Betta Food Advice Pls! - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
betta_o

Feedback Score: (0)
betta_o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarmadibetta View Post
What brand of "frozen bloodworms" do you use?? I have this "big als" brand frozen bloodworms, but i haven't use it (still a bit skeptical toward frozen food).
Its called something "san francisco bay" brand. Its in cubes that you can pop out like gum.....it seems to be more frozen juices than worms tho! lol....I'm also skeptical towards frozen food...but apparently its better than "freeze fried" cuz that process seems to even zap more nutrients out?
betta_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
betta_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasandbeads View Post
There is a large selection of so called Betta food out there.
The reason I call it so called Betta food is because those who make it must never have had a betta.
Most of the pellets out there are too big for a Betta, Bettas mouths are usually small ( unless you grow them like I do) Most Bettas do not take to flakes either.
I highly recommend Atisons Betta pro and if you have betta fry or a very small betta, Atisons fry starter.
It is hard to come by in Ontario. Unless you order it from Betta Breeders Canada.
Betta Breeders Canada is a Canadian Betta club who is affiliated with the IBC ( International Betta Congress)
If you are interested in getting some Atisons check out our web site
www.bettabreederscanada.com You don't have to be a member to buy from us but if you are you will recieve a 10% discount on supplies.
If you live in the area, you may be able to save on shipping. At present I am both President and shop keeper and I am in Hamilton. We may be able to meet up some place mid way.
I personaly have over 30 betta tanks. I have feed my Bettas Atison Betta pro for years. If you have been at any of the local clubs shows, you will have seen them. A lot of people call me the Betta Lady.
As a treat I feed my guys, white worms, black worms and adult Brime shrimp but only a few each and only occationally. Worms can be very fattening.
Some of my guys are real piglets. You have to be careful you don't over feed Bettas. They will eat until they can't eat anymore. If over feed they can become constipated which can then become another problem.
A large container (75gm) of Atisons is $9.95 and the fry starter is $5.95 if my memory is right. The large container should last you a year if you only have a few Bettas. You only need to feed each betta a few (4-5) pellets twice a day.
Hope this information helps.
Catherine
Thanks Catherine
I actually have friends and family in hamilton (since i grew up there) so i don't consider it far at all.
Since i just bought some food, ii'll def try to get my hand on Atison's, if not from you then from menagerie-everyone keeps talking about this place....i need to check it out!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
BillD
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
BillD is a splendid one to behold BillD is a splendid one to behold

It has been my experience with blood worms that the freezing causes a lot of them to burst. the liquid is a mix of water and blood worm internals. It is a far cry from live blood worm, both in colour and appearance. Freeze dried food is not supposed to lose any of it's nutrient value, even over time, hence it's popularity with back packers. My experience with bettas is limited, but they are the most glutinous fish I have ever kept. If you feed them live daphnia, they won't stop until every one is eaten, passing impossibly large stools. Most other fish will stop when they are stuffed.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
betta_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
It has been my experience with blood worms that the freezing causes a lot of them to burst. the liquid is a mix of water and blood worm internals. It is a far cry from live blood worm, both in colour and appearance. Freeze dried food is not supposed to lose any of it's nutrient value, even over time, hence it's popularity with back packers. My experience with bettas is limited, but they are the most glutinous fish I have ever kept. If you feed them live daphnia, they won't stop until every one is eaten, passing impossibly large stools. Most other fish will stop when they are stuffed.
Yes, i did notice that its mostly just juices....and the occasional full worm. I'm really confused as to what i should be feeding my betta now
I think i will just continue alternating between the pellets soaked in garlic water and worms? The freeze dried stuff ive only seen in large quantities....maybe once i have more fish it would be worth it for me to buy also freeze dried? either way my betta doesnt care what it eats, lol. Very gluttonous for sure!

Tags
betta , bloodworms , food