GTA Aquarium Forums banner

My Starfire tank - 90 x 45 x 45

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  jessesparks 
#1 ·
So, under the encouragement of Default - I am going to post my first planned planted tank - Day 50.

I originally started the hobbie last year with a 20 gallon, then upgrade to a Starfire tank (90 x 45 x 45) under the bad influence of default and now my wallet is empty.. but no regrets :)

Set up:

Starfire 90x45x45
ADA soil
Co2 injected @ 3 bubbles per sec
GLA inline diffuser
Aqua clear 50
Hydor 240
Eheim pro4 600
Some Taiwanese branded 4 x T5HO fixture that I got from AI (might need upgrades) - they're all 6700K bulbs.
Defaults secret sauce for dosing

So far so good - I have come to term with GSA here and there that I usually just clean out during my weekly maintenance. I don't think I can keep a 100% Algae free tank but, the ones I have now on rocks and wood seems nice.

Plants:
F - Glossostigma / Dwarf Sag
M - Lobelia Cardinalis
M - Ferns (needle, and trident)
B - Limnophila sessiflora / hipporoides / Java ferns / Jungle Val (can't really see it)

Random mosses

- Fissidens Fontanus
- Spiky Moss
- Flame Moss

Looks kinda messy right now, it's due for a trim this weekend - will be moving the Repens to the back and hippuroides to the front (switching them as you can't even see the hippuroides right now)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
They're the AP brand fixture (some Taiwanese one I picked up from Aquatic Inspiration, it was on sale so it was about 100 bucks)

it's 4 x 39 w T5H0 bulb, right now it's stock bulbs at 6700K - based on the wattage its about 3.5 wpg but that doesn't really mean much in big tanks... and i don't have a par meter to tell you if it's actually high light or not, but if i were to guess, it's probably med to high light since all the other stuff took off.

I am thinking of replacing two of the bulbs with Giesemann Super Flora to bring out more reds in my tank.

I think glosso requires a both - light to make it carpet, otherwise it will grow tall.

my carpeting took about 30 days or so... here's a picture of day 1.

Attachments

#17 ·
A new look for 2018. Hand got itchy over the break and finally pulled the trigger to do the rescape - no more jungle look.

Still a little hazy - hopefully the water clears up soon.

Going for slower growing plants for less maintanece

- Ferns (needle / trident)
- Fissidens
- Buces (got like 5-6 different kinds)
- AR mini
- Lud. Super mini red
- Blyxa
- Jungle Val
- Anubias

Attachments

#21 ·
tank

looks amazing nice job , miss my planted tank ....

#22 · (Edited)
More updates!

After a long battle on LED vs t5HO, I have decided, under Default's bad influence (jk!), I went all out on 2 x Kessil A160 Tuna Sun for my 90P tank.

Note - no regrets, except the wallet is a little thin now.

Loving the color / shimmer of it, and some reason, the tank look so much sharper!!

Here's some pictures updated - I started to grow buce and it's finally filling in nicely after 6 months.

Attachments

#24 ·
Sooooo... the noob phase is over (hopefully) - randomly hacking things together for a year and a half is done!

Finally took the time to clean the tank, and hull everything out and re-scaped.

Going for a nice clean low maintenance tank..

Here's what it looks like now!

No more Stem plants
No more Fast growers

What's in the tank

- Buce (7-8 different sp.)
- Anubias (few different sp.)
- some Fissiden Moss
- Java Ferns (Trident, needle, Windelov

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.