GTA Aquarium Forums banner

720 gallon plywood aquarium build

14K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  vincel892 
#1 ·
Looking for custom wood worker/wood working shop to have the plywood pieces cut. Preferably Scarborough but willing to drive.

In the process of designing a 720 gallon plywood aquarium for some monster fish. Took this design off of "greenterra" over at monsterfishkeepers so check out his thread if you get a chance.

Tank will be built strictly out of 3/4" plywood for the sides and bracing. It will have a front and left sided viewing panel. The inside will be sealed with epoxy and seams sealed with some strong SCS1200 silicione and lots of it.
Have not quite figured out plumbing yet but i will be using my 180 gallon as the sump. Any suggestions about filtration and equipment are more than welcome.

Dimensions: 8' L x 4' W x 3' H (~720 gallons)
Materials:
  • 6 plywood sheets- 8'x4'x3/4" thick
  • 2 sheets 19 mm non tempered glass
  • Macropoxy 646 for waterproofing inside
  • SCS1200 silicone for sealing seams and securing glass
To be continued....

Stocking:
  • 7 peacock bass
  • 4 oscars
These guys will be transferred over from current my 180 and 220 gallon.

Rectangle Triangle Art Creative arts Slope

Chair Rectangle Triangle Magenta Font

Rectangle Font Fixture Parallel Tints and shades

Cut Layouts (LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO CUT THESE!)

Colorfulness Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades Magenta

Brown Rectangle Wood Parallel Tints and shades

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Slope

Colorfulness Rectangle Purple Violet Font

Colorfulness Rectangle Purple Violet Material property

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like an awesome Idea , I've always wanted a monster tank. But half the fun in a DIY is the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself. If you are just looking for size cuts to plywood home depot can do those for you easily.

and any wood shop could help ya out. might cost you a bit though. Good luck and cant wait to see more .

#7 ·
Tagging along, i have seen one of these before, its amazing what you can do with resin and wood. Good luck

#8 ·
HomeDepot will cut the plywood for you as they have an upright track saw. Above a certain number of cuts they used to charge $1/cut but not sure how much it is now.

I've used LiquidRubber to waterproof the inside (ponds, wood water trough reservoirs, etc) and use GeoTex membrane or the Schluter (sp?) orange strips imbedded at the corners/seams. Faster and easier to use than epoxy/fibreglass as well as very little VOC so you can easily work with it indoors in a confined space and not pass out/get high...just smells like tar/rubber. In a pinch, you can use it to patch a leaky roof LMFAO

Make sure that all panels and stud joints are glued (PL) and screwed. You can use deck screws for the ply to studs but use Simpson structural screws for the stud to stud as the spirals are more aggressive and a larger head (comes with nut driver) so it doesn't pull out and has superior shear strength vs deck screws.

Viewing panes: it looks like you will have at least 1" where the glass/acrylic will overlap the opening. This is where it gets tricky. All you need is 1/16" layer of silicone between the panel and aquarium wall so putting a wee rubber something to use as a spacer in the middle of the area to apply silicone and mask off the viewing area. Apply a thick (~3\8") silicone bead so that you minimize bubbles in the contact seam. Gently wedge a 2x4 to hold it in place and let it properly cure.

Keep in mind that water pressure will push the panel INTO the inside frame and no structural strength is needed as with traditional "all glass" aquariums.

A few different ways to skin the cat :)

JM2C/HTH

#9 ·
Thanks for your input. Is the geotex membrane aquarium safe ?
Viewing panel: I actually have a 3" space where the glass can potentially overlap with the plywood window. How much do you think is necessary. I was thinking at least 2"?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
UPDATE February 8, 2020

Just started on actually putting the tank/stand together. Got the stand completed using 2x6's. The top and bottom frame/verticals are doubled up 2x6's for extra strength. Will be dressing the outside with some finished plywood and most likely using sliding glass doors for the front of the stand.

I also glued the double 3/4" thick pieces of plywood together. Going to let it sit for a week then start assembling the tank itself.
Still not sure about the sump design. Looking into different forms of mechanical filtration as this has been the biggest struggle for me with big tanks. Considering a DIY swirl filter but not sure if that can integrated into a bean animal type overflow. (Any thoughts?)

#12 ·
As they say "K.I.S.S." ;)

Use a dollar store slotted basket and stuff with Dacron floss/batting from FabricLand. Can't get any cheaper than that LMAO.

If its a conventional sump you will be building/farming out, a 12" section with a drip tray and incorporated overflow should the Dacron get clogged.

#15 ·
Update March 20, 2020
No better way to spend self isolation than building an aquarium. External overflow box built and installed. Applied 3 coats of black macropoxy to the interior, back and right side. Viewing panels will be painted with a lighter epoxy. I wanted a nicer design on the exterior but cant figure out what or how to do it. Any suggestions ??

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Looks like a great project so far. Have you spec'ed out the costs of the materials and glass yet? i might be interested in doing something like this so am very interested and tagging along here.

what are you using for the base of the tank? Plywood? as i noticed in your second last picture with the tank up on the stand that it has not floor in place and next picture it's black... thanks,, keep it going and good work

#17 ·
I honestly lost track of the cost. So many tiny things like hardware, glue etc that just adds up lol. Would say it's definitely cheaper than going all glass or acrylic of the same size. That picture is the tank turned onto its front. So the bottom is plywood.

#18 ·
thanks vince and for answering my Pm's... great job

#23 ·
Glass install complete. Took 4 people to carry the bigger if the two 3/4" thick pieces of glass. Not too much trouble sealing it with the scs1200 silicone. Used a caulking edge tool to make the seams look more presentable.

Please excuse my ghetto rig to hold the side glass up lol

#25 ·
Glass in place and tank is turned upright/moved into its final position ( took 5 people).
Up next is plumbing and finishing the painting. Picked up most of the PVC fittings, currently waiting for the bulkheads before drilling.

#28 ·
Here are some updates of the tank and livestock.
Added a snow gar and will be getting some more kelberi. Looking for a datnoid too but they are hard to find plus $$$$
Please excuse the poor lighting and music. Need to put up my light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.