#1 · (Edited)
Show & Auction List

GTA - GREATER TORONTO AREA AUCTION LIST >> FALL 2018

OTHER AUCTIONS (OUT OF GTA AREA) LIST >> FALL 2018

SALTWATER AUCTION / EVENT LIST >> FALL 2018

• PM me if you know of any this fall

PET EVENTS LIST >> FALL 2018

CAOAC Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs Calendar of Events

List checked & updated frequently. Please PM with new auctions not on list or any issues regarding content. TY.

So How Does An Aquarium Auction Function?

* ALWAYS Check A Club's Website For Details Regarding Rules, Regulations & Downloadable Sheets *

Most Auctions are now Cash Only (Pay per purchase)

For Buyers:

• Bring CASH, a cooler or three, a trolley for your haulage & your enthusiasm!
  • Some Clubs now have Online Item Lists for buyers to pre-view lots being offered. Available info on club websites.
  • Be there before the auction starts (not to worry if you can't make it early, you can still register as a buyer after the auction starts).
  • When you arrive, go to the registration table & request a buyers number.
  • Choose a seat that isn't taken. Put your coat or cooler(for your fish purchases) on your seat.
  • Hit the tables! This is where all the auction items are on display for your viewing pleasure.
  • Most auctions have 10 to 20 tables & each one can have 20 to 200+ items from individual sellers.
  • Tables are either numbered(1,2,3…) or lettered(A,B,C…) & auctioned off in order or randomly(listing order on a board), always starting with the first table.
  • Take notes & make a list of all the items you're interested in.
  • You'll see common & rare fish, shrimps, snails & plants. Foods, equipment, tanks, stands & many items related to the aquarium hobby are also up for grabs.
  • When auction starts, keep a close ear for the items on your want list.
  • The auctioneer will hold up an item, call out it's number and describe what it is.
  • Volunteer throughout the Auction. Ask "What Can I do to Help?" Be a runner (they get to see whats in the bags first!, help put bags on tables, help load auctioneer tables or help clean up during & after event. Very Much Appreciated.
  • Be ready to bid by raising you Buyer Number Card when the auctioneer calls out the price.
  • Make sure auctioneer sees you & your number! Be vocal! Say "Here!" or "Yuuup!" just to be seen.
  • If the bidding gets hot, the auctioneer may ask bidders to hold their cards up as he/she verbally ups the bid incrementally until one card remains.
  • You Won the bid!!! Its yours, Congratulations! Now pay for your item & continue bidding.

Easy, exciting, rewarding… until someone outbids you!

"There are NO Friends at an Auction" (actually there are lots of friends)

Sellers Preparation Before-Hand:
  • Prepare 2-3 days in advance & save yourself some time & stress the morning of.
  • Download Sellers Sheets Available on each club's website or FaceBook page.
  • Some Clubs now have Online Pre-Registration & Item Lists for both buyers & sellers. Available info on their club website. This save you & the club lots of time with on-site registration.
  • STOP FEEDING Fish/Invertebrates 2-3 days before the Auction! Larger Fish 4-5 days! Fish droppings create a build-up of ammonia in the bag & will kill your fish.
  • Double-bag by Putting 1st bag upside-down into 2nd bag. This prevents fish from getting caught in bag corners.
  • Right size fish to bag. Don't crowd too many in one bag. Separate pairs or trios in individual bags & tape together or re-bag multiple bags into one larger bag.
  • Use proper Fish Bags Only (get at your LFS local fish store or online). No Ziploc® allowed. Bring extra bags in case of leaks! MOST clubs levy a re-bagging fee of $1-$3per bag if they do it.
  • Large, Aggressive or Spiny fish, One per bag & Double bag!. Tape multiple bags together or fit into one larger bag. XXL fish can go in suitable size pails with lids(to be sold with fish).
  • Use FRESH AIR! General ratio is 75% air(more important that water) to 25% water. Do Not use your breath to fill bags. Inflate bag like a balloon. Air from an aquarium pump is really easy. Enough water to cover fish when bag is on its side. Knot or tie off with an elastic band.
  • Plants need very little water in bag(just moisture)
  • Label all bags (clearly so auctioneers can read it), with quantity, item name(common & latin if poss.), description, condition of goods, your name & email(optional). The more info you provide the better (and usually higher prices too!)
  • Bag dry goods, especially books, because display tables get wet!
  • PLEASE DON'T BRING,
    • Used Gravel or Rocks,
    • Broken or Filthy Equipment
    • Sick or Deformed fish/pets
    • Expired or Opened Food or Medication
    • Items you can't lift yourself like tanks over 40 gallons.
    • Check Each Club's 'List of Rules' before packing up dry goods,
    • Some Clubs don't allow any used items.

