GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Aqua Tropics

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Rain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been by lately? What did you think? Let us know! :)

Aqua Tropics
2821 Dundas W.
Toronto, M6S 2S8
Tel - (416) 604-3530
Store Website http://www.aquatropics.ca/

#2 ·
Doing this on my phone so please forgive spelling and format.

This store is upsettingly bad. Rotting fish float about in tanks full of $&@#.
Some stock seems fine, others well..... I would pee in my own tank before I put one of those wreched things in.

It's sad because at first glance you think "this is a well thought out space if small" it seems clear that somebody cared about it once.

If you work at this dump and are reading this all I can say is "shame! shame on you sir".

Well smokes over, gotta run.

Rhab

#3 ·
The store has a lot of freshwater tanks with different fishes there, some live plants. Good prices. So close to my home.

But, tanks are dirty, have a lot of dead fishes. I saw several tanks with fabulous gouramis (red flame and red dwarf). Those fishes were just covered with ick white spots. :eek:

It's so close to my house, but so useless. :(

#6 · (Edited)
Such A Disapointment

went by the store the other day got the address fromthis site n how i was disspointed ich infested dirty tanks unorganized ,unkwoledgeable pooor selection bad quality and on top of that bad service wont b reuturning there ne time in the near furte and dont advise ne1 to waste there time goin thats jus my opinion
im not trying to throw dirt on there names jus thought i would give people a heads up

#7 ·
was picking up some stuff near by when I saw this store. I was there on Sunday before sundown bt th store was closed an hour ago before I knew of it being there.

The place has 2 tanks up front on the window display. One as a discus tank with a pleco in there and the other was a IIRC chclid tank with a pleco and large fish (flowerhorn?) about elbow to finger tip long and about 5" high.

I'll have to check it out if I'm ever in the area again. Looks ok on the outside of the store.

#8 ·
Discuses

I was there yesterday and found a great collection of discuses. Look at photos, sorry for the low quality, I used a phone.

Attachments

#9 ·
I used to frequent this store quite often when I was in the area. The Owner is very knowledgeable about Central and South American cichlids but will talk you out of buying anything. A few years back he had carried all the toughest American cichlids you couldn't find anywhere else...stock and prices where good. Since then, the store has taken a complete nose dive and everytime I came back the stock got crappier, tanks dirtier and selection dwindled. I think the owner doesn't care anymore because I haven't seen anything worth buying there in the last year or so (I've kept over 200 varieties of cichlids, so I'm always on the look for new and interesting species). The Owner has actually taken down one whole side of aquariums that used to run and where fully stocked and he said its because business sucks.

I probably will not be stopping in there anymore and it used to be at the top of my list when I was in the G.T.A..

#10 · (Edited)
This is the store closest to my house, so I go there quite frequently. I do have the feeling the owner (Bob) doesn't care as much as maybe he used to. And I have on several occasions sen dead fish in tanks, and the tanks need some serious love and cleaning. But I don't think it is as dirty as some other posts have suggested.

The variety of livestock is not great at all. Many types of tetras (neon, rummynose, glolight, beunes ares, etc etc), as well as platties, mollies, gouramis, swordtails, tiger barbs. And a few other fishies. Mostly fairly common fair.

However, he does have a large variety of Discus and Angelfish. And I have the feeling the health of those tanks is much better than the more common stock, as I have never noticed and fish looking poorly in those tanks. So if you are after Angels or Discus, it is a good choice. For more common fish, you may be better off elsewhere. But I purchased some neon tetras and 7 or 8 survived, which is pretty good.

For hardware and dry goods, not a fantastic selection, but again all the basics are there, and the prices are quite good. He also carries some knock of cheap Chinese brands, which are very cheap, if you want to save some money that way.

So, maybe caution in buying common fish, but OK for supplies and chiclids.

EDIT: Was in today (Jan 26/13), and he had the biggest variety I have seen in there. Corys, kuhli and clown loaches, rainbowfish, lots of new stuff. It was good to see the store so well stocked.

#12 ·
Appalling!

I walk by this store a lot, and I have never, ever gone in. I don't need to, because simply looking at the tanks they have in their display window is enough reason to stay away. Last time I checked, they had a motoro ray in there with a common pleco and several cichlids. pH levels are not the same for all those fish! I cannot ID the cichlids as I am no expert, but one of them was very, very aggressive. The motoro ray was WAY too big for the tank, as was the common pleco. The ray had bites taken out of it, and the tail was clearly bitten in half. There was also one cichlid in there that was hiding behind decor and had a chunk of his lip bitten off. Honestly, I was appalled.

This place should be shut down for animal cruelty, and by the looks of the reviews already here, that should have happened a long time ago.

I don't care if the owner used to care about his fish, this is despicable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.