Magnet Cleaner Good idea or bad idea? - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Mlevi
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
Mlevi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkshane View Post
Do you not use it often b/c you're scared of scratching the glass?
Yep...I'm wary of the potential for scratches, and, since I can't be bothered to check the surface each and every time (that would sorta defeat the purpose of leaving them in the tank), I am scared of using them.

I just picked up a new tank from someone, and I noticed that he uses those dollarama 'exfoliating gloves' to clean his tanks. Said they were the best product for the purpose, although I've never tried that myself. I asked about the risk of chemical contamination, and he said he's been using 'em for a long time without issue but that he boiled them before first use. Got myself a pair, but so far unwilling to take a chance with any of my tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

I use filter fibre. The only annoying thing about it is shreds breaking loose, but some of the thick blue stuff doesn't shred easily. It's pretty good for scrubbing off algae.

Those bath gloves are just spun polyester (same material as filter fibre) -- nothing harmful in that once rinsed.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
AquaticPulse
<Custom User Title>

Feedback Score: (4)
AquaticPulse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by characinfan View Post
I use filter fibre. The only annoying thing about it is shreds breaking loose, but some of the thick blue stuff doesn't shred easily. It's pretty good for scrubbing off algae.

Those bath gloves are just spun polyester (same material as filter fibre) -- nothing harmful in that once rinsed.
does that means you're against the algae magnet?
AquaticPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
GDidycz
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
GDidycz is on a distinguished road
Smile

Always clean the outside glass on your tank first. Foreign objects on the outside of the tank will scratch the glass. Be careful when using the magnetic brush close to strata as dragging some types of strata will scratch, other then that, there is minimal risk of scratching. I have a Mag float for all my tank sizes. If you have small or younge snails you may need to knock them off the glass before you begin cleaning, unless you want to kill them. Larger snails will see it comming and drop off the glass. If you are running a freshwater system I would recommend a healthy number of nerite snails. They do a much better job then any brush will and its one less maintenance job for you to do. Mag brushes last at least 10x longer then the scrubbers on sticks. Over the long run they are the most economical.
GDidycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkshane View Post
does that means you're against the algae magnet?
No, I am just not familiar with it. I just go in there with my bare arms. Maybe if I had a marine tank or a tall tank I'd get a magnet. For the moment, though, my current method is OK for me.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Al-Losaurus
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (31)
Al-Losaurus is on a distinguished road

I have both a cheap walmart one and a mag-float one both work nice i am satisfied using either. I do find with the carib sea salt and pepper sand the magnet occasionally picks up some sand i have never got any scratches tho.

If you think the standard mag-floats are expensive check this one out lmfao who would pay $500 for a algae cleaner hahaha
Al-Losaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
J_T
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (23)
J_T is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Losaurus View Post
I have both a cheap walmart one and a mag-float one both work nice i am satisfied using either. I do find with the carib sea salt and pepper sand the magnet occasionally picks up some sand i have never got any scratches tho.

If you think the standard mag-floats are expensive check this one out lmfao who would pay $500 for a algae cleaner hahaha
Anyone with a 1.5" - 2" tank? And by then, they would have spent enough money, that the magnet is cheap.

My magnet was almost 100$ I have 3/4" glass, and need the strength!

Posted with my Xperia, using Tapatalk 2
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Like us on Facebook!

Executive Member of Mast www.mastcanada.org
J_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
AquaticPulse
<Custom User Title>

Feedback Score: (4)
AquaticPulse is on a distinguished road

I got my magnet cleaner today. I have to say, I currently love it! though the next magnet i buy, if i do buy another, i'll get something a bit stronger. the benefits of getting a stronger magnet is worth the cost, though i don't think i'll pay $500 for an algae cleaner haha!
AquaticPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #19
Mlevi
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
Mlevi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by characinfan View Post
I used it on my tank today (bath glove). Gotta say it did the job quick and thoroughly. For $1.25 a pair, I would have been satisfied with 'decent' results, but this was truly 'great'. The only thing I had to watch out for, was the turbulence being created if i scrubbed to vigorously.

Tags
algae , magnet cleaner