Setting up an SPS Tank - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > General Marine Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Marine Discussion All things Salt.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Whatever is on a distinguished road

That Goby will have to be trapped, has anyone had any luck trapping fish? Any DIY traps out there, I dont want to get rid of it as it is a very attractive fish, I just cant have him in my 125, I want to put Corals on the sand bed,
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

You can use an AC300 for media but using GFO will not be ideal due to the particle size and shape. SeaChem PhosGuard is better suited for non fluidized situations due to the uniform spherical shape. The great thing is that PG will turn beige when exhausted

With a square base aquarium it doesn't really matter but I would be prepared to change the orientation if the pendant doesn't give the light cast desired.

As far as hanging height, usually around 8". Make sure you can adjust the height as well to get the PAR and light cast desired.

Personally I would paint the bottom so that no light gets to the sump...one less and a PITA place to clean for unwanted algae

As for catching the goby, cut the top of a 1L pop bottle and insert the top in an inverted fashion. You will have to cut the cap opening bigger. Glue the 2 pieces together, drill a few 1/4" holes, tie a string to it and bait it with some pellets. From there, its a waiting game like fishing off a dock
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #13
Whatever
Up-and-comer

I like the idea of painting the bottom as well, I've got some black Acrylic semi gloss paint, do you think that would be ok, I do plan on having the height of the Pendant adjustable and yes I think I know what you mean about the trap good luck to me, 8 inches off the water should be easy enough. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Painting the tank is no easy feat, I put one coat on, what a mess. I wiped it off so I'm going to do what I always do, buy some black bristle board and tape it to the back and the bottom.

I did paint the stand and after 2 coats it'll have to be done again. I'll get another pic up.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #15
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Hey, hey
I'm going to give the stand a full
2 days to dry before I do the final coat, it's a bit cold in the basement,
I ordered a couple of things from Amazon 2 days ago and my 12 outlet power bar arrived today, that's great shipping, and also been watching youtube for ideas.
Anybody into Melevs Reef, I like it that guy, he seems to have a ton of information, check him out.
What do you think of Phosphate RX?

I've been using 2xPhosbon Reactors running GFO 24/7 for months and months to get my phosphate level down, it's funny, sure I dint have any Algae problems but my Coral growth us not what it should be,
I ordered Phosphate Rx ,I learned all about Rx from Mark from Melevs Reef and I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Stay tuned, love to see pics of barebottom tanks
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
cica
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (38)
cica is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Hey, hey
What do you think of Phosphate RX?

I've been using 2xPhosbon Reactors running GFO 24/7 for months and months to get my phosphate level down, it's funny, sure I dint have any Algae problems but my Coral growth us not what it should be,
I ordered Phosphate Rx ,I learned all about Rx from Mark from Melevs Reef and I'm going to try it tomorrow.
Phosphate RX (Lanthanum Chloride) works well on phosphates. But be very careful, don't just drop it in the tank. You should use a reactor (like a calcium reactor) and filter the water that's going back to the tank. When LaCl3 binds with the phosphates it becomes a very sticky white powder. If you let it in the tank it will stick to the glass, rock, sand and even to the gills of the fish. The skimmer alone will not take it out efficiently.
I used a 1 micron sediment filter for RODI to filter it.
Hope it helps.

Joe
Old 05-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #17
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Yes it does help thank you, I haven't used it yet, what about a 200 micron bag will that be ok? That's all I have or can I buy a 10 micron bag at Big Al's? Thanks, I knew I needed some sort of filter and in the process of waiting I misplaced my bottle of Phos, RX go figure eh Lol
Old 05-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #18
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Back to basics
My Mh arrived in the mail today, A SE 250 watt PFO Pendant and Ballast with a 20 k Ushio bulb.

This is what we used when I started in the hobby akk thise years ago and I am so excited about this one, 75 bucks delivered, I think more peeps will be going back old school, intact I bet lots of Aquarist are still using MH

I'm gonna look for a Calcium Reactor down the road, a lot easier than dosing, taking it easy while I wait for some other things to arrive in the mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200525_151459_1590434570942.jpg (55.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_151431_1590434595187.jpg (59.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #19
cica
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (38)
cica is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Yes it does help thank you, I haven't used it yet, what about a 200 micron bag will that be ok? That's all I have or can I buy a 10 micron bag at Big Al's? Thanks, I knew I needed some sort of filter and in the process of waiting I misplaced my bottle of Phos, RX go figure eh Lol
I don't think the 200 micron bag will filter out anything from that white stuff at all.
I was told by an expert here (Thank you wtac) to use 1 micron filter. I was told that the 10 micron is not fine enough.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #20
Whatever
Up-and-comer

Yes I was told that the 10 micron would be good enough, 1 micron? Where am I going to get that? Just when I found the Phos Rx, I guess I'll have to hold off with it until I get the proper filter sock, thanks again.