Algae problem - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
pyrrolin
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
pyrrolin is just really nice

Ok, the tank was totally cleaned, this means we treat it as a brand new tank.

There are some ways to speed up the cycling process

Best way is to add some used filter media. With your type of filter, it isn't as simple as some other filters but still works. Might be another member near you who can provide some.

Another way is a bacteria booster. The one I use is Stress Zyme by API, others have brands they may use.

I recommend using one of these methods to speed things up and help keep your fish safe.

A couple days ago I recommended a 25 percent water change. This still stands imo. But we need test results to provide further recommendations past that first water change.

Colio seems to be right about it being an algae bloom. I personally don't know the best way to fix this other than getting the cycle going and some water changes. Hopefully someone else can post that info.

Read the sticky on the nitrogen cycle carefully a few times and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Because you totally cleaned the tank, it is now considered a brand new tank in regards to setting it up and getting it cycled. When you cleaned the tank, you killed any and all good bacteria you may have had. Nothing wrong with starting from scratch, just not the preferred method.

about 20 tanks sitting unused in storage due to lack of space

Yes I have MTS
pyrrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi View Post
...I mean clean tank, filter with beach and start over.
Yesterday I have 30% water change and had turned off light for 48 hr. Add another filter. When I check it this morning, the water looks a bit clear than before. Thanks for all the help. you gays are great.
Hmmm. I think this means he cleaned the tank but not with bleach, as he did a 30% water change. If he cleaned his tank and bleached it would be impossible to do only a 30% water change. I think.

Cleaning your filter with bleach...I hope you did not do this. Bleach will kill all the bacteria, beneficial or bad, and set your filter back to day 1 of a tank cycle. If not thoroughly washed out with dechlorinated water your fish will suffer. Your old filter is now not cycled. Your new filter will not be cycled.

The water may be cleaner looking due to your water change and a new filter, but ammonia will quickly build up, burn your fish and kill them. There are no beneficial bacteria in your tank to turn the ammonia (most toxic) to nitrites (less toxic than ammonia but still very toxic), and nitrites to nitrates (even less toxic than nitrites, fish can tolerate some). Your only solution is to do frequent water changes, and with a 100G tank that is an onerous task.

Your fish are more at risk now than before you did the bleach cleaning.
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
pyrrolin
Devoted Member

it was 3 or 4 weeks ago that they cleaned the tank with bleach and then reset up everything.

We are basically helping them with a brand new setup now that it was all cleaned

Hoping to see some ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings so we can give advice on the next step

Yes I have MTS

Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
xriddler
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
xriddler is an unknown quantity at this point

i really like using seachem stability to cycle. you can still do a fishless cycle but if the stability is not tainted you cycle in 7 days basically. add the amount of recommended stability then add ammonia for 7 days. Or since you already have fish and probably alot of ammonia in there because of the waste just start dosing stability in the tank.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #25
pyrrolin
Devoted Member

yup, seachem stability or API stress zyme would greatly speed things up. I have only used the API one myself so far and now that I have multiple tanks, I rarely need it.

Yes I have MTS
Old 05-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

Colio, speaking of trying to reduce confusion - you've said ammonia goes to nitrite, then nitrite goes to "NITROGEN".. my emphasis, not yours. But this is incorrect, though I'm sure you meant to say nitrate, unfortunately, that's not what you typed.

The cycle is called the nitrogen cycle, yes, because it deals with various nitrogen containing compounds, but nitrogen is not the end result. Nitrates are. The bacteria that break down the ammonia and nitrite are called nitrifying bacteria.

The only way you get nitrogen as an end result is if you use an anaerobic type of filtration. There are a few, many DIY. One that gets a lot of advertising is the AquariPure [ I think that's the name, don't quote me], which has DENITRIFYING bacteria inside it that do, in fact, convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, which is then released into the air. Such bacteria are able to live only in places that have no oxygen.

Many anaerobic bacteria produce other, quite nasty smelling gases as byproducts. Many contain sulfurous compounds, so they smell like rotten eggs. Swamp gas, iow, which you may get if you have gas pockets in poorly maintained substrates in FW tanks.

Such filters are expensive to buy, but they do work, so far as I know. Salt water tanks with deep sand beds in the refugium work this way. The sand bed keeps the oxygen out, so the denitrifying bacteria can live there and convert the nitrate to nitrogen. Keeps nitrates under control in SW setups.

Pyrrolin, yep, that's one reason why plants don't do well in goldfish tanks. Goldfish, [like a number of cichlids], like to root up plants, and they find many of them quite tasty. They are ominvores who like a lot of veggies. People who keep them in numbers, or in ponds, usually end up providing them with plants they like, which may help keep them from destroying the rest. They like to eat duckweed, I believe, and one they adore is Azolla, another floater. Where ponds are year round, some grow Azolla deliberately as goldfish food. They also like the aptly named goldfish plant, the botanical name of which I forget just now. But any plant not firmly rooted into deep substrate or better yet, a dirt pond bottom, will probably at some point be uprooted as the fish pursue their penchant for digging, even if they don't eat it at all.

Use of quite large heavy pebbles on top of the substrate may assist in keeping some plants in place.. if you don't mind the look of them.

Last edited by Fishfur; 05-18-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae , goldfish