GTA Aquarium Forums banner

LF: Black Quartz Sand, Like the old 3M Quartz

6K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  fish_luva 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for Black Sand like the Old 3M Quartz that you can no longer BUY for a few years now. Even after tons of research and calls i'm still no further ahead so i thought I would make a posting on here and tax other good hobbyiest resources.

Before anyone Jumps to PM me :) I have tons of the black blasting sand and so forth (very cheap and easily attainable) . That stuff is great but even at a number 12 grit I still find it is still too fine for me.

For those of you that are familiar with black quartz & 3M then you know what i'm talking about.

Please let me know if you have any for sale, If you know where it can be purchased, or have any leads whatsoever?

Would prefer PM's directly Please. IF i come across good information then i will update it on my posting for all to see....and take advantage of.

Thank-you everyone for any tips/leads or product you have to sell.....:D

Sheldon

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to know as well, i am in the same boat. IN my case i was afraid the blasting black sand might be dangerous, though not sure where i would get that either. Right now i only know of Pool Filter Sand and Play Sand, but they are not black :(, and dont want to spend 100-150$ on sand for 75G tank.

#3 ·
Hi zfarsh, I will PM to you the place that i have used..Very good price and 88 LB bags.....

#4 ·
Quick bump .....

#5 ·
Still looking for any tips etc...

Quick bump to keep the information flowing...:)

Been sending emails to several companies to see if anyone carries any spectrum quartz or similiar products to the 3M,,, If i get any good news i will post here.....

#6 ·
Quick bump to keep the information flowing...:)

Been sending emails to several companies to see if anyone carries any spectrum quartz or similiar products to the 3M,,, If i get any good news i will post here.....
Yes, please do post any information you may find :)

#8 ·
Just a bumpski....

#9 ·
Still have not heard from any companies i have written to.... Never thought it would be so hard to find, still bumping for tips in case someone comes across this thread.....

#10 ·
Did hear from 1 company in the U.S with great products,, but we can only order basically for a skid. That would require quite a few people to be interested and very hard to coordinate..... sigh.....

my search goes on....
Cheers!!!!

#12 ·
HI adrenaline, Yes it is great stuff,,, I think i may have found a place for it now.. Almost exact product. I will be checking it out over the next 2 to 3 weeks and will post my results here on if the product is good, the price and location and so forth.....

cheers!!!!

#14 ·
Hey are there any updates with this?

I bought some black T-grade color quartz awhile back, but I am looking for more...where can I get some SpectraQuartz?

Also does anyone have pictures of the different grain sizes? I have T-grade but I was curious to know what the S-grade looked like....thanks

#15 ·
Actually.. yes, i do have some updates actually,,,,, .... Okay, so i emailed almost every company out there and guess how many responses i got back..... ????? well the answer was 2....

Forget about spectraquartz,,,, they didn't actually have anyone they dealt with in ontario and for them to ship to me i would have to get it by the skid,, so unless we had a huge group order.. no go and that is to risky....

I did although find a company that does carry the s-grade..(Company = Durock) and they are located at 101-B Roytec Rd. Woodbridge.
website http://www.durock.com
It's very very very nice stuff,,,, it's spherical in nature meaning no sharp edges.

Depending on the color you want,, and there is quite a few to choose from, the price is anywhere from $35.00 to $40.00 for a 50 pound bag.. and they do carry a very nice brown, black, white and so forth.....

I'm going to be rinsing this stuff over the next week to 2 weeks for new tanks i'm setting up and i will be able to let everyone know how dusty it is. The Guy who sold it to me said there was hardly any dust.....

i'll try and grab some pictures sometime over the next week to two weeks and compare the 2 because i do have some t-grade as well........

Cheers!!!!

#19 ·
Hi Sheldon,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am looking for a substrate for my 265 I am setting up. I was thinking of going with PFS mixed with aragonite but want to go with something darker like a mediu brown\sand color.

Did the durock stuff work out?

Thanks,
Steve

#17 ·
IF you can find it... please let me know,,,,, the s-grade that i have though,,, does seem very clean but i will update later on and send you a pm....

Maybe i'll restart the thread again with a link to this one....

cheers!!!!

#20 ·
NO worries at all steve,,,, I'm glad someone did actually. I did pick up the durock stuff a year ago and sadly i did not try it out yet.. have'nt changed or opened up anymore tanks. The product is great though, might be a bit light, not sure.. it's like an S grade and not a t grade. but it' snot sharp nor does it need to be washed.. although i would give a rinse anyways.

The sales rep says it's just like the old 3m product. This does not need to be washed because it's used in final flooring applications in the finish coat. So can you imagine if the stuff was dirty or the person doing the application had to wash it first.. Won't happen. It's mostly used on pool floors and entrace ways where a nice clean finish is required....

I will try it out soon or at least put it in an empty tank such as a 35 and see how it holds up under some water pumps and so forth....

Might be a bit of time but i will update.....
cheers!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.