GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Fury165’s ultra low profile grow out tank - Haven

18K views 100 replies 29 participants last post by  Rookie2013 
#1 · (Edited)
This started last October with an unplanned purchase of a frag tank and a promise to myself it was just going to be a simple upgrade. Plan was to replace the existing tank and reuse all the other gear I already had running on my existing grow out tank lol. Well, that plan lasted all of one week and with the lots of help of Dan, Kamil, Paul and Tom I turned this into a full blown rabbit hole that took the better part of five months to complete. Without the help of these fine gentlemen I would not have been able to do this with such polish… take a bow guys!

I had planned to document each step of the way, however I was given marching orders to finish this rabbit hole no later than Easter Monday. I only realized that I hadn't taken any serious pics until I had already added water and was in the process of transferring the frags to the new tank. I managed to take some quick and dirty shots this morning. There is still a lot to be done, fit and finish and polishing up but that will happen as the week progresses.

So without much further ado, I present to you Haven - I hope you like it!

Tank

Canada Corals made this tank specifically for frag shows, but they decided to redo in white instead.

1/2" clear and black acrylic 24"L x 18"W x 6"H

Stand

Custom made Bosch Rexroth 45 Aluminum profile
24 1/16"L x 18 1/16"W x 37"H

Sump

Custom made acrylic sump in white and clear

Equipment

Return pump Tunze Silence 1072.040
Skimmer Bubble Magus NAC 3.5
ATO Tunze Osmolator 3155
Lighting AquaIllumination Vega
Water Movement EcoTech MP10WES

Control
Reefkeeper Lite
AquaIllumination Director
Apex Jr. with WXM module (for MP10WES)

Plumbing
All Schedule 40 PVC with silicone tubing for last foot to return pump.

See less See more
#9 ·
OMG! That looks awesome. I have subscribed as you have some great ideas. Great organization for such a small footprint. Very curious about the AI vega as I have to get some ideas for my DT. Did you have the fittings for the light made? (Not the EXT)

#24 ·
Thanks! No the fittings aren't custom, it is Bosch's EcoShape profile and connectors.

simply awesome .........great job my friend look forward to seeing this filled with wonderful frags .....
bring on the HAVEN ........
Thank you buddy, I'm sure you are glad this rabbit hole is nearing completion...you are a good man for all your help and patience listening to me go on about it lol.

It's about frikkin' time, lol! No problem Roger, was great to meet you! Looks stellar. Job well done sir.
THANKS! Couldn't have done it without you :D

Looks great! so fresh, so clean.. love the cable management.
Thanks Shaun, I love me some cable management too lol.

Wait a minute!!!

What is the BB Playbook for???
Is there something I don't know that I can use my Playbook paper weight for reefing???

Please share!!!
I know right! Mine was in the orphaned technology drawer when I Decided to finally put it to use as a screen for Aquaticlog, AI director and Apex Fusion (I have it remotely managing the mp10WES on this tank) :cool:

-
OMG Roger. This is for a 11.2 gallon tank!!! You are going to grow some of the healthiest frags, ever :D.
-
Yes all that for this low rider lol. I don't plan on any fish or CUC in this tank as it is too shallow IMHO for livestock. It will also allow me to do,true QT of the corals with no fish. Just plan on manual treatments if the need arises.

OMG Roger ... Freakin stellar!

11 gallons huh !? Wow ... I'd hate to see main DT set up lol

Mikey
Thanks Mike, I'm much more proud of this new setup compared to the DT. I really enjoy being able to work on the electrical without having to remove things to get to the powerbars et al. But I built the DT 3+ years ago and Ive learned lots since then :cool:

Hahaha! I'll need a few of minions for my next build :p

:eek: it looks like it's from the future -- VERY NICE!
Thanks! I've always been inspired of the concept of the Jeffery's tube system on Star Trek TNG.

So slick...

It looks 100x better than I ever imagined.

Good job!!!
THANK YOU Dan, there is a lot of stuff in this build from you...ideas and materials :)

LMFAO @ inna de sump hahahhHah

Looks fantastic Roger! Where did you get that red thing that you stuff the wires into? I need to do some serious wire management
Thanks J, it's called wiring duct and its used for network cable management in datacenters. They usually come in gray and some times white.. But you know to pimp my sump so I had it custom finished :cool:

Roger that looks just amazing congratulations....hope you don't run out of space anytime soon:D
Gracias Jeffe, it is already happening lol!

When you upgrade and want to sell this setup, let me know, seriously :D
Lol sure thing Albert.

hopefully money invested in this small tank will be paid back soon .... :D
I know....process of building is more important than money :D
It's not about the money, it's the journey. You know that :rolleyes:

#10 ·
frag tank

simply awesome .........great job my friend look forward to seeing this filled with wonderful frags .....
bring on the HAVEN ........

#11 ·
It's about frikkin' time, lol! No problem Roger, was great to meet you! Looks stellar. Job well done sir.

#18 ·
So slick...

It looks 100x better than I ever imagined.

Good job!!!

#21 ·
When you upgrade and want to sell this setup, let me know, seriously :D

#25 ·
Gee thanks Jeff :p. The RKL because I have 3 of them and a RKE (cheaper to buy a full kit used than a PC4 powerbar new) and I picked up the Apex Jr. a year ago cheap because I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I got a wxm module to control the Vortechs and LOVE it! The cool thing about it is that I can control all the Vortechs if even they are on another tank AND they don't even have to be plugged into the Apex powerbars. :cool:

I will be switching to all Apex soon but will still hang on to the Reefkeepers. I have one controlling and monitoring my Vinodor cigar humidifier :p

#27 ·
She's a beauty Roger, 100x better than I imagined, you did it again. If I end up spending allot of money on a frag tank, you're to blame.

Can't wait to see some corals in it.
Thanks Paul, couldn't have done it without your help. I'd love to see what your take on a frag tank would be :D

#32 · (Edited)
P
Thanks Frank :D

Frank, I built Roger that stand, you can buy bosch extrusion from advanced motion in Barrie. They come in 6m lengths, and there is no charge for them to cut it in half for you. You can cut the stuff on a regular miter saw, just use a super fine blade.

I believe the 8020 stuff is cheaper than bosch, but I've personally always used bosch, so I can't comment on the 8020 extrusion.
The man himself lol.

This has been a very informative post. Thanks fury165! I love the stand and wish I had seen the light bar before picking up my hanging kit :(
I have used both, and they are both excellent choices. That said the 80/20 brand has more fittings and accessories. They also have a couple places in the area that are resellers for them and there are no minimums.

check out the size of their catalog!

For a light stand you could use 80/20 1010 profile like I did on my first growout tank. Light and strong and really economical!

here is the old light stand... kinda messy now that I have begun to dismantle it.

#30 ·
Frank, I built Roger that stand, you can buy bosch extrusion from advanced motion in Barrie. They come in 6m lengths, and there is no charge for them to cut it in half for you. You can cut the stuff on a regular miter saw, just use a super fine blade.

I believe the 8020 stuff is cheaper than bosch, but I've personally always used bosch, so I can't comment on the 8020 extrusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.