Big News! - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GTA AQUARIA > GTAA Info & Announcments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

GTAA Info & Announcments If there is big news then you'll hear about it here first!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
holocron

Feedback Score: (6)
holocron will become famous soon enough
Default Big News!

Hello everyone,

Today marks a great day for GTAAquaria. Over the past 7 years this forum has come from a small humble beginning to one of the best places to communicate with fellow aquarium enthusiasts in the GTA. Along with that it has become a fantastic market place for buying and selling products related to the hobby. The site is visited by over 1000 people per day! As GTAA grew and grew, my ability to grow the site was limited due to other demands in my life. I've always wanted to see this forum thrive further. Therefore, I have decided to pass the torch of the operations of this site over to a new group of people who have immense expertise in managing and growing forums like these. I think it's a great step forward for the forum and there are only great things to come.

As for what will change, very little. The new owners will act as administrative and technical support to the mods here much like I have done in the past. Over time as the site continues to grow your trusted input will help the site get better and better. The new owners are happy to listen and provide the community with what they need to thrive.

I'll continue to be a member of the community here, but as a fan and hobbyist.

Thanks so much!

Matt
holocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
VS_Admin
Administrator

Feedback Score: (2)
VS_Admin is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce my self to you all. My name is Philip and I am a community manager for Verticalscope.com and will be taking over the WebMaster duties for Matt here on GTAaquaria.com. I am here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current staff easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please post them.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. Itís our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, You as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while staff keep the walls and the roof up in this place; We are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You guys have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this and itís paramount that we maintain this level of integrity.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. I will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.
VS_Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
altcharacter
Not a mod!

Feedback Score: (80)
altcharacter has much to be proud of altcharacter has much to be proud of

I have been a member here for quite a few years and have been very proud of the things we have accomplished with this little forum. This has always been a free to use forum and now with the inclusion of the membership level has taken it to a different level. The sponsors I had brought on myself are all very happy with the forums and they all agree that the price of sponsorship (which is usually a donation for prizing) is worth it.

Now the forums is being managed by a online publishing company that will make a profit off "price per click" and other digital advertising. I myself have been a moderator for only a year or so and am very proud of what this site and community has become. With my daughter being in the hospital for a couple months I found GTAA to be a home away from home. Most of you know me by name and have met my family.

So...

Since the site is now generating a different type of revenue, will the mods be compensated for their time and effort?

Also, what happens now to the memberships that people paid for to not see advertising?
altcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
TorontoPlantMan

Feedback Score: (37)
TorontoPlantMan is a name known to all

Also just curious as to what's going to happen to our information? Is it going to be sold to third-party advertisers?
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold

This is bad news for Gtaa

I am also very interested in knowing about our info as mentioned above.

Will any personal info be shared?

Will we have to pay to use the buy/sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jackson; 12-20-2013 at 01:27 AM..
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
altcharacter
Not a mod!

altcharacter has much to be proud of altcharacter has much to be proud of

To answer that question...they ARE that advertising company and they already have access to your information.
altcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
tom g
Devoted Member

tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default sucks

Well this totally sucks if this is the case....

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Spicoli
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (27)
Spicoli is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
Well this totally sucks if this is the case....
Um yeah, totally.
Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold
Default Big News!

That's just F'ing great!!!

I hate advertising as is and now I'm worried all my info that was sent through PM's will be used to bombarded me with junk mail

I know who to hunt down now if I get some odd phone calls lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jackson; 12-20-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
brianc

Feedback Score: (1)
brianc is on a distinguished road

every company has a privacy policy

I doubt they are going to be going around selling your info. Ya'll need to relax

Verticalscope isn't an advertising company

They are a network of forums and hobbyist websites.