Plastic in LED light cracked, where to buy replacement? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Pocky

Feedback Score: (1)
Pocky is on a distinguished road
Default Plastic in LED light cracked, where to buy replacement?

You know the thin plastic in LED lights? Mine is cracked. Anyone know where I can buy similar material to replace it?
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
sLAsh
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (6)
sLAsh is on a distinguished road

Home depot or lowes carry polycarbonate/lexan that should work. You can get acrylic from laird plastics. Alternatively look for something cheap in the dollar store that you can dismantle
sLAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Jeepcarpenter

Feedback Score: (10)
Jeepcarpenter is on a distinguished road
Default Plastic in LED light cracked, where to buy replacement?

The polycarbonate, acrylic and lexan in Home Depot is often not near thin enough and would probably have to be routed with a rebate at the long edges to fit into the channels, at least to what I am accustomed to for led's. I honestly don't know where for clear, but I use white Mylar as a diffuser for brighter lights; it's possible clear Mylar or duralar would work. Or if you cannot find a good replacement alternative, can use epoxy to seal or mend cracks or missing pieces, using an old gift card to smooth out, or the same white Mylar as a form for larger holes as the epoxy can't adhere properly to Mylar. The cheap dollar store epoxy syringes work well. I have (edit: white) Mylar and epoxy if you want to go the repair route.

How big of a light? I might have a piece of acrylic big enough, that I could mill for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jeepcarpenter; 11-28-2018 at 09:03 PM..
Jeepcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Pocky

Feedback Score: (1)
Pocky is on a distinguished road

It's the Chihiros A351. The seller said they would send me a replacement so I'll just wait for it. Could take some time since Canada Post strike.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote