Algae help please...and slimy stuff - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
betta_o

Feedback Score: (0)
betta_o is on a distinguished road
Angry Algae help please...and slimy stuff

Hi guys!
So i'm really new to the hobby. I recently set up a 15g tank. This was about 3 weeks ago. Since then i've done water changes ( also due to the fact that i was stupid and listened to the guy at Aquatic Kingdom and bought some crazy aqua soil which made the water brown)and ive been running a filter.

The problem is that i have algae...its on the plants. My dad seems to think that i already bought sick plants. I'm such a newbie The plants looked healthy and i did cut off all the pieces that looked off. Then i put in a piece of wood and now some weird slimy stuff is on it-which may also be algae? I bought it from Big Als and soaked the wood for about 2 weeks, changed the water 3 times and scrubbed it. Now i'm wondering if i should take it out and try to boil it. it wont fit into a pot so i will have to boil it and rotate it. Do u think using a steamer would do the trick?lol

So should i do a complete water change or just try to kill off the algae? i tested my ammonia leves and they are crazzzyyyy...so now i'm lost as to what i should do. i should mention that i don't have any fish in there! lol My betta is safe in his tiny home for now.
I'm attaching two pictures one is of the algae thats on my plants and then the weird slimy stuff on my wood.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (89.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (82.3 KB, 51 views)
betta_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta_o View Post
So should i do a complete water change or just try to kill off the algae? i tested my ammonia leves and they are crazzzyyyy...so now i'm lost as to what i should do. i should mention that i don't have any fish in there! lol My betta is safe in his tiny home for now.
When your water is not cycled, weird things happen. Good thing you don't have any fish in there. I would just leave it be and let things run its course.

If the algae really bothers you, you can try a total blackout for a few days. Your plants should survive while the algae won't.
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
betta_o

It doesn't bother me at all...i just dont want my plants to die...so i'll just wait.
By blackout do you mean not turn the light on at all? Should i still continue running my filter?
sorry i'm such a newbie...and there is conflicting information online and in books ^_^

Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
qwerty
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (4)
qwerty is on a distinguished road

The stuff on your driftwood looks to me like it's normal bacterial film that sometimes grows on driftwood. It wont harm anything, and some fish will happily eat it.

The algae is a little harder to tell. By your picture it sort of looks like a long clear slimy string... Like if fish slime was growing off the plant or something.

If that is the case then it is bacteria, not algae. But doesn't sound like cyanobacteria, so again, I probably wouldn't worry unless you have real problems starting.

New plants often take awhile to adjust when first planted and will do poorly for a week or more until they've established themselves. Some more than others.

Other than that there's no way to explain why your plants are dying without knowing more about your setup.

I'm not sure what you meant by "aquasoil" but if it was ADA aquasoil, that's good stuff.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
betta_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
The stuff on your driftwood looks to me like it's normal bacterial film that sometimes grows on driftwood. It wont harm anything, and some fish will happily eat it.

The algae is a little harder to tell. By your picture it sort of looks like a long clear slimy string... Like if fish slime was growing off the plant or something.

If that is the case then it is bacteria, not algae. But doesn't sound like cyanobacteria, so again, I probably wouldn't worry unless you have real problems starting.

New plants often take awhile to adjust when first planted and will do poorly for a week or more until they've established themselves. Some more than others.

Other than that there's no way to explain why your plants are dying without knowing more about your setup.

I'm not sure what you meant by "aquasoil" but if it was ADA aquasoil, that's good stuff.
I bought the soil from Aquatic Kingdom. Its Netlea Brown Soil- the guy really recommended it...but i think it was a waste of $
http://www.aquainspiration.com/produ...PE=AQUA%20SOIL
the package said not to rinse it but i tried to rinse it and it kept being brown so eventually i gave up and dumped it in my tank....the water was brown for a week, then i changed the water...added half an inch of other gravel and the water has been clear...until this algae infestation.
So do you think i should just leave this film on my wood? or should i try boiling it?
As for my plants, the soil is suppose to be fertillized enough but perhaps my plants are not getting enough nutrients?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Kerohime
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
Kerohime is a glorious beacon of light

I didnt know Aquatic Kingdom distributed Netlea...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
betta_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerohime View Post
I didnt know Aquatic Kingdom distributed Netlea...
Do you have experience using this stuff? so far i'm not impressed with it-it took over a week and a full water change for the water to clear up!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It doesn't bother me at all...i just dont want my plants to die...so i'll just wait.
By blackout do you mean not turn the light on at all? Should i still continue running my filter?
sorry i'm such a newbie...and there is conflicting information online and in books ^_^
Leave the filter running, turn the light off, and if possible, cover the tank with something black, like a garbage bag. Let no light into the tank for 3 days. That should kill all algae. However, if your plants are weak, they might not survive either, so it's a risk.
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Kerohime
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
Kerohime is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Do you have experience using this stuff? so far i'm not impressed with it-it took over a week and a full water change for the water to clear up!
I only have experience with the Netlea shrimp substrate and I quite like it.
I didnt wash it, washing it just breaks up the soil. I poured it dry into my tank, and slowly poured the water in with a dinner plate blocking the water, and it cleared up within an hour or so. Mind you I was using a Fluval 105 Canister filter on a 15 gallon tank, but the substrate has successfully kept the ph to lower optimal ranges. You should check out the thread dedicated to the substrate...

https://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23221

Last edited by Kerohime; 04-26-2011 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: typos
Kerohime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
BettaBeats
re-Planted

Feedback Score: (7)
BettaBeats will become famous soon enough
Wink

your plants will do fine during the cycle. They will help absorb excess nutrients (nitrite and nitrate).

the white slime is common on driftwood when first placed into a tank.

Tags
algae , plant , slime