GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Help discus issues

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  clubsoda 
#1 ·
I'm new to the site, but I've been keeping discus a year and a half now.

I've recently been having issues with my fish being skittish and showing a lot of stress bars.:( I have a 265 Gallon high tech planted. I've checked water parameters and everything looks to be fine. I've done a deworming treatment a couple of weeks back because my smaller pigeon was skinny but still eating.

I do 40-50% every mon and thurs
Keep the tank at 83-84 deg
Running 8 39w t5ho giesman tropic, 4 bulbs for 7hrs all 8 for 4hrs
Drop checker is green and I only run co2 with lights
Ph 7.6- co2 off
Ph 6.5- co2 on
The fish range from 2" to 5".

Any help from an experienced discus keeper would be appreciated

#4 ·
I've got 10 in total. One who's been in the tank since he was the size of a loonie, and he's the hungriest little bugger!!! I know ph swings can be an issue if it's an actual ph issue not induced by co2. I know it's a controversial subject all over other forums related to discus and planted tanks. Some say it has no effect, others disagree.

I never had an issue all summer, but last winter my fish seemed more skittish then too. I'm wondering if it's a water issue from the treatment plant......one I can't test for???

And the ph is steady at 6.6 during the day, and slowly comes back to 7.4-7.6 by the next day.

#6 ·
From my understanding PH swings due to CO2 don't affect the fish. I had a high tech planted tank with some low quality discus and the CO2 was never a problem for them with a similar swing. If your water changes are from the tap without ageing the water you get micro bubbles from the dissolved gasses in the city pressurized water line. This is much more pronounced in the winter and can disrupt the discus' slime coat leading to stress and then disease. This came to mind when you commented about the health of the fish in summer vs winter.

I agree, simplydiscus forum is the best place to research in your case. There are a few members on here that know alot about discus too but might not be as active on this forum.

#7 · (Edited)
Ph swings will affect discus and co2 lowers oxygen content in the water, warm water has reduced oxygen carrying capacity already. I keep my discus tanks heavily oxygenated and they are very active, low in dissolved organics too. Just my opinion but the high tech planted tank is a struggle for both aquarist and discus to maintain and prosper long term. It's far easier doing one or the other because their needs ultimately conflict IMO. From what you described your water changes may cause a big ph swing, smaller less dramatic shift in ph if there is one may help. Also check the TDS, I find if its high they aren't happy.

#9 ·
I use a digital TDS meter, can get them along with a digital ph pen for like $20 on line. As for your small pigeon I would move him into a small bare bottom quarantine tank, get temp to 88 and start him on metronidazole. The stress bars and skittish fish are saying somethings wrong. Tanks with substrate catch a lot of food, waste that contributes to dissolved organics which also raise TDS. Most who keep discus run bare bottom tanks to avoid these issues or at most have pool filter sand with driftwood. Your tank volume may have spared you this issue up to this point but things may have caught up. It's very hard to do what your doing IMO.

#10 ·
Contact Vern Archer // Archersdiscus.com

you could also check with:

www.archersdiscus.com

Vern Archer is located in Whitby. He is one of the best to guide you on Discus care.
He was a big help when i used to breed Blue Diamonds...back in the day !

#13 ·
No they aren't wild. I had the tank at a higher temp for a long time, like 86/87 and I turned it down because I heard that you can go as low as 82 and that will provide more oxygen in the water and hence less issues with diseases. I keep it at around 83.5-84

#14 ·
Air stones or sponge filter are a good way to add more oxygen that and I kept simple plants like java ferns and anubias with my discus. The plants survived but the discus thrived. Most of the domestic discus are used to bare tank and high temp. After years of keeping them I don't even think about lowering the temp anymore, summer I kept them at 86 and winter I turn it up to 88. Maybe not so good for the plants...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.