GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Help us make GTAA better!

18K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Ciddian 
#1 ·
This forum's primary purpose is to provide a medium for all those interested in the aquaria hobby to interact, help, and advance themselves in the hobby.

To make this forum even better we encourage everyone to provide feedback about its progress and how it can improve.

If there is a software extension you want added or see a better way to facilitate the needs of the members, we want to know!

Look forward to hearing from you.

#2 ·
Hey when we hit the new post buttons can it just be what has been posted in order of what is new instead of what I haven't read yet? I personally like it when i hit that button and all the new stuff comes up in order of when it was last edited/posted too. Thanks. Should also think about colour schemes, possibly a light and dark.

#3 ·
Is it possible to include a feature that allows the author of a thread in the buy/sell section to bump their thread every 24hrs or 48hrs without having to post something in it??
Cheers!

#4 ·
The main prob I see with that...is when the authors no longer have the responsibility of monitoring their own threads and bumping themselves, they tend to forget about them. By the end what we are left with is just the forum flooded with these threads, disrupting the actual active threads and leaves a lot of work for the other members and mods to syphon through the threads.

plus, it doesnt hurt that much to bump the threads yourself once in a while.

#8 ·
new in town

hey! this place is very good, however I want to help making this forum the best so I want to recommend checking on drpez.com that has a lot of information but in spanish. May be some of the great masters here can translate some articles, specially from the DIY section (is huge). Thanks a lot. Damian

#9 ·
hey! this place is very good, however I want to help making this forum the best so I want to recommend checking on drpez.com that has a lot of information but in spanish. May be some of the great masters here can translate some articles, specially from the DIY section (is huge). Thanks a lot. Damian
My Spanish is negligible, but you can use Google Translate to read these articles. It can take a bit of imagination to figure out, though. For example, the title of the DIY section translated as 'Maintained Its Thyself'.

#13 ·
Argentina

I think that would be great, if you get the permission of the authors. Or perhaps they would like to have the translations on their site, and you could post links here.

I just noticed that you're in Argentina! And it's getting to be summer there...

Could you tell me about the climate there? I'm interested in the annual killifish -- I've got some Simpsonichthys eggs waiting to be hatched. Is the rainy season in the winter or in the summer? It's not clear to me which time of year the adults are alive, and what water temperatures they would expect.

Moderator: maybe this part of the thread should be moved to a different area? Fine with me.

#14 ·
Argentina is very big and has the characteristic of being longer than wider, causing the country to have a wide range of parallels. This causes to have all kinds of weather, from desert to tropical forest. We are in spring right now and at least were I live (200 miles from Buenos Aires) the weather changes suddenly (from 15º C to 32º C) the same day and the rainy season is according to the place we you are. Here is more in the winter, but we get enough storms and rain in summer too. At the NE rainy season is all year (near the amazonas), at the NW they hardly get a rainy season because is almost a desert, at S they get the rainy season on winter but is very cold near the mountains and near the sea is again all year. The most balanced is the center (where I live) that have a wide range of temperatures (from 0 ºC in winter and up to 40 ºC in summer).

Hope this answers your questions. Regarding killis we have some regional varieties here but I do not know that much about them.

#15 ·
awsome site

this site and all its info has been awsome to me thanks to everyone who has helped me thru my probs with my new hobby, would be kewl to have a live chat on this site , are there any other sites that are as good as this site that are local .
thanks
tom

#16 ·
Thanks, Damian. I believe the killifish live mostly in the NE.

I once read a book by the famous palaeontologist George Gaylord Simpson, describing his adventures collecting fossils in Patagonia in the 1930s. His impression was that the wind blows all the time there and drives everyone crazy. He certainly met a lot of eccentric characters, but not much different than in stories of remote regions of Canada!

There are a lot of Argentinians in Toronto, as well as many people from all over the world. There are stores near me where you can buy kilogram bags of mate', and it's not uncommon to see empanadas for sale, at least downtown here, which is more cosmopolitan than the suburbs.

#18 ·
I think the site is great as is :) Keep up the great work !

I have 2 suggestions, which would be extras.

a) The Cichlid category to be split by region, African, South-American (with Discus as a sub-group) and Other (West African such as kribs, etc). Kwas does this to good effect and is a nice touch.

b) individual user calendars (private) where we can track maintenance and random goings on (presence of eggs, fish loss, new fish, round of meds, new plant etc) in our tanks. A thing called 'our tanks' where one can keep track of the stock in the tank and water params which could be viewable over a timeline. It could tie in with the calendar. A few other sites out there have similar, it's very helpful, especially if like me, you lose track of stuff easily :)
As it would take some server resources you could limit the tanks to 3.

Just suggestions, and thx for asking for our feedback :)

#21 ·
How about more support for the mobile guys out there? Additions like Tapatalk make browsing on Android and iPhone devices a lot easier.

I think its a free add on for the forum owner.

#30 ·
If there is a software extension you want added or see a better way to facilitate the needs of the members, we want to know!

Look forward to hearing from you.
Is there a link somewhere for a decent little program to keep track of tank stats/water testing....etc that will provide me with graphs and pie charts? Or better yet an ap that is Iphone/Ipad compatable (yes, I'm an I-tard!). I've searched before and I'm yet to find something decent that is SIMPLE and doesn't cost a bazillion dollars.... any clues....anyone?!?!?!

#31 ·
Hey I was wondering if there was any sort of way or extension that could be added to the Buy/Sell/Trade forums where users can vote on the sale as a fair deal or not.

When I say vote, what I mean for example:

Maybe at the bottom of the initial post there's a bar that goes from Red to Green, and a plus or minus or something that you can select and it moves the scale to one side or another.

This way if there's a very good deal and lots of people have seen it, the scale will be all the way on the green side because everyone whose thinks its a good/fair deal can vote that way.

Meanwhile if it's an over priced or bad deal the slider will eventually go to the red as more and more people select the option that demonstrates their opinion.

#32 ·
Would the Rate Thread option work as well for this? I dont know if you can see it up there on the left hand side of the thread. It's basically a star system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.