GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Our Living Artwork Journal - Planted Discuss Aquarium

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  JAM 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
January 24, 2011

My daughter bought a juvenile Turquoise Gold Discus yesterday from Cam's Aquarium in Mississauga. Now we have a total of 5 juvenile discus. I think that's enough for a 67 gallon tank. What do you think?

Here is the latest video of our aquarium:

3 Months Old Planted Aquarium as of January 24, 2011

Tank Size:

48 X 18 X 18 inches
67.32 U.S. Gallons

Residents:

5 Juvenile Discus
3 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Brazilian Flounders
15 Amano Shrimps
10 Ghost Shrimps
5 Cherry Red Shrimps
20 Harlequin Rasboras

Plants:

Bylxa Japonica
Dwarf Hair Grass
Riccia Fluitans
Taiwan Moss
Red Tiger Lotus
Indian Red Sword
Bacopa Monnieri
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Repens
Corkscrew Vallisneria
Brazilian Micro Sword
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cabomba
3 Fortune Bamboos

Lights:

Modified Light Strip from Home Depot (32 Watts)

Fluorescent:
2 x 30 inches Lightning Rod T6 Superlux High Lumen Lamp (25 watts)
(One Dual Day Actinic and one Ultimate Reptile Lamp - $1 from Big Als - What a Great find!!)

Filters:

RENA Filstar XP2 Cannister (for 75 Gallons)
Classic Whisper Power Filter (for 60 Gallons)
Rio 600 Internal Powerhead / Filter
2 Sponge Filters
I am a firm believer in over filtration

CO2:

DIY (Sugar + Yeast in a 2 Liter POP Bottle using my XP2 Cannister filter as the diffuser)

Fertilizer:

Tropica Plant Nutrition+ capsules
Red Sea Flora Gro+ (Liquid Fertilizer)
Red Sea Flora Dose Mineral Tablets
Kent Botanica Vita (Liquid Fertilizer)

#5 ·
Van Beeks is a good place, lots of garden supplies and nice rock you can scoop for your scapes.

I know the daughter of the owner personally, great people :D!

Your tank is coming a long nicely. You may be able to fit a couple more discus in there if you keep up with your waterchanges nicely.

#10 · (Edited)
@Brian - egg crate: is that what you call it?

I bought it at home depot as flourescent cover.
Personally, I didn't really like to see heaters and filter tubes in the background of any aquarium - I like the natural look, then I got an idea of using the "egg crate" to cover the filters and Filter tubes and will also serve as hiding place (a cave) for our shy discus and riccia and taiwan moss wall. The riccia has not totally cover the egg crate yet that's why it's showing...I may need more riccia to speed up the process.

#11 ·
Thanks bro. One of the five RCS already ventured outside his safe zone for a few days and now gone MIA ha ha...I hope it's not KIA.

I'm still growing those HC you gave me....I got the tank, the drift wood, the light and filters ready - ain't got a heater and substrate yet and i'm talking to Beijing08 about those yellow shrimps he's selling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.