Metricide 14 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (77)
conix67 is a name known to all
Default Metricide 14

Where do people find Metricide 14 in north GTA area (Vaughan) these days? The best source I found is a US vendor through EBay. I thought there would be better source in Canada either direct pick up or online.

Found some sources but either the shipping is too high or require membership registration which requires business in medical/dental industry.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (108)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold

I believe you can find this stuff through barber/salon supply shops and online vendors that don't require a business license.

Do you know if this stuff expires? I have a few bottles unopened that a a couple years old now. If it doesn't, I can always pour you some.
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
conix67
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by default View Post
I believe you can find this stuff through barber/salon supply shops and online vendors that don't require a business license.

Do you know if this stuff expires? I have a few bottles unopened that a a couple years old now. If it doesn't, I can always pour you some.
Thanks. I wasn't able to find an online vendor with a reasonable shipping charge so ended up ordering a bottle from Ebay, still waiting for the delivery.

The bottle is supposed to have an expiration date stamped on it, I don't know if Seachem Excel does. However, for aquarium use it might still be applicable past the expiration date.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
Thanks. I wasn't able to find an online vendor with a reasonable shipping charge so ended up ordering a bottle from Ebay, still waiting for the delivery.

The bottle is supposed to have an expiration date stamped on it, I don't know if Seachem Excel does. However, for aquarium use it might still be applicable past the expiration date.
Did some research and apparently for our purpose, the expiration date is not relevant and the product should last a few years. Apparently even years later after opening, algaecide properties were still present.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Just a heads up...

This was an interesting read: https://www.sunkengardens.net/blog/2...aldehyde-az2w7

And this part in particular stood out to me:

"Saying that glutaraldehyde is just like Excel is really like saying a solution of 20 of the known amino acids is just like insulin. Insulin is a cross-linked protein chain consisting of amino acids and no way will you get the same effect with a bunch of amino acids in solution."

The GTA Aquarium Club meets every third Tuesday of the month. Ask me for details or check out the official FB page and events listings.

infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
conix67
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post
Just a heads up...

This was an interesting read: https://www.sunkengardens.net/blog/2...aldehyde-az2w7

And this part in particular stood out to me:

"Saying that glutaraldehyde is just like Excel is really like saying a solution of 20 of the known amino acids is just like insulin. Insulin is a cross-linked protein chain consisting of amino acids and no way will you get the same effect with a bunch of amino acids in solution."
Thanks for the interesting article. I don't know what his motives are and how does he know so much more about Excel than rest of us begs a question, as the exact composition of Excel is covered under trade secret and not public.

However, somehow some people figured out the main ingredient of Excel is the chemical called glutaraldehyde and its exact percentage in Excel which I believe is accurate.

Unlike the "Amino Acids" which is a group of Proteins which includes variety of chemical structure, glutaraldehyde is a chemical that does not exist in other forms, so I do believe it is accurate that Excel's main component is the glutaraldehyde. What other elements are included in Excel, I have no idea.

Also, from the safety perspective, SDS for both products show they are similarly dangerous if not handled properly.

So, based on the findings I concluded that Metricide 14 wouldn't be any more harmful to humans or my planted fish tank than Excel if used in the same dosage/concentration.

As for the effect of Excel to the planted tank, the effect is real and positive. It's definitely not a replacement of real CO2 injection, but the plants that struggled before are doing better since the regular dosing of Excel.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
Thanks for the interesting article. I don't know what his motives are and how does he know so much more about Excel than rest of us begs a question, as the exact composition of Excel is covered under trade secret and not public.

However, somehow some people figured out the main ingredient of Excel is the chemical called glutaraldehyde and its exact percentage in Excel which I believe is accurate.

Unlike the "Amino Acids" which is a group of Proteins which includes variety of chemical structure, glutaraldehyde is a chemical that does not exist in other forms, so I do believe it is accurate that Excel's main component is the glutaraldehyde. What other elements are included in Excel, I have no idea.

Also, from the safety perspective, SDS for both products show they are similarly dangerous if not handled properly.

So, based on the findings I concluded that Metricide 14 wouldn't be any more harmful to humans or my planted fish tank than Excel if used in the same dosage/concentration.

As for the effect of Excel to the planted tank, the effect is real and positive. It's definitely not a replacement of real CO2 injection, but the plants that struggled before are doing better since the regular dosing of Excel.
I agree, there are also lots of reports and even folks with extensive knowledge on this matter on Barr Reports that have confirmed the use of Glutaraldehyde and even the approximate % in Excel.
However, I find it's a fairly odd and risky co2 supplement as some plants will either react well or just terribly, even outside of the normal species like Vals and Mosses. I do find that the main and most ideal property of Excel or glut is the algaecide properties, great for dealing with BBA, staghorn, and for cleaning co2 diffusers during maintenance.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
brycon

Feedback Score: (1)
brycon is on a distinguished road

I tried to order some Metricide 14 recently and the vendor said that due to COVID-19, it was not being produced and suggested Metricide 28 instead. Since Metricide 28 has surfactants and I never tried it before, I declined.

I read that article by Karen Randall when she first published it back in 2017. I think she is most likely sponsored by Seachem so she has to promote their product. I'm about to open my last 4L bottle so I could taper off from Metricide and see what happens.

https://e-lss.jp/seachem/flourite.php
https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/tag.html
brycon is offline   Reply With Quote