GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Victor's 6g Tiny Reef

17K views 74 replies 16 participants last post by  kjay88 
#1 · (Edited)
Current FTS:

I have just started my first salt water tank with the Edge on last sunday Dec 11 2011. :)

Got 6 lb of dry marco rocks, 1lb of liverock, 6 lb of sand. There goes the sand storm and the waiting game of cycling...

Filter & flow:
2 x Koralia Evolution 240
Fluval stock filter

Lighting:
2 x Ecopico LED blue & white
1 x Panorama Pro 445nm Royal Blue & Magenta

Heater
Jager 50 Watt

Livestock
Yellow Clown Goby
Blue Reef Chromis(Jumped)

3 Snails

Coral

•SPS
Orange Montipora cap

•LPS
Nero Green Torch
Purple Tip Frogspawn
Nero Green Bubble
Christmas Favia
Cyan & Orange Acan

•Soft Coral
Different types of Zoas: pink, red, orange, eagle eyes.
Pink Pulsing Xenia, Pom Pom Xenia
Red mushroom
Blue mushrooms
Ricordea: Blue, Orange, Green, Multicolor

2013-12-11

2012-05-30

2012-01-08

See less See more
#37 ·
I meant white but I looked back a few pages and see you do. Bubble corals are hard to keep. They hate flow and bright light. Flow will tear the tissue and bright light will make it deflate.

#41 ·
Get metal halide if you want incredible. I have yet to see leds look nicer then a halide - t5 combo. But led is about power savings and long life. Led looks good, better then t5 but not better then halides.

#43 ·
I didn't just say halides, I said halides - t5 combo. I'm not much for the blue look either, when I had my 90 I ran two 150w 14k halides, 2 t5 10k, 2 t5 actinics, and two powerglo 18k which is not really 18k as its bluish white. I see a trend now for super blue tanks. On my current tank I'm running 1 actinic, 1 10k , and two 6700k. Its yellowish but the corals will thrive.

#45 ·
Do what I am doing... All three! LOL

I will likely not ever not have a halide over my tank (until plasma becomes a better choice :)) I have t5's that will be up and running when I get a new reflector. They will be for accent color. Then, eventually I am going to do what I have done before. I will be making LED "spot lights" to shine on certain corals to really pop their colors!

I am not sold on the LED units yet. They can grow a coral, but so could NO tubes (remember those tanks.... 6 bulb NO's.... LOL) They are getting better, but until they settle on a "ratio" of LED's (inc red/green/UV) I am not switching!

However, I have seen tanks with all LED, that look fake. The blue LEDs just bring out the most amazing colors!

#48 ·
Sorry bro, your tank is awsome. I can't believe you got that tiny 6 gallon to look like that. And it makes sense with the tiny hood you can't have anything other then led. Question, does the top glass always have bubbles collecting on it? Every time I see one of those tanks at a store there is always trapped bubbles on the top glass. Your probably not even running the stock filter are you? I'm thinking it is what brings all the bubbles.

#62 ·
Hello,

A point was raised regarding the maintenance of this tank. I would really appreciate it if you would share your experience in this regard. Some of the things I am looking for are..
1. Cleaning algae
2. Removing detritus
3. Cleaning rocks
4. Pruning and fragging corals

I am trying to start a nano also, and these information will help me greatly in my planning.

What salt are you using for this setup and what kind of dosing if any that you're using.

Thanks so much in advance.

#63 · (Edited)
1. Cleaning algae

Hmm actually there is not much algae to clean, I use the Vertex Cleaner-Mag Duplex to clean the glass like once a week, then my snails are doing their job so not much algae. ( I never snack off on 10% Water change each week)

2. Removing detritus

hmm not much to do about it, the size of the opening not really allow me to clean it much, but there isn't really much detritus to clean. I guess I layout the rock work where there is no dead spot. I have one powerhead at each side connected to a wavemaker

3. Cleaning rocks

Use turkey baster to clean the rocks while doing watch change

I haven't really frag any coral except the frogspawn and xenia. Both are very easy, you just use a small bone cutter cut at its skeleton where it has not living tissue.

Xenia as all other soft coral you can just use scissor to cut them.

What salt are you using for this setup and what kind of dosing if any that you're using.
Thanks so much in advance.
No dosing. I am just using Instant Ocean salt, not even the reef crystal. Brought a bracket and still haven't finish it after 2 years of reefing :D

Hope this help. :)

#64 ·
Super Amazing!!

1. Cleaning algae

Hmm actually there is not much algae to clean, I use the Vertex Cleaner-Mag Duplex to clean the glass like once a week, then my snails are doing their job so not much algae. ( I never snack off on 10% Water change each week)

2. Removing detritus

hmm not much to do about it, the size of the opening not really allow me to clean it much, but there isn't really much detritus to clean. I guess I layout the rock work where there is no dead spot. I have one powerhead at each side connected to a wavemaker

3. Cleaning rocks

Use turkey baster to clean the rocks while doing watch change

I haven't really frag any coral except the frogspawn and xenia. Both are very easy, you just use a small bone cutter cut at its skeleton where it has not living tissue.

Xenia as all other soft coral you can just use scissor to cut them.

Hope this help. :)
Hi Victor,

Thank you for the quick response, and super awesome answer to ALL of my questions!!! Having seen your tank and the length of time you have had it, your comments hold a lot of weight for me.

I am totally excited about the 10G I am trying to start thank to your answers. If you have and advice, or lesson learned, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks again!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.