CO2 system with Sodastream CO2 canisters? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (77)
conix67 is a name known to all
Default CO2 system with Sodastream CO2 canisters?

I've been running low tech planted aquarium for a while wanting to keep it relatively maintenance free. Now I'd like to try CO2 to see how much better it looks /w help of CO2.

I've been trying to see if I can put together reasonably priced system with parts off Amazon but can't find a decent source of CO2. Has anyone tried the sodastream CO2 canisters available from Canadian tire or other grocery stores? Looks like it will require an adapter to fit a regulator.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

Interesting idea. I am following your progress.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default c02 system

well in my opinion u are better off going with a paint ball canister set up as the soda stream is diff threads then a paintball canister . a refill with sodastream is 24 .00 at refill centers .. approx. I have a sodastream and I can get it filled at a paintball store for 11.00 last time I was there . I think the better way is paintball canisters unless u have a sodastream and want to use it as a multiuse

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (77)
conix67 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
well in my opinion u are better off going with a paint ball canister set up as the soda stream is diff threads then a paintball canister . a refill with sodastream is 24 .00 at refill centers .. approx. I have a sodastream and I can get it filled at a paintball store for 11.00 last time I was there . I think the better way is paintball canisters unless u have a sodastream and want to use it as a multiuse
Thanks. I was considering this as well. What is the thread on paintball canisters? Do you need an adapter to fit a typical regulator to it?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (108)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold

Agree with Tom, paintball setups are much better in every way. Aside from a convenience and different refill source, sodastreams are expensive and requires a special fitting.

Personally, just invest on the initial purchase of a 5 or 10 pounder, co2 equipment will last nearly forever, my oldest units are over 9 years old now. Still works like new. You may save $100 or so on a paintball setup because of the cheaper cylinders, but you'll make the difference back in refills within a couple of years. On a mid-tech 29g I used to get almost 2 years from a 10lb tank. Which saves a ton on refill and time.

Edit: yes, you need an adapter unless you buy a "paintball" regulator, which is normally just a regulator with a adapter. If there are special ones nowadays that are only fitted with a paintball adapter, i would highly advise on not getting those as that limits future upgrade possibilities.
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
TOtrees

Feedback Score: (6)
TOtrees is a glorious beacon of light

I've recently made the same upgrade you're considering. I got a 24oz paintball tank from amazon, and had been sitting on a 2-stage regulator by Ista. All the small items (bubble counter, check valve, diffuser) can be bought via amazon, ebay or even locally.
I agree with default about getting a proper CO2 cylinder, if you have the budget (I didn't). I'll upgrade if/when I can, but I'm in no rush.
For paintball tank adapters, the thread you need is CGA 320 (the standard regulator thread). Here's an example: https://www.amazon.ca/AQUATEK-CO2-Pa.../dp/B004M49QDC
TOtrees is offline   Reply With Quote