I do know someone who keeps them with zebra plecos at just over that mark.
darkangel66n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #19
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykuhl View Post
You would be much better off breeding Daphnia and usng that as their source of food. RCR reproduce way too slow to feed a number of discus daily. That is unless you have a huge population or only want the shrimp to constitute a very small amount of their food volume.

Growing fish eat a lot of food, you will need something th at reproduces quickly if you want it to be sustainable.

Daphnia reproduce approximately every 3 days and it just another few days for them to become adults. With that being said you will still need quite a big population of Daphnia if you want them to consist of a good portion of their food, and not just a supplement. If you are not looking to just supplment and want to feed more then just a few fish, then I would set up at least a 20 gallon long just for the daphnia.

To give you an idea to how much they need to eat: I had a 5.5 gallon set up to feed my Apistogramma fry(about 70) and the number of daphnia could not keep up to keep my fry properly fed(it was their only food source). So, if this was not enough to feed my Apistogramma fry(being much smaller than discus) then you will need a heck of a lot more to keep the discus constantly eating.
Thanks for the information! It is definitely helpful to get a better sense of the scale involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel66n View Post
Not a discus person but I would like to comment on the shrimp. RCS and cherry shrimp are two different types of shrimp. While cherries can adjust to the high temps of a discus tank red crystal shrimp would in all probability die. Both shrimp start to have trouble over 80* though I do know someone who keeps them with zebra plecos at just over that mark.
RCS is Red Cherry Shrimp. Crystal red shrimps are CRS.

Definitely not CRS, lol!
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
darkangel66n
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (21)
darkangel66n is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
Thanks for the information! It is definitely helpful to get a better sense of the scale involved.

RCS is Red Cherry Shrimp. Crystal red shrimps are CRS.

Definitely not CRS, lol!
Boy did I ever blow that one.
darkangel66n is offline   Reply With Quote