120x55x50 Cm "The end of the rainbow " - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Planted Tank Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Planted Tank Photos Let's see what you got! Show off your tanks here. Tank journals are encouraged!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
Did the muriatic was as suggested my Harry , Here is a before pic

After...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the stones look better. They should contrast much better with the plants. I never heard of this technique until I saw Harry's post. I wonder what dragon stone would look like after an acid bath.
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #22
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (114)
jimmyjam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to jimmyjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishy View Post
What's aga? iaplc? some kind of contest? website? magazine? I am a little bit lost with the terms.

Hey it's good to see your still in the game big fishy . Those contests are the top international aquascaping contests in the world . I think shooting for the stars will at least land me on the moon .... hopefully

jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #23
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Here is what I have so far for the hardscape . I plan to have two paths with different diameters leading to a trail to he back of the tank . I think I have created decent depth perception with the hardscape but I think a great deal will have to be fine tuned as the plants grow in . I plan to have hc at some of the slopes where you can see the ground near the back , then more glosso or marailea as I move forward in the scape to show Depth . I also plan on using pearl weed and rotala rotundafolia and some sp green to do the same contrast in depth. Aside from that I think I will go with a lot of rare and common moss, rare bolbitis , buce, rare Anubias for the scape .

I'm about to do a quick soak of the tank to make sure 1). It doesn't leak ,2). The substrate will hold its form . Then I will drain elevate the back a bit more , sit on it for a day or two , get some comments by you guys on the hardscape. I will start planting in a few days and add my sand path and random smaller rocks last.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #24
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Jimmy that looks fantastic. How many bags of ada soil did you use?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #25
Poseidon
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
Poseidon is on a distinguished road

Seeing as I have little experience in the hardscaping with rocks scene, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I like it, but my first reaction was that the right side is a bit too busy with rock. Maybe take one of the foreground rocks out, or move it?
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #26
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

thanks planter... the setup took a beating once water was added. I used a great deal of river rocks to create the elevation in the back, so once the water was added, the ADA sunk into the cracks and I lost a bit of height. But fear not my friends, it has only diminished some of the height in the back and a few of the stones fell over , which I can make back with a bit more ADA and adjustment and additions of lava rock supports. I used a total of 5 bags of ADA for a 87 gallon tank,... not too bad overall. I hope to have the tank planted very soon.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Jimmy what did you do to get that height? Stack rocks?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #28
jimmyjam
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planter View Post
Jimmy what did you do to get that height? Stack rocks?

Yes strategic stacking of river Rock, and larger rocks on top then capped with Ada . It Took a lot of wrk

Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #29
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Quote:
thanks planter... the setup took a beating once water was added. I used a great deal of river rocks to create the elevation in the back, so once the water was added, the ADA sunk into the cracks and I lost a bit of height. But fear not my friends, it has only diminished some of the height in the back and a few of the stones fell over , which I can make back with a bit more ADA and adjustment and additions of lava rock supports. I used a total of 5 bags of ADA for a 87 gallon tank,... not too bad overall. I hope to have the tank planted very soon.
Yeah I know that feeling I had to re-adjust my layout 3 times because the soil sinking into all of the crevices. It's very disappointing to see your work literally fall apart in front of your eyes knowing there is nothing you can do about it other than re-working after its flooded.

It's that same feeling you get as a kid when you whip your last tennis ball a little too hard at the school wall. All you can do is stand there watching that ball clear the edge of the roof and disappear forever. Sure you can check the other side of the building but as your running around the building deep down inside you know it's gone.

Lol. I know it's a little dramatic.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Quote:
Yes strategic stacking of river Rock, and larger rocks on top then capped with Ada . It Took a lot of wrk

5 bags not bad it looks like a lot more was used. My 36x18 took three bags