GTA Aquarium Forums banner

What are the easiest live foods to start AND keep going

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  nature 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering what people would recommend based on experience as the easiest live foods to start and keep going?

I've researched brine shrimp. Hatching them does not seem too complicated. Growing them on also seems feasible, but it's a fair deal more work and though my larger fish would probably enjoy chasing them I am not sure it is worth the work. I am wondering about other things though. There seem to be quite a few options in terms of types of food. I am particularly interested in foods that might work for small-mouthed fish and fry.

In addition to my three bettas (one each in a 5, 10 and 15 gallon tank) I also have:

3 gardneri killis in a five gallon

7 (soon to be more ... haven't decided how many) sparrow rasboras in a ten gallon

and

14 ember tetras in a 29 gallon

I have no interest in breeding the bettas. However I am thinking given that I have each type of fish in its own tank I might optimise conditions for breeding and see if by chance it happens. However this requires live food. Besides brine shrimp, what have people found to be fairly easy ...

See less See more
#2 ·
Microworms, grindal worms, daphnia. The worms are much easier in my opinion then brine shrimp or daphnia, daphnia is easier then brine IMO because they don't require salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.