Peel Regional Aquarium Club Annual Auction - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 10-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
fishead
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
fishead has a spectacular aura about
Default Peel Regional Aquarium Club Annual Auction

The Peel Regional Aquarium Club will be hosting their annual auction Sunday, November 3, 2013. Sellers are asked to bring their fish in between 8AM and 10 AM with the auction starting at 10AM.

We are presenting a new auction format this year.
Please visit our website for further details.

http://www.peelaquariumclub.org/auction.shtml

Lots of rare and exciting fish available for a multi-item raffle
50/50 draws
Food, snack and refreshments will be available for sale
Plenty of free parking

I hope to see you all there!

Should you have any questions or comments please feel free to PM me.

Thank you,
Haydn

Last edited by fishead; 10-13-2013 at 01:55 PM..
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
matti2uude
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (79)
matti2uude is a jewel in the rough

The link for the auction rules doesn't seem to work for me.
matti2uude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
TorontoPlantMan

Feedback Score: (37)
TorontoPlantMan is a name known to all

Does anyone from PRAC know when the sellers forms online are going to be available? Been checking their website for awhile and still not updated
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
snaggle
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
snaggle is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some new rules I am sure what I think of them,

"As a buyer, you must have an auction card and be seated in order to bid. Your hand goes up at the beginning of bidding and stays up as long as you're still interested in bidding. Once your hand goes down, you will not be able to re-enter that bidding for that item. No exceptions."

"Item inspections for buyers will occur during intermissions only. Buyers will not be permitted to inspect fish while the auction is going on."

I have seen alot of fish auctions where they lower the price to $1 and then you get 20+ people bidding and they drop out and rejoin trying to out maneuver the other bidders.

I also like to check out lots if i missed one that I had on my list, that way I keep a fresh list going.

Last edited by snaggle; 10-13-2013 at 08:45 PM..
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Scotmando

Feedback Score: (64)
Scotmando is a splendid one to behold Scotmando is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
There are some new rules I am sure what I think of them,

"As a buyer, you must have an auction card and be seated in order to bid. Your hand goes up at the beginning of bidding and stays up as long as you're still interested in bidding. Once your hand goes down, you will not be able to re-enter that bidding for that item. No exceptions."

"Item inspections for buyers will occur during intermissions only. Buyers will not be permitted to inspect fish while the auction is going on."

I have seen alot of fish auctions where they lower the price to $1 and then you get 20+ people bidding and they drop out and rejoin trying to out maneuver the other bidders.

I also like to check out lots if i missed one that I had on my list, that way I keep a fresh list going.
From what I've heard, they're adopting the SAM - Société d’Aquariophilie de Montréal auction format. Apparently they, SAM, have the best run auction in the country, ending in 5 hours or less with way more lots than our auctions here in Ontario.

PRAC - Peel Regional Aquarium Club has acquired the software for this type of auction format. It's quite amazing actually. Yes, there will be a few changes, but all in all, you'll be out the door a lot sooner.

What are some of these changes?

Yes, you'll be able to view the bags on the tables. But, only during a pre-determined intermission every hour of 15 minutes or so. This gives the auctioneers a break & you a chance to stretch your legs.

Yes, you'll have to be seated to bid. But, imagine a screen with a current list of the upcoming 20 or so items. Information is the key. If you need a break, you can sneak out between lots you don't want. Easy actually.

Yes, you'll have to put your bidder card up at the start of the bidding. The last card up wins the bid. We've all seen this several times at our local auctions when the bidding is hot! The only difference, no sneak-in bids. It works!

Auctioneers have a hard time seeing who's bidding & these changes will really help them & make the process go faster.

I welcome these changes, 'cause I hate sitting through an 8 hour auction! I think a lot of the other club executives are going to be at this auction to see how well it runs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think I heard.

Looking forward to the auction on Sunday, Nov 3rd, 2013

Check out the PRAC Website

Last edited by Scotmando; 10-14-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Scotmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
fishead
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
fishead has a spectacular aura about
Default Prac Auction

Hello Matt are you still having issues with getting the rules? If so I can email them directly to you. send me a PM

Snaggle I understand what you are saying and we did weight the pro's and cons of the bidding process. For the few dollars someone can save on the odd item we are looking at saving everyone that attends the auction 2 to 3 hours on thier day. We felt that that was worth the few dollars someone might save. Also all bidding will start a two dollars and move forward from there. I will be having an orientation with all the auctioneers so that the bidding process will be both fair and have a cadance to it. Auctioneers are also not allowed to bid.

I have seen this auction process in action and it can go through approx. 240 items an hour. Yes that is not a typo. a 1044 item auction took 5 hours to do with 15 minute breaks every third table. I don't expect to be that fast but a rate of 200 items an hour is not unreasonable. We are having the extra breaks because we will also be raffling off bags of fish and any donations we get from local suppliers. There will be some very rare fish and plants available in these raffles.

Torontoplantman there will not be a seller form for you to fill out but a link on the website that you enter the information into the database. You will get a confirmation via email for your entries and when you show up the day of the auction you will get a listing of all the items you have registered with your pre printed labels for your items.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the auction format or if you are having any issues with data entry or anything else please PM or email me [email protected]
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

It is going to be available Oct. 26th.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Scotmando

Feedback Score: (64)
Scotmando is a splendid one to behold Scotmando is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishead View Post
The Peel Regional Aquarium Club will be hosting their annual auction Sunday, November 3, 2013.

Lots of rare and exciting fish available for a multi-item raffle
This 'Multi-item' Raffle will most likely be done as a Chinese Auction. The difference between a Raffle & a Chinese Auction is each prize has its own "jar". You buy as many tickets you want. Then put the tickets in the jar in front of the item you want.

At the 2013 SOKS(Southern Ontario Killifish Society) BBQ this past July we had a Chinese auction. A table was set up with some really rare Killifish pairs from our speaker out of Buffalo, NY, USA.

I've never seen this style of raffle in action before. So I bought a large strip of tickets. Watched others go ahead of me. I was learning & listening. I overheard some strategies on bidding. I went to my trusted source & got some advise from SwimmyD on how to bid successfully. I really wanted the pair of Fundulopanchax avichang GEML 00-16. So I put my tickets in a few of the jars & hoped for the best. When the tickets were all in the jars, they announce the raffle closed & proceeded to pick one ticket out of each jar. To my surprise... I won! Yaaaaaaaaaa! I won the pair I was after!

Here a photo of the 2013 SOKS Killifish BBQ Chinese Auction

I hear there are going to be some rare finds at the Multi-Item Raffles.

Looking forward to the PRAC Auction Day
Scotmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
george
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
george will become famous soon enough

Ill try to be there if babies permit.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
greg
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (38)
greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future

Looking forward to attending
greg is offline   Reply With Quote