Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus.ramirezi) Log - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Cichlids Discus, angelfish, oscars, lake, african/american, etc.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
cb1021
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (23)
cb1021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whattttttt. Flicking awesome.
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Erratic-Fish-Finatic
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
Erratic-Fish-Finatic is on a distinguished road

Checked up on the pair and their fry earlier this morning, while I was feeding them, and things are progressing quite well. The cluster hasn't decreased in size, so I guess the parents (primarily the mom) hasn't been snacking on their babies. The parents really seem to be getting good at caring for their fry, surprised and happy that it took them only 2 attempts (fingers crossed that they continue getting better)

The wigglers are becoming more active, startling to roll and bounce a little. 3 more days until they start free swimming, or so I hope.

As always, I keep everyone posted
Erratic-Fish-Finatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Erratic-Fish-Finatic
Devoted Member

Another morning update: The fry are starting to jump/wiggle around a lot more, and the parents have relocated them to a larger/wider pit they dug. The pit also happens to be directly under my java fern, which is now uprooted. Guess the roots will help serve as shelter and security.

Will update everyone again tomorrow morning

Last edited by Erratic-Fish-Finatic; 08-06-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
skylane

skylane is on a distinguished road

Next time pull the eggs and artificially hatching, with MBlue. Good luck next time nice Rams BTW!

Clem
skylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
Erratic-Fish-Finatic
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane View Post
Next time pull the eggs and artificially hatching, with MBlue. Good luck next time nice Rams BTW!

Clem
Thanks Clem.

Maybe I'll try artificially hatching with their next batch. Right now I want my pair to gain experience raising the fry themselves, and so for so good. It's been quite interesting watching the pair go through the rearing process: courting, digging pits,spawning, taking turns guarding and fanning, and corralling and transferring the fry together.
I also thought it was cool how my female gathered food to feed my male, when he didn't want to leave the nest.
The fry should be free swimming in 1-2 more days.

Will keep everyone posted

Last edited by Erratic-Fish-Finatic; 08-06-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
skylane

Rams are really bad parents, but the odd pair can remember how to parent raise , but they are all captive , tank raised and you are lucky indeed to get them to parent raise.
I have some nice Rams from Mike's at Finnatics about two months now and they have spawned, but water parameters not rite at the time for fertilization of the eggs, not an easy fish to breed. Now my Rams have stalled since putting them in a new of their own. I have talked to breeders on the subject, but I think you got lucky when you bought them from different stores, I live not to far from either.
Pm me if you would like to chat or meet up, we can share experiences!😉

Clem
Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #17
Erratic-Fish-Finatic
Devoted Member

Quote:
Rams are really bad parents, but the odd pair can remember how to parent raise , but they are all captive , tank raised and you are lucky indeed to get them to parent raise.
I have some nice Rams from Mike's at Finnatics about two months now and they have spawned, but water parameters not rite at the time for fertilization of the eggs, not an easy fish to breed. Now my Rams have stalled since putting them in a new of their own. I have talked to breeders on the subject, but I think you got lucky when you bought them from different stores, I live not to far from either.
Pm me if you would like to chat or meet up, we can share experiences!��

Clem
I was actually planning to grab some pairs from Mike at Finatics, but my pair spawned so I held off. Currently cycling some new tanks. Planning to to get some quality ram pairs shipped up from the States later this month-September, but maybe I'll stop by Finatics first to see what Mike has (always has awesome cichlids/fish and deals ). Interested in getting some wilds in the future too.

Last edited by Erratic-Fish-Finatic; 08-06-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #18
skylane

Sounds good, I was at Finnatics earlier today but had to leave to pick up someone, but I may go back tomorrow if I have time.
Wilds would be cool, but water parameters for them are different, since most Rams sold are tap raised, but if you buy wilds the seller has to prepare them for shipment if they are from South America, good luck to you.

Clem
Old 08-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
Erratic-Fish-Finatic
Devoted Member

3 fry have reached the free swimming stage. Watched the parents corral them back to the nest, when the fry would wander out

Last edited by Erratic-Fish-Finatic; 08-07-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Old 08-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
cb1021
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (23)
cb1021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sounds good, I was at Finnatics earlier today but had to leave to pick up someone, but I may go back tomorrow if I have time.
Wilds would be cool, but water parameters for them are different, since most Rams sold are tap raised, but if you buy wilds the seller has to prepare them for shipment if they are from South America, good luck to you.

Clem
Sky you say wilds at finatics? Did you see captive bred there too?
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ram cichlid , breeding , german blue ram , mikrogeophagus.ramirezi