Any way to keep food out of the filter? - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
TorontoBoy

Feedback Score: (0)
TorontoBoy is on a distinguished road

I also really like sponge prefilters, as they reduce maintenance of your filter's sponge and excess food gets stuck and then eaten.

My method to cut a hole is to saturate the sponge in water and freeze it. Then use a drill bit to hollow out the hold. Cutting with scissors was uneven for me. The freezer method takes more time but the result is better.
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Riceburner
Want a pic?

Feedback Score: (44)
Riceburner is just really nice

freezing and drilling is a great idea.

+1 on the prefilter and shutting off just after feeding for a few minutes.
Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
tijuanatoad

Feedback Score: (6)
tijuanatoad is a jewel in the rough

You answered your own question. Pellets are a lot cleaner than flakes. You can try New Life Spectrum or Northfin. NLS tends to float longer and Northfin tends to sink after 2-5 seconds. Free samples of Northfin can be ordered from Angelfins and it's Canadian. You will need to feed a certain pellet size depending on the size of your fish. Don't feed your fish for 1-2 days and introduce the pelleted food.
Also, don't overfeed flake or pellet food, we all do it.
tijuanatoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
I also really like sponge prefilters, as they reduce maintenance of your filter's sponge and excess food gets stuck and then eaten.

My method to cut a hole is to saturate the sponge in water and freeze it. Then use a drill bit to hollow out the hold. Cutting with scissors was uneven for me. The freezer method takes more time but the result is better.
Awesome idea!
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
monk21
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (-1)
monk21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMS_1975 View Post
This has probably already been asked, but a search for "food+tank+clean" didn't yield any results that answered my question.

I noticed that whenever I feed my fish, there are flakes flying throughout the tank and a good portion is getting sucked into the filtration system. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Maybe a more solid food, like pellets? One of those little white cones (I think they use them for tubifex worms)?

Anybody?
If you feed only as much as you need then you will never have problems. I NEVER have food in my filters and I never turn them off. Since I do that for a living too, I feed hundreds of fish every day and from my experience, fish should eat their food in SECONDS. Yes seconds. So, I would only suggest feed as far away from the filter as possible and ONLY what your fish can eat in seconds.
monk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Kimchi24
Heavy Metal Aquarist

Feedback Score: (36)
Kimchi24 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk21 View Post
If you feed only as much as you need then you will never have problems. I NEVER have food in my filters and I never turn them off. Since I do that for a living too, I feed hundreds of fish every day and from my experience, fish should eat their food in SECONDS. Yes seconds. So, I would only suggest feed as far away from the filter as possible and ONLY what your fish can eat in seconds.
I turn off my filter but I also do this method. Feeding takes a while for me because I add a little and wait for my fish to finish before I add more. I do this for a total of 5 minutes unless they seem really hungry. I'll go maximum 7-8 mins. I learned this from my experiences with betas. They take forever to eat because they lunge at their food and take in a little at a time
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Jung

Feedback Score: (17)
Jung is on a distinguished road

$15 for brand name sponges

just go on ebay and do a search for aquarium sponge filter and you'll get tonnes of sponges. Here is what I use as prefilters for all my filters (eheim/fluval canisters and aquaclear/aqueon hang on back filters)

They go for around $2 shipped, the whole thing breaks down into pieces and to fit them onto various filters, you just need rubber hose pieces and hot water
Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
mistersprinkles
Banned

Feedback Score: (4)
mistersprinkles is on a distinguished road

Just take some reticulated foam (ie, aquaclear sponge. They also sell it in blue and black at BA's) and cut a little square of it, cut a slit in it and slide it over your filter intake.

Any prefilter will reduce the flow-rate of your filter. Keep that in mind.
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean , filter , filtration , food , tank