GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Returning Hobbyist

953 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ksimdjembe 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been almost 5 years since I've left the hobby. Long story short, after I got married, I moved out of my parents house and started a family. Now with 4 kids (yes... 4 kids in 4 years ), I've decided to slowly venture back into the hobby. I was a bit hesitant at first because of obvious reasons (mainly lack of time) but the kids were excited when I asked them if they wanted a "fish tank". Of course, this will be a fun little project for me as well.

I used to have a 125G, 90G, 40G breeder, 20L, 20R and two 10G (for fry). Clearly, I had MTS... Needless to say, I've kept a large variety of freshwater fish but at the end, I enjoyed mainly keeping cichlids (mbuna, tangs, malawis). I slowly sold most of my tanks and equipment but ended up initially keeping my 125G, 90G and 20L as I knew I would eventually get back into the hobby. It ended up taking up too much room at my parents and collecting dust so when family friends asked if they could take the tanks (90G and 125G), I gave them away for free. The only tank I didn't get rid of was the 20L.

I've never kept smaller cichlids (such as shell dwellers) and thought it would be a good idea. However, I would like some ideas on the stocking. These are the following species I'm interested in: Gold Ocellatus, Lamp Caudopunctatus, Alto Comps (Goldheds or another comp species), Lamp Tretocephalus, Brevis, Mutlis. I've kept Calvus' in the past and loved them so I think Alto Comps or Calvus would be nice but I worry the tank might be too small. Ideally, I would like to keep at least two different species but i figure that might be difficult given the tank size. On top of the above cichlids, I really like keeping petricolas so I'm hoping I can add at least 2 or 3 petricolas to whichever of the above cichlid combinations.

In terms of equipment, I plan on running an Eheim 2213. I ran this in the past and it was the perfect amount of flow. There's a broken piece (see picture) but I'm hoping I can just shove a tube in there and instead of using the tightener, just use a zip tie to secure it. Do you think this would be safe? I also have an Eheim 2215 but when I ran it on the 20L, it was too much power.

In addition, i have an inline heater. I've used it in the past with no issues but I've heard it can create a huge mess when it does fail. Any input or advice on this? I always wondered whether the inline heater caused my Eheim 2213 plastic to snap...

I'll be placing the tank in a nook in the basement in between two ikea stuva units. See attached picture. Don't worry, I won't be placing it on the Stuva bench. I have a solid DYI stand that I built in the past (i'm just refinishing it). There's also a small window above (not a lot of light comes through though). Do you forsee any issues with the placement?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I dont think placement should be any issue at all. It already looks nice.

Go with the 2213 instead it the 2215. Its plenty flow for a 20L

I wish I could give you stocking tips but I know nothing of cichlids.

Welcome back to the hobby, I'm sure your kids will love it

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.