Seller On-Site Registration
  • Get there Early! Registration usually begins 2-3 hours before. Cut-off for registration is usually 15-30 minutes before auction starts. Check Auction Rules with each club.
  • Check in & register with auction staff as they will assign you a number, sellers sheets(to be filled out & handed back) & adhesive labels(hand back empty sheets & labels) for you to affix to each of your lots.
  • All your lots are to be put on corresponding tables by you and/or volunteers.
  • Your done. Now your free to be a buyer and join in on the Auction.
  • Now Volunteer!. Ask "What Can I do to Help?" Be a runner, help put bags on tables, help load auctioneer tables or help clean up during & after event.

See less See more
#14 ·
We may have to turn the 'freshwater' off... then all you'll have left is salt crystals!

Anyways, hope the KWAS addition helped. I was there last Octoberfish 2012 and the salty folk had a great time! Sorry you missed it.

If you know of any more saltwater fish auctions. Let me know & ill add them to the list

#19 ·
Hamilton was a great auction this past Saturday. The auctioneers were 'on fire'. There was a large number of lots & they got through 'em with great speed. Excellent job people!

The next auction is Saturday April 6, 2013 in Brantford & Durham is Sunday April 7.

Two in one weekend, Wowwww!

Which one are you going to?

See the links here & auction list in original post in this thread.

#22 ·
Aprl 10, 2013 @ 7:30

Annual Auction !!!
Due to the limited space in our current location, we are going to institute a pre-registration policy for the auction items being sold. Hopefully, this will speed up the process to get everyone and items ready for the auction, and be able to move things along quicker. Pre-registration of items being auctioned: (pre-registration is required if you are going to auction 5 or more items and optional but encouraged for less.
Email info@mastcanada.org the following information for pre-registration with the word "AUCTION" in the subject.

Your Name
MAST Membership No
Description of item

Auction Numbers will be sent back to you, please label your item with the Auction Number and your Membership Number before arriving at the auction. Please double bag all fish/corals as we have had a few issues in the past. You must be a member to auction an item.

MAST meetings are held at the following location:

Armour Heights Community Centre, 2140 Avenue Road, Toronto, Ontario.

#30 ·
I have never been. I would like tio know as well if anybody has beet to Sarnia auction.

It's 256km from WC & Derry Rd, Mississauga. Just a little over 2 hours.

HAs anyone been to the SAM Montreal auction? This year Montreal is Sunday Apr 28 @ noon

#31 ·
Just returned from the Sarnia auction some very good prices for buyers, not as big as London or Hamilton auctions but some very nice plants and fish. Picked up a large Albino Longfin male pleco for $20 also 7 Monty swords for $4. Auction started at 11:00 and was over before 3:00. :):)

#36 ·
The only two fall auctions I am aware of are Sarnia Sat. Sept. 14/13 and London Show and Auction Sun. Sept. 29/13. I know more will be coming up as Kitchener has Octoberfish in Oct. also St. Catherines usually has an auction in the fall and Peel as well. :D:D
AWESOME! So excited. By then I will have many apistogramma's to bring, they will be a perfect size by then, so I can sell them in pairs.

#38 ·
Just came back from the Montreal Aquarium Club's giant Auction (SAM) it was the best run auction I have ever been to. This includes Large national conventions in the States and Europe. Lots of fish we never see here in toronto. Here is a snap shot of some of the at the auction
Apistos
A. macmasteri
A.njisenii
A.caucutoides double red
A.beanschi
A.alcrina
A.agazzizi Fire red (I grab a pair)
Killis
Aphyo. elberti
Aphyo. striatum
Fp. gardneri 7 different populations
Chrom. poliaki A.S. and Chrom. poliaki moena (stopped at 25 on these ones)
Aphanius mento
Epiplatys dageti
Epiplatys chaperi
Riv. xiphidius
Riv. homliae

CPO's going for 5 bucks a piece
CRS going for around 10 a piece
CBS going for the same as CRS
rili shrimp
cherry shrimp

West aftrican cichlids

Tilipia bathyobates
Hemi. lafalili ( non crossed ones)
Pelvicachromis sp. Calabar
Buffalo heads (breeding pairs)

Lots of cories but going for big bucks. We are so lucky in toronto to have the breeders we do. They only had fairly common Cories available.
Africans sold at strong prices too but not many of them in the auction.
Plants sold for a sold 8 to 10 a bag. Java moss selling for 10 to 12 a bag.

In all prices we very strong for the sellers and if you wanted something be ready to stick it out in a bidding war. Not an auction for indecision. It was alot of fun. If you ever wanted to travel for an auction this is one to go to without having to cross a boarder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.