Big feeder fish? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
YMS_1975 is on a distinguished road
Question Big feeder fish?

Can somebody please recommend freshwater feeder fish that are bigger than guppies, platies or goldfish?

I have pet turtles and I was raising platies but my turtles can't seem to get enough of them (because they're so small). Of course the feeder fish are not their main staple but I would like to offer them live feeder fish that are bigger.

Can somebody make some suggestions?
YMS_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
mistersprinkles
Banned

Feedback Score: (4)
mistersprinkles is on a distinguished road

There's nothing you can use that's going to be economical. What you're doing now is probably the most cash efficient way of doing it.

You can obviously use any larger fish but it's going to cost you a lot of money to keep that up if you aren't breeding them.
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold
Default Big feeder fish?

Feed chunks of tilapia.

If you want to feed live get some crayfish or snails

Feeders are equivalent to garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jackson; 11-26-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
mistersprinkles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
Feeders are equivalent to garbage

I wouldn't say that. "Feeder fish" like feeder goldfish are definitely an inferior source of nutrition as they are not well cared for in the trade and are sickly and malnourished.

But feeding Platys you raise at home is not garbage at all.

It would be good to feed Tilapia but since there is no bone, the turtle is not getting any calcium with it's meal.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold

That's why a good quality pellet should also part of its diet.

Platies are ok but you'll need a big breeding project to have enough platies to keep the turtles well fed.

I feed all of mine NLS pellets, fresh veggies, tilapia, crayfish and snails. The snail shells provide calcium as well

Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
mistersprinkles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
That's why a good quality pellet should also part of its diet.

Platies are ok but you'll need a big breeding project to have enough platies to keep the turtles well fed.

I feed all of mine NLS pellets, fresh veggies, tilapia, crayfish and snails. The snail shells provide calcium as well

I know turtle pellets are inferior quality to NLS but wouldn't they still be better for a turtle than NLS?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

What species are the turtles ? I ask because if they are RES, they become vegetarian when they're older. They tend to lose their interest in meat once they get some age on them.

Meantime, I'd suggest cultivating as many snails as you can. I used to feed my turtles snails, which they love, and the shells are good calcium sources. When they were babies, I used to drop them in my tanks to eat the snails, as they were too small to catch any fish at the time. I also fed them liver, which they loved as well, and it's relatively cheap.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Hitch
Hypancistrus khnutocapsa

Feedback Score: (83)
Hitch is a name known to all

what species of turtles do you have? how old are they?

In my turtle set up, I have cherry shrimp and endlers with them. So they would occasionally catch one and get some extra enrichment, plus its good environmental enrichment for them as well. Also have aquatic plants in there and they would take a bite and nibble on plant matter from time to time. (also have some small "flakes" of cuttlebone for extra Ca supplement.

In terms of pellets, one I would recommend you look into is Mazuri Turtle Diet (or Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Food...dont remember the name). I know a couple of local reptile stores carry them, they are also available online through a couple of Canadian suppliers. Mazuri is one of the best in the market as a dried diet and it actually provides good nutriment. In my 5+ (I think, at least 3+) years of using Mazuri as their main staple, I have never had MBD, bad shell development and pyramiding in either adults, juvis or 3month hatchlings.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Kimchi24
Heavy Metal Aquarist

Feedback Score: (36)
Kimchi24 will become famous soon enough

A buddy of mine mooches off the worms I raise for my axolotl. He feeds them that as a supplementation, alongside pellets. I raise red wiggles and have a simple farm going. Occasionally I'll buy more red wiggles to mix in just I case I run out and don't see it coming. His turtle eats much more than my axolotl does haha
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
YMS_1975
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
YMS_1975 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi24 View Post
A buddy of mine mooches off the worms I raise for my axolotl. He feeds them that as a supplementation, alongside pellets. I raise red wiggles and have a simple farm going. Occasionally I'll buy more red wiggles to mix in just I case I run out and don't see it coming. His turtle eats much more than my axolotl does haha
That's funny. I'm a vermicomposter myself; I've got an ad running on Kijiji. I feed them :
  • Red Wigglers
  • Mazuri Freshwater Turtle Food [Pellets]
  • Frozen shrimp (and I pack in the Mazuri Freshwater Turtle Food [Pellets] into each shrimp for added nutrition)
  • Beef heart (and I pack in the Mazuri Freshwater Turtle Food [Pellets] into each shrimp for added nutrition)
  • Comet Platies (but they're just so damn small)

Oh well.....guess I'll have to stick with what I've been doing so far. Too expensive to raise the bigger fish I guess.
YMS_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeder , fish , turtle