10 Gallon Starfire Shrimp tank - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Invertebrates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Invertebrates Who you calling a shrimp!?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (114)
jimmyjam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to jimmyjam
Cool "Wired" 10 Gallon Starfire Shrimpscape

Hey guys its been a while since I started a tank. After checking out Tommy's setup at Shrimpfever, I got the itch again. So I went over the AI and picked me up a 40x30x30cm tank. I picked up the driftwood from big als for 17 bucks.. a total steal, and some ADA from Shrimpfever.com

I am framing a LED light fixture that I got previously I will decide if I will keep that light or buy some 6x3w fixture off ebay, once its done.. meaning if I f'up then Ill toss it and buy one online. In the meanwhile, I will use my 2x25 watt spiral daylight bulbs with a old exoterra fixture on it.

I am looking to keep Blue bolts in there, so I am also going to invest in a R/O unit. Any advice from those who have bred and kept Blue bolts in the past? What kind of water parameters did you keep.

Here is the hardscape, and I also suck some pics of my apisto from my 75 gallon in the clinic, and 47 gallon aquascape in there too =P

IMG_1047.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

Last edited by jimmyjam; 12-28-2013 at 07:40 PM..
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
FlyingHellFish
Wanted: UG & Monte Carlo

Feedback Score: (6)
FlyingHellFish is on a distinguished road

Looking good, how was the ADA AquaSoil?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

looks legit, but havent tested it yet, Ill get back to you on that. I have bought fake aquasoil before wihtout knowing, and have noticed a big difference. So I will see, but Im pretty sure this is the real stuff.

Last edited by jimmyjam; 12-19-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Shrimp Daddy

Feedback Score: (0)
Shrimp Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
looks legit, but havent tested it yet, Ill get back to you on that. I have bought fake aquasoil before, and have noticed a big difference. So I will see, but Im pretty sure this is the real stuff.
Why did you buy the fake stuff? Sometimes trying to save a few bucks does more harm than good. Stick with the legitimate stuff.
Shrimp Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Jaysan
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (104)
Jaysan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp Daddy View Post
Why did you buy the fake stuff? Sometimes trying to save a few bucks does more harm than good. Stick with the legitimate stuff.
I don't think he knowingly bought the fake stuff. Awhile back, some of the aquasoils didnt buffer ph. (fake ones)
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp Daddy View Post
Why would anyone buy fake Aquasoil lol? Def got ripped off there, I wont name names, but they are a local dealer, which I had all the confidence in.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Hey Jay how is your shrimp tank going? What is the water specs? Im debating on a RO system right now, I figure I can convince the wife that would be good drinking water, but to commit to a RO for a 10 gallon is a bit much I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
I don't think he knowingly bought the fake stuff. Awhile back, some of the aquasoils didnt buffer ph. (fake ones)
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

just finished scapeing the tank, the water is a bit murkey, so Ill post a pic tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Finally setup the tank, and scaped it. 3 days in, ammonia spike at 4. I did a 40% water change, and now sitting back for it to clear up.
I am also doing a DIY LED setup. There are 12x 1 or 1.5 watt LED's ..Its been used for about 18 months, so its not as strong as before, hope its not too much light.
Right now, I have 2x25 watt spiral compact florescent on there, but its a bit dim for my likeing.. I guess Im still a aquascaper at heart.

Flora: Cryp Parva, glosso, fissidans, peacock moss, belems dwarf hair grass and bolbitis

fauna: so far 5 trumpet snails.. love those guys

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics, I will have nice dslr shots when the tank is all settled.

The last pic is a frozen pigeon... RIP mr pigeon
IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1111.JPG

Last edited by jimmyjam; 12-22-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Just finished making my LED light. I looks awesome, and the lights are nice and bright. I think the kalvins is only 5000, so not in the best spectrum, but the whole setup cost me only 7 bucks; I cant complain. The Glosso is already growing nicely, sending multiple runners. The Belems dhg is taking its time though, I guess its because light is being blocked by the driftwood. Enjoy. In my main 75 gallon, I also picked up some awesome checker board dwarf cichlidIMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg from Johnny at gold ocean aquarium at leslie and 7, that guy has the biggest collection of apistos and other dwarf cichlids, he also picked up some wild apies, and peruvian spotted angles!

Tags
aquascape , blue bolt , form & function