Hydra? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
nature

Feedback Score: (0)
nature has a spectacular aura about
Default Hydra?

Little hairy things are starting to grow on some of my leaves, particularly on the leaf margins. It's the same tank I have had a black brush algae issue in but at this point these look different, not tufted or black, but that may change over time. Just tiny fibres; some single, some multiples. If they have a colour I would say it's pinkish.

They don't seem to look like the pictures of hydra I have seen online either -- not a stalk with arms; though from what I have read they are the right size. They are not moving.

They are really tiny so have not had success in photographing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Anything from here match? Perhaps staghorn?

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
nature

Feedback Score: (0)
nature has a spectacular aura about

Oh wow, that's really helpful. I've been to several of those pages but that's the best so far.

I think it may be early Staghorn or early Oedogonium. It does seem to have a pinkish tinge to it (whereas the black brush algae is clearly tufted and black from when it is only a few millimetres in size). I just noticed that in one photo the staghorn looks pink. Bingo!

I will continue with the excel religiously, and overdose after every water change. That seems to be helping with the Brush Algae. I may try direct hydrogen peroxide but want to get my Kubotais out before I do.

Very wary of adding nutrients with the light levels that I have. Tried once adding a fert to the water (Nutrafin plant gro - micronutrients plus low nitrogen) in another tank and some kind of green algae took over most of the tank in under a week. Luckily there was no substrate -- it's my nursery tank and plants were in pots so I could deal with each plant easily -- but I lost a nice big clump of XMas moss.

The plants in the tank with the Staghorn are in New Amazonia and the tank is just under six months old so I have a hard time believing that low nutrients are an issue given that it is a low-tech tank. Less light and more CO2 are the route I am going to try.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited by nature; 08-10-2016 at 05:54 PM..
nature is offline   Reply With Quote