Dual heater question - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > Buy, Sell & Trade > Hardware and Dry Goods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Hardware and Dry Goods All tanks, equipment, food, medications and the like go in here! :) Please fish related items only.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Coolguy1181

Feedback Score: (3)
Coolguy1181 is on a distinguished road
Default Dual heater question

Hey guys. I'm currently running 2 heaters on my tank. I'm finding finding that one of the heaters is doing all the work as I can't get the set points to match with the dial controls. Has anyone seen or knows where to get a temperature controller locally where I can plug both my heaters in and have 1 thermostat control them? I attached a picture of one I found on Amazon but I would rather see one in person before buying it.

Coolguy1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Reis
Pleco Hunter

Feedback Score: (27)
Reis is on a distinguished road

How big is the tank? And which heaters are you running?

Check out my new stock and reviews!
Website
http://www.nextgenaquatics.com

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/nextgenaquatics

Instagram @Nextgenaquatics

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/NextGenAquarium

Local Pick Up = Eglinton and Keele, Toronto (Highway exit is Black Creek OR Keele off of 401)
Reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Coolguy1181

Coolguy1181 is on a distinguished road

It's a 70 gallon tank. I don't remember exactly off hand I'd have to check when I get home but I think they are 200w heaters (I'd have to double. The one heater stays on a majority of the day. Goes off for like 10-15 minutes and holds the temperature steady But I'd like for both of the heaters to share the work instead of having the second one as a back up.
Coolguy1181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Reis
Pleco Hunter

Feedback Score: (27)
Reis is on a distinguished road

My opinion would be to just buy a solid working heater. Don't waste your money on that when all you need is a good single 250w heater that will work when needed. There are countless threads about heaters... lol everyone has their own opinion and which model is best, so just do research and see. I use Aqueon pro's and have been VERY pleased with this new product. Been using for over a year and a half now and not one issue. It holds the temperature I need it to, heats up the aquarium VERY fast, and is a solid product that won't break or leak (it's not made of plastic or glass)
The 250w is good up to 90g and I'm currently running one without any issues.

So save a ton of money by using only one good reliable heater.

Hope this helps!

Check out my new stock and reviews!
Website
http://www.nextgenaquatics.com

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/nextgenaquatics

Instagram @Nextgenaquatics

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/NextGenAquarium

Local Pick Up = Eglinton and Keele, Toronto (Highway exit is Black Creek OR Keele off of 401)
Reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Pocky

Feedback Score: (1)
Pocky is on a distinguished road

Having two never works exactly for the reason you described. You can't set them both to be calibrated exactly the same, so only one of them will work at a time.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
davebradley

Feedback Score: (0)
davebradley is on a distinguished road

I always used two. Set one a degree or two lower than the other. Change them around every water change so they see equal use. Great backup in case one fails. ( although usually if the fail they remain "on" and heat the tank too much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davebradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
appak
><)))>

Feedback Score: (19)
appak is on a distinguished road

I have this on my freshwater:

http://www.amazon.ca/RANCO-ETC-11100.../dp/B0015NV5BE

And this on my reef:

http://www.amazon.ca/Johnson-Control...dp/B011VXM2FK/

there are many benefits to using an external controller such as the ones above, even if you only run one heater. having had multiple heaters fail in the "on" position, i will never run one without a controller again.

check local beer brewing places, they usually sell these for use in beer fridges, for fermenting, etc.

usually you will have to waterproof the probe (just get some heat-shrink tubing and it will seal it off nicely)
appak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
cica
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (37)
cica is on a distinguished road

Just get a Reef Keeper Light. You set the heaters one degree above your target temp. and set your RKL to the target temp. You can use two outputs ( out of 4) for the two heaters and still have two outputs for something else, like timer for light, pumps or whatever. This way if one of the heater fails in off position, you still have the other working. If one fails in on position, the controller takes care of turning it off.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Jmbret
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (17)
Jmbret is on a distinguished road

Have you tried placing the heaters in opposite ends of the sump? If you play around with the various thermostat settings and positions you can change things a little bit.
To clarify, what is the actual problem you are having? If one heater stays on more than the other, this in my opinion isn't a problem. It could work to your advantage for backup/redudancy in case one heater fails in the off position or burns out.
If you are trying to close the gap of the high and low temperatures having a reefkeeper will definitely help to close the gap. I used to fluctuate +5 degrees until I bought my reef keeper and now 1.5 degree fluctuation. It also covers your @ss in the event the heater gets stuck in the ON position. Very reassuring. I don't think it is a necessity though. You have two heaters both are functioning. If one goes down you have a backup. I wouldn't waste money on that device you originally posted. Read what DaveBradley posted...

If you are looking to spend some money on your tank and upgrade, a reefkeeper can help you out in more ways than you can imagine but beware, reefkeeper is a gateway drug.

J

Last edited by Jmbret; 01-26-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Jmbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
bob123
Devoted Member

bob123 is just really nice

I believe that controller has two temperature settings but only runs one heater.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote