GTA Aquarium Forums banner

My discus are breeding!!!!!!

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  JAM 
#1 ·
wow, i just looked in my tank and noticed my new large red tourquoise laying eggs on a piece of driftwood!!! and my red melon male fertilizing them.... i'm pretty shocked that they paired off so soon and actually are laying the eggs.

I'm going to have to look into what it will take to raise these guys! although by the time the morning comes around the eggs will probably be eaten.

pretty amazing stuff!

#13 ·
ERgh... sorry about taht Holo.. better luck next time..
in crowded tanks you can also sometimes make a protection mesh to cover up the area from other fish.. seeing that the rock/wood you ahve there is the only strcutre that protrudes out like a breeding cone and screams breed on me... i would make a mesh now for future use.. or at least get some meshing.. unless you plan on moving them

#15 ·
In order to successfully breed Discus, they need to be in their own bare bottom tank. A 20 gallon is okay. Make sure the ph is no higher than 7 or the eggs will not get fertilized. It may take several tries for them to get it right so don't be discouraged if the eggs/fry get eaten.

#20 ·
Hey Holocron congrats on the news. Looks like they are doing there job then. I would recommend you to separate them and interms of water quality using tap is not that great. Also you do not need to use PVC tubes. You can go to any gardening store and purchase a clay pot. The clay pot is great for them to lay eggs on. Also don't forget the brine shrimp

#22 ·
holocron said:
wow, really eh? it's gotta be lower than 7? I have heard of local breeders being successful in tap water (ph is well over 7).
Yes some locals have beem sucessful but, you won't get alot compared to using R/O water. It takes alot of energy for them to lay and take care of there fries so its better off to do it and get alot so you don't waste time and the fishes energy.

#25 ·
A lot of breeders have no problem doing it in tap water and most don't use R/O as they find that when they sell their fry to people using tap water, it is better sicne they don't need to mix in R/O with it.

ALso, if you do decide to go R/O, you can buy the unit or just buy the cheap R/O water... lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.