Let's talk filtration media - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #1
Boreas

Feedback Score: (13)
Boreas is on a distinguished road
Default Let's talk filtration media

What is everyone using for their filtration media?

Mention in your response, what type of filter you use, size of your tank, etc.

I currently have a 65 gallon community freshwater tank that's also well planted with live plants in a low tech set up. I'm using a canister filter on it with a mix of course foam, Poret foam, finer Poret foam cut into 1 cm cubes, then Seachem Matrix and Fluval bio max (The ceramic rings) mixed together. I let the plants reduce my Nitrate so maintenance stays easy.

I've just been reading up on Marine Pure media. That stuff looks amazing. Biohome media also looks great. Though I haven't tried either and both are quite pricey.

What's everyone else using? What do you guys consider to be the best media to house your beneficial bacteria?

Last edited by Boreas; 04-16-2016 at 11:59 PM..
Boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

I have a 65 gallon tall tank with Altum Angels and I use a Hamburg matten filter only. It has been running for about 18 months and has not been replaced or cleaned in all that time. If I could get more of the same I would use it my other 23 tanks no question.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Pocky

Feedback Score: (1)
Pocky is on a distinguished road

Eheim 2217, default media. Tossed the white floss, it clogged up and couldn't be cleaned easily. Put in more floss of a different brand, same thing happened. So I stopped using floss. Also have purigen in it. Works ok.

Fluval 406. Default media + seachem matrix. Media is all just foam really. Seachem matrix is basically rocks. Nothing special.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Cichlidrookie

Feedback Score: (16)
Cichlidrookie will become famous soon enough
Default Matrix, Purigen and Eheim stuff

So I have two eheim classic canister filters, 2215 and 2217.

In the 2217 I have Eheim mech, blue foam, Eheim substrat pro, got rid of floss and carbon pads (clogged up too much) and purigen.

In the 2215 I have Eheim mech, blue foam, matrix and purigen. Again no floss or carbon pads.

I have no idea if that is the best media but my cichlids are not dead and breed occasionally. I think the eheim substrat pro is pretty good and porous so it works well for me. As for the matrix I was just trying it out and to me it just looks like stones but I know they are super porous stones therefore good for filtration. The best thing I did for my tank is adding purigen. My water looks so much better since I added it and I like that it can be recharged. By better I mean clearer, more white not yellow tint.

I have looked into Marine Pure media but it is super expensive and I think I will be using if for my next SW tank.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Pocky

Feedback Score: (1)
Pocky is on a distinguished road

Yeah the floss is garbage. I wonder if there is a good alternative that is finer than the blue foam pad but not as fine as the flimsy floss.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote