Finatics

52K views 181 replies 86 participants last post by  Clarkster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
6200 DIXIE ROAD IN MISSISSAUGA
L5T 2E1
Tel: 905-565-1232

What do you guys think of this store?

#2 ·
Excellent store. Mike really works hard on making his store stay in top shape. All the fish i have seen in that store are excellent quality.

Always has some sort of great deal on. :)

#7 ·
Mike's store gets a good reputation for being a cichlid store... also sells some FW community fish that are not as common in other LFS.

Deals in cash only, usually if you buy many fish at once he will cut you a deal.

Fish I bought from him... sometimes good deal, sometimes a fair deal.

6 corydoras aeneus (3 for $5 during Boxing week), sawbwa resplendens (40-50+ for $46), Nematobrycon palmeri (8 for $10), hemigrammus bleheri (8 for $20). All of them still bought healthy and still alive and thriving in my tanks.

Good LFS, super clean store, super clean tanks, well-maintained, knowledgeable guy! Highly recommended.

#9 ·
Ya this store has progressively gotten better and better since opening.

Its a good source for some nice good quality cichlids, particularly the SA/CA which he somehow manages to get some extremely nice examples of. He's had some of the nicest TRUE wild angels ive ever seen

#12 ·
Sorry I haven't posted here for a long time; it's about time I started again!

I bought six angelfish (not altum) a few months ago from Finatics. They were healthy and beautiful and have more than doubled in size since I got them! I would definitely recommend FInatics for anyone looking for cichlids. Mike is extremely knowledgeable and his fish are very healthy. He also has good deals on crypts every so often and can provide great advice when choosing plants.

Edit: I should add that the angelfish were much cheaper at Finatics than at any other store I investigated.

#13 ·
Mike sells crypts??? I always thought he did FW fish-only. Maybe plants on the side as you said. I would say he knows a lot about fish, particularly african cichlids, but I haven't talked to him about plants yet. Other FW community fish he seems okay with, obviously more knowledgeable about Africans though.

#14 ·
He had an entire garbage bin full of large crypts when I was there (to sell, not to throw out). I don't think he has plants very often, though. His store is almost exclusively dedicated to cichlids. There are a few tanks with other community fish, but the selection of cichlids is amazing.

#24 ·
Last time I went he actually had prices on almost all his tanks. He has breeders there that he doesn't sell and all of those don't have prices. If you take your time to actually speak with Mike, he's actually quite a nice guy with a lot of knowledge. I've been to Finatics twice but I've only bought frozen mysis and shells. :)

He's got some nice fishes and his show tanks are amazing but his prices are a bit high for me. I have bought my cichlids from PN members and they have been much cheaper.

#28 ·
good place.

Owner is a nice guy, passionate about his fish. If you're into Cichlids this is your store. I'm not into Cichlids, so this is not my usual haunt, but when I do start a cichlid tank I'll probably go here to get my stock.

Odd hours of operation. Closed Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, so you have to go in Thursday, Friday or Weekends only.

He's got the best price on freshwater Aquarium Salt (conditioning salt) anywhere: 1.50 for a margarine tub sized amount. Check it out.

And he had good prices on frozen foods (bloodworms, etc) last time I checked.

W

#29 ·
I think this store is a lot better than most other stores if you are a cichlid fan. Mike is a very nice person, knowledgeable and willing to answer all your questions. His store sells mostly fishes only, mostly african cichlids, and he's very selective in breeding as well, so fishes he bred will likely be in high quality (color, etc).

I was very impressed in my first visit, and I will visit again when I look for cichlids again.

He also has very good pricing on fish food.

#30 ·
Hey I just called him and he's doing some renovations in the store... said he's adding two more 32' rows of three tanks high! Haven't been there yet myself but I'm looking forward to my first visit. He said the reno's should be done in two weeks ish. It's still open but its not the most display-able as tanks of fish are piled all over lol.

Can't wait!

#31 ·
I am a bit excited to see the newly expanded quantity of tanks and what he's going to bring in. I had thought of this store as being primarily dedicated to African Cichlids, and so other Cichlids, and other kinds of freshwater tropicals were under-represented. I am sure he'll try to stock stuff that you can't get at the local big-box LFS. It would be nice if he'd get into loaches, brackish stuff, and plants. I am unhappy with my big-box LFS, and much happier with the mom-and-pop stores. Maybe this can be our new east-side mecca for all things freshwater and fishy.

:)

W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.