GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Live food Pool - GTA Buddy System

91K views 407 replies 112 participants last post by  Apple 
#1 · (Edited)
Live food Pool - GTA Bug Buddy System

Live Food Bug Buddies...

Okay, here is an idea that might be something we should really think about doing. After the green water discussion, perhaps it is best to put it here.

Live foods are sort of hard to come by, and if there is away to group together a group who are willing to swap for genetic diversity, trade for something you need or sell to those who have nothing to start with.

This can serve purpose of acquiring live foods, or helping if a culture crashes and no back up is available.

Anyone in for this? Anyone wants to help me figure this out? I need rules of guide lines.

I was thinking we can keep our names in a list for what we want, what we are looking for.

UPDATE: Going to Update the list. Come on Bug Buddies :3

Your thoughts?

Live Food Haves:

Sunstar: Microworms, vinegar eels,
wng368: Baby Brine Shrimp (is this a culture?)
UnderTheSea: Phytoplankton, Live Rotifier culture (In progress)
Zebrapl3co: white worms
Ppulcher: Vinegar Eels, Red worms (In Progress)
juanitow: red worms
newbiefishfanatic: Pond snails (On the house)
Blossom112: Guppy fry, Vinegar Eels, Microworms (poor little slags) (almost all gone, I repeat, poor little slags)
Bigshark: red ramshorns, Microworms
Slobodan: daphnia, microworms, white worms

Live Food Wants:
theeyrietrainer: Microworms
desjardo: Daphnia, red/black worms
Sunstar: Daphnia, red Wigglers, White worms. Phytoplankton starter.
wng368: Black Worms
Zebrapl3co: Something the size of bloodworms
Ppulcher: Microworms, grindle Worms
Kyle775: White worms
Bigshark: Any Culture or trade
matti2uude: Microworms

Stores that have live foods:

Big Al's Oakville: Black worms (warning may contain leeches)
Big Al's Hamilton: Wingless fruit flies
PJ pickering: Wingless fruit flies

Rumour: Petsmart plains road may have live foods in future. For reptiles tough, they now carry Silkworms and hornworms, as well as the normal stuff.

Word from the Wise:
Did anyone know that you can start a daphnia culture from sun dried daphnia bought in some pet shops. Use some old or better yet green water in a gallon jar and sprinkle in some dried daphnia and in a week they should be swimming around. They can then be fed with brewers yeast a tiny dusting at a time.

See less See more
#56 ·
pj's pickering also has flightless fruit flies too which I found great. I would love to get some of these for my bettas and other fish

#57 ·
I got some black worms from Big Al's oakville yesterday, but they disturb me. they seem to have leeches in them. yich. although if I feed them one at a time, the bettas enjoy them.

Where can I find some sundried daphnia? can anyone mail me a few? I got green water.

#58 ·
I added Kyle's request, Cid's Bwiskered and My live food sightings as well has his interesting culture starter idea on the front page.

So hence forth, let us know where food sightings are.

#60 ·
you know my answer... :p I think perihex has gone around thinning my fry. But I don't think you would want to give them too many baby guppies since they have small bellies, but then again, my lot get fed, perhaps too much... if they are small they probably would be fine.

#61 · (Edited)
Well we tried and think my fry too big they survived the night lol .... all guppys are gone aside from 5 babys ...
so Will take some time now to grow more but its more manageable right now for me ....
should have more guppys in about 2 to 3 months!
guess I shall save snails now for your feeding pleasure (dog gets half tho lol)

#64 ·
bring some of your rams when you come up. I don;t need pond snails.

#66 ·
I could use snails of any kind, unless you are against them simply being food. I'm now raising Ghost and Red Cherry Shrimp, I have a hungry Porcupine and Stars & Stripes puffer!!
Once I have a good number of these guys I would be willing to do trades but for now I'm willing to pay for what you have if necessary.

#69 · (Edited)
next time you are my way, bring a culture down.

I am having multiple crashes.

I added you to having micro and vin eels.... I'lll let Katalyst keep her microworms for a while. Hopefully they don't crash like mine have been.

#70 ·
not a problem !!!!
Just going to see how the new ones get off ... but I checked and they are still squirming .
I did decide to use my good food saver containers as im picky about storing my food and the grade (Im food funny) I think the worms may do better in them containers ,im just antsy about poking holes in the lids grrrr
I have them out so I remember to look make sure they are alive and then I shall put them in the dark! im finding they do better in the dark.

#72 ·
Blossom, thanks for pointing this thread out to me. I will have red ramshorns available on a fairly regular basis, pretty much indefinitely. Bigshark took a load off my hands, so my numbers aren't too obscene right now, but in a couple of weeks I should be able to part with 50+. I will post here when I decide it's time for a cull, and see who is interested.

I will probably be able to part with some trumpets in the future as well.

#73 ·
your very welcome!!
see you soon for your culture ! and maybe I will grab a few rams when they are ready ! not right now tho lol
I will be setting your clture tonight so you will need to wait a week or more ! I just thaught instead of giving away what I have splitting it up for more people !

#79 ·
When daphnia are caught and dried in the sun their eggs that are mature and still in their body will hatch when the dried bodies are put in water. Daphnia do well in green water but also do well being fed Brewers Yeast. The eggs look like house fly poop or like fine ground pepper. Daphnia will soon be showing up in shallow woodland ponds along with fairy shrimp and mosquito larva.

#77 ·
My microworm cultures were rescued and are doing well, once more PHEW. that's why I have 5 cultrues at once.

#78 ·
Hey Bug Buddies!

I edited the front page of this thread with the following:

GTAA Meet. I will be bringing Microworms and Vinegar eel starter cultures. (Small packages) I encourage anyone who has a live culture to bring it along and perhaps we can swap and trade and spread our life food goodness around.

#80 ·
Wanted: Phytoplankton starter culture.

#82 ·
I was contemplating paste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.